kjdroid

How many times should the computer cycle on-off when doing a factory reset?

[ Edited ]

I have a Toshiba A665-S6065 which can not boot.  Yesterday I tried the Auto Recovery by holding the 0

while booting, and following the default instructions.  It seemed to complete without errors.  But the computer

will still not boot.  Today, when reading the instructions, it said to expect the computer to cycle on and off severa

times.  So how many times?  will there be any propmts or messages?  How long should the entire process take?

How long should the computer be off before it turns on again each time?  I think I might be screwing things up

by intervening and trying to start the computer myself because it isn't clear to me what should actually be happening.

Could someone please tell me what to expect before I start looking at possible hardwre problems?

BTW, I can access the Setup and Boot Menu.

Thanks,

kjdroid 

NEW info:

Now when I boot while holding the 0 key, instead of going directly to the Recovery Wizard, it goes to the

Windows Boot Manager.

from there the options are Windows Setup [EMS enabled]

and Windows Memory Diagnostic, as well as the F8 option for advanced options.

If I select Windows Memory Diagnostic I get

File: \boot\memtest.exe

Info : The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

If I select Windows Setup or F8 followed by normal windows startup or startup in safe mode then

I get the following sequence of events.

Starting Windows with the Windows logo.

then the blue screen

Then to the Toshiba Recovery Wizard, where it partitions, and does the CRC and then prompts to press

finish to restart the computer.

Either the computer does not shut down, or it stops and starts very quickly because all the lights cycle

on and off but it does not appear that the start/stop light actually ever turns off.

Then I get the Starting Windows with Logo again.

Then the Recovery Wizard comes back but only with the screen about partitioning.  It does not

do the recovery and CRC this time.

Nextis the Toshiba Logo reappears again with the options for F2 or F12 for the Setup and Boot Menus.

Finally, I get a blue screen and it appears nothing else is happening.  I let it sit for 30 minutes before I retry, because I am not sure what is supposed to be happening now.

Also, one of my attempts, I got as far as the messages:

Setting up the Registry

Starting Services

Applying System Settings

Will continue after restarting your computer

Is preparing your computer for first use.

But then again, it just goes into the blue screen state until I finally decide to shut things down.

Am I being premature or should I let the blue screen sit there for a few hours while work is being

done in the background?  I don't hear any sounds from the computer that would indicate any type of activity.

Thanks again

kjdroid

KGM
Occasional Contributor
KGM

Re: How many times should the computer cycle on-off when doing a factory reset?

I have performed a factory reinstall on a protege R830 with an I7 processor by using a USB stick as the source of the recovery media and the whole process took about 1 hour. Not really the same as you are doing by using the hidden HDDRecovery partition as the source but i would assume that shouldn't have a big impact on the time it takes to complete. The system did restart a few times, I think after partitioning the drive and a few pauses where it needed user input for things like 32 or 64 Windows etc but there was never a prolonged period where I wondered if the whole process was stuck.

If you have altered the original hardware configuration from what the factory image is expecting to see you could have driver issue but that is unlikely to cause the long pauses you experienced.

My only suggestion might be to try the process again using recovery DVDs or USB stick if you made them to see if it completes successfully
kjdroid

Yes that is what I am thinking of doing.  I have the recovery disk on order since I neglected to make it myself.

I have a system image on an external drive but it doesn't seem to find it.

I was able to get partially through the boot process by manually shutting-down and restarting the computer

after the built in auto-recovery, and it got as far as

"installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver 12/73" only to say it was rebooting to continue with installation.

The only trouble is, it would turn off the computer, but would never reboot.

I tried this several times, but most of the time the furthest it got was

"installing Microsoft Works 1/73" which would take forever before finally saying it was rebooting.

I hope the recovery disk solves the problem.

Thanks,

kjdroid

KGM
Occasional Contributor
KGM

Hopefully you can rebuild with the DVDs. I would recommend you make a Windows repair disc after you get running assuming you have a CD burner (sorry not familiar with the model of system you have) as it sounds like your original problem might have been solved with it and you wouldn't have had to resort to a full restore. Hindsight is wonderful in that we are all brilliant after the fact :smileyhappy:!!! Good luck
kjdroid

Hey I'm confused.  I thought the disk I am ordering IS the repair disk.  Are the repair and recovery disk

two different things????

