noajordan

I need a Windows XP Boot Disk CD

Hello,

I have a Satellite L35-S2151 Laptop and it will not load windows all the way as I get a blue screen "Unmountable Boot Volume".  I looked up the error message on Microsoft's website and I need to have a Windows XP CD to start up my machine.  My computer did not come with a Windows CD when I purchased it from Best Buy.  How can I order a Windows XP Reboot CD with Toshiba? I do not want to restore my computer to factory settings, I just want a reboot CD. Please help.

Thanks,

Noa 

Occasional Contributor
winxpuser50

Re: I need a Windows XP Boot Disk CD

Unfortunately, you can't order a Win xp boot disk CD from Toshiba.  I had the same problem you have, unmountable boot volume, had no boot disc (thought the Toshiba recovery disc was a boot disc, but nooooo, it would reformat and erase all my files).  I was advised to burn a CD boot disc from various online download areas, but didn't have a working computer to do it on, nor could I borrow anybody's so I was stuck.  Microsoft only has floppies (6) that you can download for Win XP, but how many of us have floppy drives anymore? not me.  It sucks that Microsoft doesn't keep boot discs around for sale for WinXP users, it's not like WinXP is some ancient OS geez.  But unless you can burn your own boot CD (which isn't as easy as some people lead you to believe , I think sometimes it just doesn't work or is glitchy).  I tried everything to get my system to boot, including buying a Knoppix LIVE CD which I ordered online for $3.99 from a software place.  It didn't work either, but you could always try it for a cheap fix if it works for you. 

I ended taking  out my old hard drive after trying various things with no success, buying a new hard drive , buying a hard drive enclosure to put the old drive in so I could transfer the files I want to save over to the new drive. I'm stuck at that point so far.   I hope you don't have to go all through that.  But I was basically told the best hope is to somehow burn or have someone burn for you a Win XP boot disc CD.  I presume by "disc" you mean CD and not floppy.  If you are looking for floppy boot discs as I said, you can download them onto 6 discs from Microsoft.  Good luck!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L35-S2151

Bug Check 0xED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Yes, you can usually repair that situation by booting to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk /r. See KB555302 and KB297185. (I've made this repair many times.)

You should be able to pick up a cheap XP installation CD at eBay.

Otherwise, you can also reach the Recovery Console using downloadable floppies.

How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation

If you don't have a floppy drive, this one is recommended in the specs for your model.

PA3109U-3FDD Toshiba USB Floppy Disk Drive

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
winxpuser50

When I had this problem myself, I searched ebay for a WinXP boot disc ,etc.  Naturally, you won't find a WinXP boot disc on ebay, just the full retail version of WinXP, the cheapest I found was around  $60-80 on ebay.  That's what I would have had to purchase to get the full version that comes with the recovery console that might have made it possible for me to reboot.  That's why most people suggest burning a boot CD for free with a download from a site.  I decided it   was a bit pricey to buy a full retail version of WinXP just to be able to boot my computer.  However, if it comes down to that, I guess the person looking for a boot disc can do that if necessary.  It can be really frustrating when encountering this type of situation.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Naturally, you won't find a WinXP boot disc on ebay, just the full retail version of WinXP

There is no such thing as "a WinXP boot disc." There is only the installation CD.

But there are all sorts of other boot discs. See BartPE, Knoppix, UBCD4Win, and Ubuntu.

-Jerry