Sandy_Okole

Media Creator doesn't recognize USB flash drive

When I insert 16gb USB as requested and click OK, the same pop up comes up and the Creator shows Canceled??

I close the window and try to start again with the same results?  I am not computer savy and am about ready to return this one.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Re: Media Creator doesn't recognize USB flash drive

Hi sense you haven't poted your model number ;which can be found on the bottom of your lap top, i will assume you have W8. You can see how to create USB media here.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/Creating-Recovery-Media-for-Windows-8/ta-p...

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Sandy_Okole

I have followed the Media Creator directions to the letter (about twenty times) and when I plug the USB flash in it immediately gives the "cancelled " message. EVERY TIME. I need help.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Well I don't mean to be harsh,but you haven't followed my directions. I asked you to post your model number. I told you where to find it and you still refuse to post it in your reply!!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

I would suggest you format a USB thumb, at least 16 GB. It will need to be FAT32. Please see attachment!

PS I think you probably skipped right by this!!

IMPORTANT: If you are using a USB Flash Drive you MUST format the drive prior to creating system recovery media. CLICK HERE for instructions on formatting. You CANNOT use an external USB hard drive to create recovery media.

Sandy_Okole

[ Edited ]

My computer is a Satellite L855-S5405, I didn't think the model # woulld make a difference in the procedure.

I have followed your directions and the directions for formating the flash drive,

This is what shows up in the information box: The creating process for all media has been canceled.

Will getting some DVD disc solve the problem, or will media creator continue to refuse to make a recovery copy?

If I can't make a recovery disc, what can I do to insure I can always re install Windows 8 since Toshoba has chosen to not include a disc.?

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi ! The reason for your model number is to know what OS your running ect. I have created a USB recovery with a PNY 16GB  thumb drive. I'm running W7. I also have 5 DVD's,which I have used to recover back to factory settings. I wish I could tell you sure what would work for you, and that the DVD's would work. I can tell you the best way to know you can always be sure you can restore W8. Buy a external HD and create a image of your C drive. I'm sure W8 has that feature to back up your OS. I have mine set to back up every month. I also have a 3rd party program called Macrium Reflect that I use to create images of my OS. It is a freeware program and very friendly to use. Having a image of your OS on a external drive is the best insurance you can have. I'm glad to see that you are trying to prepare for the future. Most people don't and then they wind up in big trouble. If you don't have any luck creating a back up, you can always order the USB from Toshiba here

Dokie:smileywink:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L855-S5405

So Windows 8, Sandy?

Try using Windows own version. (See this message.)

Control Panel > Recovery > Create a recovery drive

Please do me a favor and tell us what the part number of that model is. It looks something like PSKA8U-02900R. See the label on the bottom.

-Jerry
Sandy_Okole

Mystery solved. The two USB thumb drives I was using were SanDisk and they won't work with Toshiba Media Creator.

I got a 16gb PNY thumb drive and everything went as it should.

Thanks to all who responded to my plight.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Sandy! Thank you for the feed back. I got side tracked. Sorry I didn't answer your reply. Good for you!! I 'm sure your reply will help others. Now buy a external HD and keep a image of your HD up dated.:smileywink: I'm glad that I could help. I'm proud for you that you have at least have a USB that you can restore Windows. Good for you. You stayed with it until you got there.:heart:

Dokie!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Interesting. I wonder why that is.

PS..

Please do me this personal favor, Sandy.

I would like to know the part number of your Satellite L855-S5405. This model has turned up in several other threads.

It looks something like PSKA8U-02900R. See the label on the bottom.

Thank you!

-Jerry
Kevinfyhr

Hi all I have the same exact problem with (thanx for all the replies on here I found out) SanDisk!!! I have a Satellite C855D-S5104, part number PSCBQU-00403C., so add that to the list. I am very frustrated. Due to the instructions on Toshiba's site I went out and spent 30 bucks on this USB flash drive to make sure it had enough memory (16 gig as recomended) only to have come home spend two hours trying different things and going through tons of posts. Friggen incompatibility. I wish I would have seen this post first. I would think media such as this should be free anyway and come with the computer. From what I read It's around 30 bucks (it's not just a small shipping fee all said and done) to wait and wait and wait to have it shipped!!  Why can't it at least be downloadable for a small download fee? I already spent enough time and money waiting on this computer. Just irritating. 

