cfc
Occasional Contributor
cfc

How to restore your Toshiba laptop PC to its factory fresh software condition

Information:

Many Toshiba laptops come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard disk.  From this special hidden image, you can restore your computer to its factory-fresh software condition by following these steps:

To restore the original factory software image on your computer follow these steps:

1. Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
  4. Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer.  Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
  5. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
  7. Click Yes to continue.
  8. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
  9. Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.

Please note that the process may vary slightly from machine to machine, that you may be asked to insert disks (multi-disk packages) and that the process may take one to two hours to complete.  The recovery process will require you to restart your computer several times.

As you use the recovery process you will have several options. One of these may be to create a custom size partition. Follow the directions on screen for this and other options as prompted.  When in doubt, it's usually best to accept the default, or pre-selected option.

JFS
JFS

Re: How to restore your Toshiba laptop PC to its factory fresh software condition

I have a Satellite A105-S1712.  The use of the "0" key when powering on  so far has not worked.  I get a message

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt."

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I get this message regardless if try try the "0" key method or trying to load the Toshiba Recovery and Applications/Driver DVD.  Is telling me that I have a file in the partition that I need to fix or is it on the  CD?  And how do you do that?

pere_gil

Re: How to restore your Toshiba laptop PC to its factory fresh software condition

I have exactly the same issue in my Satellite L500, receiving same boot failure error message. Then, no way to restore to factory settings although I have the HDD Recovery image in the HDD D: unit. Any tip?

wgriff

pere_gil wrote:

I have exactly the same issue in my Satellite L500, receiving same boot failure error message. Then, no way to restore to factory settings although I have the HDD Recovery image in the HDD D: unit. Any tip?

When re-setting your Toshiba laptop, make sure to press and hold the "0" on the qwerty keyboard not the"0" on the keypad. Reason, the keypad functionality has not yet loaded during the bootup.

psandi

Thank for your help i am in the middle of restore my computer now i been at this for two hour until i came across your information. My kids got on my computer and mess it up and i have been mess with this computer for two months again thank for your help
Regular Advisor
billkunert

I would recommend making a set of recovery media in case something happens to the recovery partition on your hard drive.  My personal choice was to create it on a 16 gig USB thumb drive.  There have been many posts on the forum where recovery DVD's failed to work.  The thumb drive means no disk switching and less to go wrong.  This really should be one of the first things you do on a new computer.  You can then eliminate the approx 12 gig recovery partition and make your C drive bigger.

L875D-S7232 (Win 8.1)
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Bill! I was searching for how to restore factory settings with flash drive instead of the CD's and found your reply. Can you tell me how to do that step by step. Thanks! I also prefer the flash drive and have one with factory settings on it. I just need to know how to use it.

Dokie!

Quote!

"I would recommend making a set of recovery media in case something happens to the recovery partition on your hard drive.  My personal choice was to create it on a 16 gig USB thumb drive."

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Regular Advisor
billkunert

Basically it's the same a using dvd recovery.  You need to have the USB device installed then go into bios and set the computer to boot from USB.  If you are using Win8 you need to disable fast boot because the computer will only boot from the C drive in fast boot.  It should boot to a screen which will give you your recovery options.

L875D-S7232 (Win 8.1)
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi Bill! My concern was that the boot order was not showing my 16GB flash drive. It was showing my 1TB seagate as a boot option. I filially figured it out. I have a 1TB external seagate USB that I leave plugged in all the time. I use it to store scheduled back ups of my OS. Once I disconnected it, then my 16GB flash showed up in my boot options:smileywink: I now feel good about all this now. Thank you for your reply! Screen shots show this. Mystery solved.

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

My concern was that the boot order was not showing my 16GB flash drive. It was showing my 1TB seagate as a boot option. I filially figured it out. I have a 1TB external seagate USB that I leave plugged in all the time. .. Once I disconnected it, then my 16GB flash showed up in my boot options:

Good detective work, Dokie. Also a marvelous opportunity to learn more.

Do a bit of experimenting to see what's happening. Does it depend upon which devices are plugged in? Or does it depend upon which USB ports they are plugged in to? In the latter case, you should be able to discover the boot-priority order of the ports.

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi Jerry! Once I safely removed the seagate 1TB while the 16GB flash once plugged in, the seagate no longer shows in the boot order. Only the 16GB flash shows up in the boot menu. Every thing is cool and I feel a lot more secure knowing I have one more way to restore my OS. I have moved the 16GB flash up to second choice in boot order. CD/DVD is first choice. Thanks for your reply sir. I plugged the seagate back in and it's ready for the next scheduled back up. Every thing is the way I want it.

Dokie!

Ps I just got a promotion and I'm very happy about that. This is a great forum with great people and I'm really enjoying it here.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I just got a promotion and I'm very happy about that. This is a great forum with great people and I'm really enjoying it here.

Great! We're glad you joined us, Dokie.

I plugged the seagate back in and it's ready for the next scheduled back up.

Sure. But I don't think we're communicating.

I understand that only one of the USB devices turns up in the boot-priority list. But maybe which one depends upon which USB port you've got them plugged in to. Let us know about that.

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Jerry! I think I'm on board now, anyway I hope so. I removed both devices and switched them around. The device manager shows two USB devices. One is Mass Storage and one is Composite. I don't realy know which one is the 1TB and which one is the 16 GB. In my boot menu, it just says USB now?? My laptop only has three USB ports. Two on the right and One on the left. I have a wireless mouse plugged in one of the ports on the right as you can see in device manager. I hope this is what you were asking. I can be a little thick headed at times, so let me know what else you want me to try:smileywink: Thank you for your kind reply. It really means a lot to me.

Dokie!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I removed both devices and switched them around.  ...  I don't realy know which one is the 1TB and which one is the 16 GB. In my boot menu, it just says USB now??

BP.JPG

Peculiar! Can you boot from that (unidentified) device?

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi! Yes sir! I connected the 16MB flash, restarted and my PC booted to it. I didn't take it any further and hit ESC:smileyvery-happy: Now my device manager shows this!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So as I understand it, plugged in this way you can have both devices seen by Windows Explorer and still boot from the flash drive when it's ahead of the hard drive in the priority list.

Thanks for giving us that interesting information. Never can tell when it might come in handy.

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi! Yes sir! That's the way I see it. I only leave the seagate plugged in and it seems to be working just fine also:smileywink:

Dokie! I'm glad that I could provide that information. Windows Exployer sees both drives and labels one F the other one E. I can see what appears to be factory setting on the E drive(16GB) flash

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Look under Disk drives in Device Manager.

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi! Ok Thanks!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Looks good to me.

DiskDrives.JPG

-Jerry