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A665-S6065

The recovery discs are Toshiba things discussed on pp. 70-74 in the User's Guide.

Satellite A660 Series User’s Guide

The System Repair Disc is a Microsoft thing. You can download one if necessary.

Create a system repair disc

-Jerry
kjdroid

I think I am at the end of the line with this now.

Yesterday I tried using the repair disk and was able to restore a system image from my most recent backup.

I was able to login and I did all the Windows, Toshiba and McAfee diagnostic tests and all of them showed that

there were no disk problems and no viruses.  I was then able to connect to the wireless and bring up my browser.

Then McaAfee started running its full scan and after about an hour the computer crashed again.

When I tried to reboot it said something had gone wrong and advised me to reboot in Safe Mode.  I did this,

and once again ran all diagnostics which showed no errors.  So I shutdown and tried to reboot in normal mode

but it just hung there.  I then re-inserted the repair disk and again restored my backup, but this time when

I tried to boot, all I got was the blue screen.

Then today the actual recovery disks arrived from Toshiba, and I rebuilt with them.  Again, No errors, but

when I try to start up, all I get is the blue screen?

Should I now replace the HDD?

thanks,

kjdroid

Regular Contributor
cat1092

Actually, it's kind of hard to tell you what to replace. If you have a spare hard drive laying around, go for it. It also could be memory issues (I have the same model as you) & it was my sister-in-law's notebook before I get it. The notebook had several memory dumps that CCleaner found & deleted when I was working on it. 

I told her that I would re-install it for her to make sure there no viruses or such. After backing up the computer, I proceeded to what was supposed to work, pressing "0" at startup to no avail, then booted into the area where the system restore, command line repairs & such were, & there was the option for a factory reset, the last option. I chose that one, & like you stated, it rebooted numerous times, until finally it was through. Longest factory re-install I've ever done. 

What led me to believe there were memory issues was during the first round of updates, it BSOD'd, another memory dump was found by my portable CCleaner. It still had the original Samsung PC3-8500 memory, so I took the memory that shipped with my MSI (PC3-10600) & installed that, then not only was all fine, it was noticably faster. Once I got it fully updated & scanned with MBAM & the ESET Online Scanner (I always do this when installing or re-installing a computer), I removed my memory & placed hers back in, then returned it to her. 

I ended up with it about 10 days later, she said it was still dumping. Needing a spare notebook, I offered $100 for it, ending up paying $150, but still came out way better than on eBay. 

Once I got it, I placed the 6GB RAM back in there that I had, & also replaced the HDD with a extra Crucial M4 that was laying around. Right before swapping drives, I ran HD Tune (free) on the original, there were yellow attributes, meaning that it had issues pending. It's a 500GB Seagate HDD that runs at 7200 RPM. Just so happened, I lost a 500GB Seagate Barracuda desktop HDD (7200.11) less than a month ago. Booted the computer, the screen stated "No Operating System found". 

So it could be either the HDD or memory (RAM). Or worse yet, the MB itself. Has it been dropped? Notebooks are fairly durable, but they don't take to being dropped very well. Does it run hot? If so, there may be severe dust buildup that's causing it to overheat, that will make it BSOD. My guess is that's it's one of the first three that I mentioned above & if it's the MB, forget it. Prices are too high, even for used ones & in a notebook, it's basically a total teardown to replace it. If it's a new MB, it may cost between $200 to $400, depending on popularity of the model. That's too much to pay to repair a computer built in 2010. 

I'm trying to give some suggestions here, based totally on personal experience on my & other's computers that I work on. However, online it's a cat & mouse game. I don't want to tell you to purchase another HDD unless it's almost 100% certain that's the issue. Which is why I asked if you have a spare earlier. Also, try reversing the position of your memory sticks (a 5 minute job), it's behind that lid close to the battery underneath the notebook. 

Post back if you need further assistance. Someone else may have other ideas, so follow the thread.

Best of Luck,

Cat

kjdroid

Two things more which I tried:

From the Repair disk I selected Startup Repair

then I  got the message Startup Repair could not detect a problem

"If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or a portable music player,

remove it and restart your computer.  If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator

or computer manufacturer for assistance"

And also when I selected Memory Diagnostics it never seems to do anything when I restart but just

goes back to the Repair disk menu.

