Jwc00

No boot, Satellite LED doesn't light.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post. My Satellite x205 s7483 began having screen problems, at first it would just go black and then turn back on (usually while playing games).  Then it progressed to lighting up upon boot but being blank. If I turned it off and on say 4-5 times eventually it would work. The problem persisted and turning it off and on no longer worked. I removed and replaced the bios battery, this didn't help. I got desperate and intentionally overheated the laptop, this did work. By overheating the laptop for some reason it booted up and worked great. Only problem was I had to leave it on because upon restart it would have the same blank screen.

I thought I was so cool by fixing the laptop myself at no cost. But I fear I may have killed it completely. The new problem is it will turn on, completely black screen, no keyboard lights, fans run, disk drive does appear to be working. I get no beeps, and the Satellite LED does not light up.

The BIOS battery is not properly soldered onto the motherboard but it did work like that for awhile. The computer doesn't even appear to try and boot the bios. Could it be the battery? When the Satellite LED wont light up what does this mean? Based on all this info what would you guess is the problem?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: No boot, Satellite LED doesn't light.

[ Edited ]

Satellite X205-S7483 Specifications

Satellite X205-S7483 Downloads

OMG! Whatever possessed you to repeatedly intentionally overheat your notebook?  Heat is the absolute enemy of all computers, especially notebooks!

Regardless, it sounds like only the display is toast, literally in your case. At least so far!

Take your notebook somewhere with an external monitor. With your notebook powered off, plug the monitor into your notebook's external VGA port, power on the monitor first, then power on your notebook. Does it give a display and seem to boot into Windows normally?

What's an external VGA port?

VGA Port

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Jwc00

[ Edited ]

I read somewhere that wrapping the computer up in towels intentionally overheating it could temporarily fix the problem. Its the one of many home motherboard reflow options. I removed the hard drives and battery before doing this. It did work but likely caused more damage.

Connecting to an external monitor does not display anything. It used to display a very glitchy unreadable screen when this first started. Im certain the bios is not booting at all as I get no keyboard lights (caps lock, num lock).

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Jwc00 wrote:...But I fear I may have killed it completely. The new problem is it will turn on, completely black screen, no keyboard lights, fans run, disk drive does appear to be working. I get no beeps, and the Satellite LED does not light up....

BTW, LED is Light Emitting Diode, these are the little lights showing the AC power is plugged in, power on light, battery charged/charging light, HDD activity light. What you're mainly talking about is the LCD - Liquid Crystal Display.
If you're getting HDD activity, then in all likelihood the unit is trying to boot.

Jwc00 wrote:...I removed and replaced the bios battery, this didn't help....The BIOS battery is not properly soldered onto the motherboard but it did work like that for awhile....

You intentionally and repeatedly overheated your notebook, AND you took a soldering iron to the motherboard to remove the BIOS battery? :smileysurprised:
If I was you I'd replace the motherboard entirely, try a new display, and hope for the best. Though, whether a 4-5 year old unit is worth that investment is questionable. Some links that might be useful for you.
Disassembly of a Satellite X205 (though this is apparently something you're familiar with :smileyhappy: )
Satellite X205-PSPB9U-03S026 Parts list breakdown 
With the proper part numbers, you can try and shop around for better prices.
Good luck!
Mike
Jwc00

• You intentionally and repeatedly overheated your notebook: Yes
  • AND you took a soldering iron to the motherboard to remove the BIOS battery: No I attempted to remove it from the metal it was attached to. I accidently ripped it out with one of the soldering balls still attached. I then reattached it and firmly pressed the soldering back to its original spot. This did work for awhile.

I wont be replacing the motherboard. My questions are does the Satellite light not lighting up mean something specific? And could the computer not booting the bios be a result of a fualty cmos battery? If the cmos battery is not connected shouldn't I hear some beeps?

Super Advisor
miker643

Sorry for my mistake with regard to soldering.  :smileyembarrassed: Good question. In all honesty I'm not sure. But, maybe.

The 'beeps' come from the POST check (Power On Self Test). This is performed by the BIOS.The 'Fast Boot' option on some computers/BIOS is a way to skip the POST check, so the unit will boot faster. The purpose of the BIOS battery, is to retain the BIOS settings when the computer is unplugged and/or has no main battery.

But, a bad BIOS battery connection would, I think, break the connection to the BIOS itself. The BIOS battery would not be charged, and hence, the BIOS itself would not be receiving any power, even with the AC plugged in and/or on the main battery. I think. But, I'm not sure.

A close look at the electrontic schematic of the motherboard would be needed. Check your private messages on this site.

Mike