Johnnycable

New L655 Fails to boot after Windows Update

Just bought a L655 S5161x It worked fine, It connected to Windows update, it never restarted,I can't get to recovery screen or safe mode, HDD repair doesn't seem to work to get back to "out of box state" either. Very frustrating, and not impressed with either windows 7 or Toshiba at this point.

Powering up with zero pushed got me nowhere either, no screen showed up with any choice for reinstalling to "out of box state" or operating systems

When booted to Safe mode no GUI screen appears just "safe mode" in each corner a cursor & black screen. The same black screen appears when booted to normalwith just a cursor, no GUI

Guessing maybe a bad video driver update or conflict from windows update, but that helps me none when I can't get to a restore point, there may have been none created. I literally opened the box plugged it in turned it on I gave it the WEP code for my wireless and it connected to Windows Update, downloaded installed and tried to restart which never happened.

Toshiba should offer FREE Downloads of recovery disks for these situations, come on cheap is cheap! $24.95 for shipping, BS..It costs F'in Less than $10.oo to ship almost anywhere in the WORLD.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: New L655 Fails to boot after Windows Update

Satellite L655-S5161X 

When booted to Safe mode..

I infer you can reach the Advanced Boot Options menu using the F8 Key. Safe Mode is one of the choices.

This time choose Repair Your Computer from that menu. 

Can you access the System Recovery Options menu (aka the Recovery Environment)?

-Jerry
Johnnycable

Safe Mode boots up as does windows setup?(well it says it is loading windows files) but with NO graphic user interface...it shows safe mode(text) in all the corners of the screen but nothing else but black screen and a cursor, which does nothing...ordered and recieved the recovery disks, they do nothing as well. I tryed booting in every differen way and I end with with the same thing... I still end up with a black screen and a cursor, and a non working computer!! 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

ordered and recieved the recovery disks, they do nothing as well.

So you have a hardware malfunction.

If you are under warranty, call 800-457-7777.

-Jerry