Thanks all for your posts!! At least now I know what the issue is.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

"I would think media such as this should be free anyway and come with the computer. From what I read It's around 30 bucks (it's not just a small shipping fee all said and done) to wait and wait and wait to have it shipped!!  Why can't it at least be downloadable for a small download fee? I already spent enough time and money waiting on this computer. Just irritating."

The media is free. It's up to you to create either the DVD's or the USB recovery media, which is what this message is about. I'm not sure what your talking about. How to create recovery media starts on page 54:smileywink:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=3477465&isFromTOCLink=false

Kevinfyhr

" It's up to you to create either the DVD's or the USB recovery media," is exactly what I tried to do but had the incompatibility with the USB I purchased. I didn't read anywhere on page 54 onward where it said to use a USB other than SanDisk. You must have forgotten to put on your glasses when reading the begining of my post. :smileywink: Thank you for posting the link though it may be useful for others reading in here.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi Thank you for your feed back. I read very well. I'm 75 years old and have had cataract surgery. So I see well also. I read the first part of your reply and understood you. What I was responding to was the last part of your reply. I repeat the recovery media is free, but it is your responsibly to create it  on DVD's or USB. I don't see how Toshiba can cover all the different brands and know if every one of them is capable of recording the data. It is good that this brand was flagged not to work well with Toshiba. I posted the link to help you with the recovery feature of Toshiba. I donate my time and my very limited knowledge freely here on the forum. I enjoy what I do. I'm a cancer survivor and this is about all that I can do. I do fish a little. I do not need glasses thanks to modern medical science. Most of the feed back I get is positive. Occasionally I meat a teenager that likes to show me how much they know. 

Dokie!!

Kevinfyhr

Well now you just had to go get mean. Why would you call me a dike you don't know me? I am not a teenager. I am a 40 year old military veteran and now successful consultant. I take it you like your Toshiba. I like mine too. Being your so knowlegable how about I ship it to you for repair? They say blogging is faceless. Apparently you didn't recognize my kindness towards you for helping others and my dry sense of humor. At 75 I would think you would be much more mature. I am happy you made it through your cancer. I had family that wern't so lucky. I think any more posting needs to be relevant to the issues at hand. Media Creator doesn't recognize USB flash drive.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

I did not call you a Dike. I sign all my replies with my forum name which is Dokie. I simply didn't notice. When I did Spell Check it chanced my name. I have better things to do than exchange sarcastic remarks with teeny boppers. My father died of cancer when I was 16. My sister died when she was 40 with breast cancer. I see no sense of humor in your reply. I know from past experience, you will have to have the last word in this exchange, so get it over with. This forum is to help pass forward things we have learned and are still learning to other Toshiba owners. This message was marked solved a long time ago. When you post on a op's message, it's called Hi-Jacking. Please start your own message if you need help.

Dokie!

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi! USAF 1958- 1964 Airman 3rd class. Electrician C130. Service number 16590870 Okinawa If you serviced our country, thank you. If not then spread you BS some where else.  I don't have time to mess with you!

Dokie not  Dike??

david62

Hi ya, Dokie.  I have the same problem with my L455 (P/N PSLY0U-03F02F) running w7-64; the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator doesn't recognize that I have Sandisk 16G flashdrives installed.  The Creator does acknowledge that I want to use a flashdrive, but when I try to use it, I get the same message: to install the drive (I've tried having the drive in a USB port before running Creator, installing the drive when Creator says to install it, and reformatting it before doing both methods), and when I click that the drive is installed, Creator again says to install the drive, and when I click okay, it shuts down the process. So, I guess I'll order a PNY 16G flashdrive; any particular model you'd recommend?

By the way, USAF and USAFR, 22 years (1973-1994), retired as SSGT (out of the Reserves, where I was locked in to my slot), Avionics Instrument Systems, Autopilot, Inertial Navigation (DC130, C141A and B, C5A and B (my favorite), A7D, OV10, A10A, UH1, CH3, CH53, T33).

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi David! I don't know that much about flash drives. I just bought my from Staples. All I know is it's a 16GB PNY. I put my recovery media on it and then tried to boot with it. It booted and so I didn't go any further.

Thanks for your reply. I also have the 5DVD's. The best recovery is Macrium Reflect Free, which creates a image of your C drive and will restore your PC back to just like it was the day you created the image. It's very friendly to use and a great program.

Dokie!!