kev_mc

Installing clean copy of Windows 7 without out-of-box state software?

[ Edited ]

I have the Toshiba Satellite A505-S6025 model and was wanting to do a clean install of Windows 7 on it. Without using the system recovery option and having it formated too out-of-box state. I was just wondering if it would effect the computer in any way? Because I know their are lots of system programs that come a long with it for key features. What do you think?

Regular Advisor
Rickez

Re: Installing clean copy of Windows 7 without out-of-box state software?

You have several options here, but FIRST MAKE the recovery disks!:

1. Manually partition the drive any way you wish and then use System Recovery to restore the image, but select the option: "Recover without changing the hard drive partitions". This will still preserve the recovery partition and leave the partitioning scheme intact so you can still apply the factory image.

2. Manually partition the drive the way you wish, install with your own Win 7 media, then use the "Applications and Drivers" media you created to selectively install just the driver/apps you so choose.

Note: However you partition the drive, will not affect the systems function, with the exception of the Recovery Partition, which if it does NOT exist you will NOT be unable to create your recovery disks.

kev_mc

Ya I got that.. I'm just saying what if I were too install Windows 7 only? You know when you do the whole "Recover to out of box state" and then it comes pre loaded with all of that toshiba software.. will it effect my pc in any way?

Regular Contributor
PoppaZ

Perhaps I can add some usefull information here.  Most, if not all, computer manufacturers no longer provide recovery disks.  Some provide these at a small cost.  They do provide intruction how to make these disks.  There is a great amount of free information available on the internet how to do this.  The hard drive on new machines usually has 2 partitions, 1 is the recovery partition (dive), the other is the system partition (generally drive "C").  These partitions also contain the product bloatwhere specific to there products.  Most users find these utilities very useful.  If you format the drive and install a fresh operating system (lets say Windows 7) you generally will only have 1 partition (drive "C") without the product utilities.  The machine will work just fine.  Keep in mind, you will have to download and install new drivers and operating system updates and perhaps will need to make some system changes, such as screen resolution. I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS FOR MOST USERS.  Most users are starting to understand the need to backup their DATA, very few backup the system.  Anyone that buys a new machine should first make the system recovery disks, then do all the system and driver updates and back up once again. I suggest purchasing a USB hard drive and a product such as CMS Bounceback.  Backup the entire system, perhaps weekly or monthly depending on your useage.  In the event of a hard drive failure, you can swop the drive and be back in business in less than 1 hour.  You can also backup from the spare hard drive.

Stuff Happens !