Cluckney

Holding Down 0 (zero) Key To Recovery Screen Doesn't Work

Now that my eyes hurt from reading the entire board to see if anyone else has had this problem - here I am.

I have an A305-S6898 Satellite running BIOS 1.5, MS Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2) 64bit, that I'm trying to reset back to "out of the box" settings. User Guide says to power down the computer, hold down the 0 (zero) key and power it up. When I do that all I get is a retalitory beeping from the computer which goes right ahead and boots up on to windows when I finallly let go of the zero key. I understand from my readings that the TOSHIBA SYSTEM VOLUME may be corrupted .. but shouldn't it at least bring up the recovery screen when I hold down the zero key?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Holding Down 0 (zero) Key To Recovery Screen Doesn't Work

Satellite A305-S6898

It won't go to the Toshiba Recovery menu if the Toshiba Recovery partition is deleted or corrupted. You could try making the recovery disks, but your odds don't sound good now. Go into Windows, click on 'Start', type in   recovery   then click on the 'Recovery Media Creator', follow the directions there, you'll probably need 3 DVDs. But, again, if your Toshiba recovery partition was accidentally deleted or corrupted, this won't work either.

Need a set of recovery disks?

Ordering Recovery Media

Mike

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Hello.

You wrote : hold down the 0 (zero) key and power it up. When I do that all I get is a retalitory beeping from the computer.

No, no ! Wait until the Toshiba logo is up screen. The beeping that you get is from the key being held down too long. Peck on the 0 ( zero ) key when the BIOS is trying to boot. Methinks.

Good luck if the partition is gone as 643 mentioned. But there is no sweat as obvioulsy you have made the Recovery DVDs.  :smileyvery-happy:. . .Jean.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sometimes the F8 key will get you there when the zero key does not.

Pressing the Zero Key While Powering on the Computer Does Not Start the Toshiba Recovery Wizard

-Jerry
Cluckney

Yeah I looked for that Recovery Media Creator ... Doesn't exist. I am sure the partition is there but you're probably correct .. its corrupted.

Thanks for the info/input!

Cluckney

Yeah.. it doesn't matter "when" I hold the 0 key, it still does the same thing. I have the original recovery disk in a garage in california... unfortunately I'm in Hawaii... LOL

Thank you for the input!

Cluckney

Yeah..tried F8, F10 thru F12..nuttin works.

Thanks for the input... when I finally find out what the resolution is I'll post it here.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I suppose you'll need to access that garage. In the meantime, have a good time in Hawaii!

-Jerry
Cluckney

Thanks Jerry! I am having a blast ... will be home in a couple weeks.. BUT its all for naught... the BIOS just died and now I have a great big paper weight....THIRD Toshiba in two  years that has crapped out on me out of the blue! I'll be shopping when I get home...but won't be a Toshiba unfortunately.

Thanks for ALL of you guys' help .. I've learned a LOT!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Too bad. Hope the rest of the trip works out better!

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Cluckney, hello. A scott name if ever there was.

Tell me, is the Toshiba running at all ? I gather that only the Recovery will not be done ??? Right ?

Can you go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computor Management -> Disk Management and see if you  still have that  Recovery Partition. Better still, type in Start : Disk Management. You should be able to see if that Partition is still there.

Worth a try ! Jean.

NB: When you get back home, send me the machine to have a look. No guarantee, no fee.  :smileywink: