pinguino1

How many DVD I need to backup and/or create an ISO image?

I have a Satellite A505 with a 500 GB HDD.

I have 300 GB free space

How many DVD I need to do a regular files backup?

How many DVD's I need to do a system  recovery backup?

How many DVD I need to do and ISO image?

New at this, do you have any other advise I need?

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: How many DVD I need to backup and/or create an ISO image?

recovery DVDs anywhere from 3 to 5 usually depends if you use dual layer or not and i recommend getting an external hard drive for your regular HDD back ups. the only other thing i can think of is make sure you make your recovery media soon so you dont forget. it cost $25 to get a set from toshiba.

hope that helps

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

200 gb compressed to DVD would be at least 30 DVDs and probably more.  Like civicman stated an external hard drive would be a better option for complete backups. 

You should still create the Recovery DVDs though. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
dbrown

There are also tools you can find on the web to "zero out" unused disk space... which makes the compression work better.. so the compressed image is smaller (ie. fewer disks).

I think you also want to do as much clean up as possible, defragment to reduce the used space too, then apply a tool such as above. 

The scenario is that when you delete a file, the disk is not cleaned of data, the table enrty is eliminated and the space released for re-use. Zeroing the data actually makes (writes) the data zeros and they pack nicely.

Regards,
dbrown
NB205-N325BL, Win 7/32.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

The 200GB I mentioned was taking into account his unused space (he has 300 gig free from a 500 gig drive) so I stand by what I stated.  Defragmenting would have absolutely NO effect on the amount of space used.  I've done this so many times I have a very good idea about how much a Windows partition can and can not be compressed. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

agreed

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.