Regular Contributor
cat1092

Has the factory recovery DVD's arrived yet? My guess is, provided there's no hardware issues, that's going to be your best bet. In the meantime, the best that I can suggest is mabye some simple things. Like removing & running on one RAM stick, trying each to see if it'll run on one. If it's the stock RAM, it's only going to be 2GB (PC3-8500), but if there is a bad stick. That was my issue, memory dumps. That can cause some of the things you're describing (the BSOD's). However, it's nornal for it to restart 12-15 times during the reinstall process, at least from the recovery partition. I haven't used the 4 DVD set (or the Flash drive option), of which I have both of. You're given the option to create either or both when creating a recovery set. I really like the Flash drive option, that's how I installed Windows 8 Pro onto several computers, as well as many versions of Windows 7. So much faster, even at USB2 speeds. Hopefully I didn't get a lemon on this notebook, I've read a few bad things about this notebook, but then again, part of the longetivity is how it's taken care of, how it's handled. That's what I didn't read, is what caused these issues. One thing for certain, I already see that I'm going to need a notebook cooler to run Linux Mint 14 on this one (same as yours). MB temps are about 10C more than Windows 7, not really too out of line (my HP desktop runs hotter), but still, every degree dropped counts. There's one last thing that you can try, that is if you can download one, or have one around already. A Linux install DVD/CD. It's bootable into "live mode", where you can run the browser (usually Firefox), many uses this as a diagnostic tool. If you can run it a while w/o crashing, about the normal time that the machine is doing so, this could eliminate some things. The computer has to work harder to run it, therefore stress is going to be placed on the RAM. I highly advise you do download & run one of these for a couple of hours or so to make sure the notebook runs fine It doesn't have to be new, though the newer the better, the thing is, to get it working. If it'll run the Live CD for an hour or so w/no problems, I'd be more inclined to say go for a new HDD. They're on promo at Newegg almost daily. http://www.newegg.com/ Cat
kjdroid

Yes Recovery DVDs arrived but theres no more luck with them than with the internal recovery.

About rebooting, the issue isn't how many times it reboots, but rather that it mostly NEVER reboots.  It says it is

going to, but then either shuts down completely or only gets to the BSOD.

kjdroid

nijoani

In the past on older computers I have experienced boot recycling and I believe that was caused by aboot sector virus.  I

when ever I do a system recovery I always do a disk wipe which prints a zero to every thing on harddrive, download killdisk or copywipe,  It is an extra step, but you know the boot sector virus is gone.  I do not trust virus scans to eliminate virus completely they are very well hidden.  I recently opened a Fed ex email and got nailed by a real bad virus.  so after I got all my stuff off I tried a bootup linus virus scan, it did not work.  I wiped the HD with copywipe and tried to install a new vista OS from the recovery disks I ordered from T.  I got a can not load preinst5.swm and a 10-fc06-0002 error.  on the internet they say it was a bad recovery disk.  I tried a Dell vista recovery disk and it loaded  smooth, only problem was it would not accept my key from my comp sticker as it was for vista biz instead of home premium.  you can clone the image onto your HD by installing it on the SATA drive for a DVD on another computer, wiping the partition, and copying the image on to the partition.  I have used downloaded HD clone sottware to clone one running HD to another.  When You get a Blue screen it is important to write down the error code on the blue screen.  Google that number and see whether you can diagnose it from there.   I have done that to find memory (RAM) errors and fixed the problem by replacing RAM.  Another option is to download the HD diagnose and repair software from the HD manufacturer.  This can fix bad sectors.   If you have visuals then Your motherboard is probably OK.  another common problem is overheating if it is hot the fan may be bad or the heat sind may need cleaning.   Usually you will get an error message for bad fan and the computer will shut down

kjdroid

I never get any error codes on the blue screen.

But I finally took a gamble that it was the HDD, so I went and bought a new seagate equivalent replacement.

That fixed the problem, so I am finally booted up on my own computer, and now just have to restore my

most recent backup.  One thing about this experience, I was back to using the public computers at the

local community college, and mad it obvious how slow my computer had become.

I though that was because a recent McAfee update was causing memory usage to be consistently around 55%.

But also my Nividia display driver was crashing a lot recently so maybe that was an indication the drive was about to

crash also.