mol
mol
Accepted Solution

Netbook Recovery Method?

Hi...I just bought a new Toshiba netbook, and am the owner of a third Toshiba laptop.

How do you create a recovery media for the netbook if you did not purchase an external drive?  It seems wasteful to have to purchase one just for this purpose and have it end up in a landfill.  I tried the external from my work lenovo but it didn't appear to recognize it.  I have external USB drives, but the system software INSISTS that it needs a CD/DVD drive to create a recovery disk.  Please be gentle.

Keeping in mind (a) I need to create a recovery media and also to be abe to restore from that media:

1.  Is there a method to do this just using my USB external hard drive?

2.  Is there a method to link to my existing laptop (either directly or via network) to both create a recovery DVD AND recover the netbook using that same laptop DVD drive if needed? 

3.  Can I just copy the entire image directly to the external USB hard drive and would that be of use in a crisis? 

4.  Any other ideas/suggestions very welcome!

Thank you for reading, and for your help!!  Molly.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Netbook Recovery Method?

Which netbook, Molly?

Always provide the full model number when you post.

-Jerry
mol
mol

The netbook is NB305-N600.

The laptop is A660

Thank you!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

mini notebook NB305-N600

For netbooks, Molly, it's most convenient to use USB flash/thumb drives instead of optical discs.

See the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 57 of the User's Guide and runs for 14 pages. Where it says "media," think "flash drive."

NB300 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
mol
mol

OK thanks Jerry, that guidance (that I should be able to do it using a USB drive) is very helpful.  I will try it again and see if I can get it working!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Here's a bump in the road that some people have discovered. The BIOS (F12 boot priority setting) may not show a USB port unless a device is plugged in.

-Jerry
mol
mol

Jerry,

Thanks again.  On my first try, before posting here in the forum, I had gone to the native Windows backup and recover functionality. 

The second time, I followed the user manual you posted, using the Toshiba software.  Using a USB "stick" it is working.  It is formatting the 10GB stick and states that it is saving a recovery image on it.   It did NOT work with an external hard drive connected via USB.  Whether that is just my own particular setup/situation I don't know.  But I thought I would post this follow up info,  in case anyone else runs into the same issue/question.

Sorry to be a case of "RTFM"...but I honestly didn't know the Windows software wouldn't work.  Thanks for being gentle...and helpful.  :smileyhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It did NOT work with an external hard drive connected via USB. 

Nowhere does the manual say that should work, Molly.

But it does lead us to believe you could write discs using a USB-connected optical drive.

-Jerry