mg33
Accepted Solution

How to use the 5 recovery discs made when new???

[ Edited ]

I have a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5046.  I purchased this laptop new in a factory sealed box, a little over a year ago.

When I opened it, I made the suggested recovery discs using 5 DVD+RW 4.7GB discs.

Well, now after having issues with installing a windows update and a bluetooth adapter, the laptop just doen't work the same. I get script errors on web pages and have been spending way too much time repairing issues like invalid "not genuine Windows 7" messages.

So, I attempted a recovery using the discs made when new, and the computer tells me the recovery disc is not valid.  What the heck?  I did exactly what the computer suggested on new startup. The discs are not damaged and have been stored in a safe place.

Can anyone walk me through using these discs? If I order the recovery discs from Toshiba, will this restore to original condition?

Thanks for the help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: How to use the 5 recovery discs made when new???

Satellite L455-S5046 

You should probably burn new discs first (just in case), but it's faster to recovery directly from the partition on the hard disk.

See the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 60 of the User's Guide.

Satellite L450 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
mg33

AWESOME!  Back to new again!

Thank you so much for the help Jerry!

tslecr

I created the 5 recovery disc. I did label the disc 1of 4, 2of 4 and so on. The 5th disc I labeled as Rec Disc. I went through the whole recovery process and used, as per the instructions, disks 1 through 4 and the process worked fine. My computer is working again with no issues. I did not use the 5th disk during the process. Did I miss something or should the 5th disk be used for something else?

Thanks,

TLC

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't have any discs, but it's my understanding from what I read here that the last one contains drivers, utilities, and so forth in case any need to be reinstalled.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

On both my L775D and L675D, the 5th disk is labeled "Windows Recovery Environment" and contains several folders named "Boot", "Sources", "BootMgr" and "Configuration" for a total of 148MB. For my L305,

there are 3 disks with the 3rd one labeled "Drivers and Applications".

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

On both my L775D and L675D, the 5th disk is labeled "Windows Recovery Environment" and contains several folders named "Boot", "Sources", "BootMgr" and "Configuration" for a total of 148MB.

Thanks, CB. That sounds like it's bootable into the recovery environment, like this "repair disc." Maybe you can compare them.

Create a system repair disc

So it appears I'm wrong about drivers?

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

"So it appears I'm wrong about drivers?"

Well, not completely, that is correct with respect to my L305.  However, I would suspect that current models are  probably more like my other two machines.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

I just made a "System Repair Disk" going through Control panel, Backup and Restore on my L775D and it is identical to the Disk 5 made when I got the machine using the Create Recovery Media process.

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good job, CB! We learned a lot from that.

-Jerry
Regular Contributor
reg_B

[ Edited ]

I also made the 5 DVD set the day I got the Sat P775.

Over time (as is traditional) Windoze has self corrupted, MMC not only stopped working from time to time, it would die immediately, so very little could be run as admin, etc.

OK, so I booted up with the first of my DVDs, selected the option to save and subsequently restore my "stuff", dutifully fed it DVDs 2 through 4 when requested, etc.

At some point an error occured and it exited - now what ?

Looking at this disc from a Linux system;

My boot loader (not its proper name, but that is about what it is called in systems other than windoze) has GONE, so has C:/users, so there are no C:User/me folders. 

There is a folder named "Backup_01-Oct-13" from last night with a size of 229.3 Gig, which looks about right for my "stuff", probably enough for the whole C: drive in fact.

There is another folder "$TOSIMG$"  which I take to be an abbreviation for toshiba image, it has 21 items totally 15 Gig.

This all looks as if the Toshiba recovery tools got as far as backing up my stuff and deleting it from the hard disc just before exiting.

Howeverrrrrr......

If I reboot the recovery DVD it no longer offers to save my stuff - since there is no C:User folder.

Unfortunately it doesn't search for a usable backup, so only offers to do a factory fresh install or erase/reformat the disc.

Comes the question;

How can I use the 229.3 Gig backup to get my stuff back AND repair the windows installation ?

Regular Advisor
bmurray

first off, I'd suggest you start your own thread as your problem is not the same as the op's.

I do not have any experience with using Toshiba tools to back up my personal information.  However, I agree with what you suspect has occured.  Just not sure what to suggest from here. 

Is it possible to restore your computer to an earlier date before you attempted this (prior to 10/1)?  If so, you may want to do that and instead of having Toshiba save your personal data, do it yourself using a program like Acronis True Image or something similar.  Save an image of your entire drive(s) and place on external media then proceed with a restore.

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Regular Contributor
reg_B

Ahhh, "Timing is EVERYTHING - see time stamp on my new thread (-:

Seriously, thanks for replying;

I am not able to figure how it would NOW be possible to restore to an earlier back-up, given that all my "stuff" including back-ups has been tucked away in the Back-up folder that I mentioned above.  

Maybe AFTER I get a running system WITH those back-ups back in place, but once I get that far, well, I guess I will have it all back together by then ?

I think the base question may be what tools can be used to "recover" that area ?
I can copy it all away onto another partition, but if I then restore to "factory fresh" is there a standard Tosh way to get my C:\Users\me\* area back ? 

Things like the registry need to come back too - so my intuition says that a generic back-up/restore program won't do.

That is why I asked about Tosh specific tools.

Thanks again, lets continue this in the new thread ?

Best,

Reg