Tricon

Holding Down 0 (zero) Key To Factory Restore Doesn't Work

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I've been trying to restore my laptop to it's factory settings (fresh install), holding down the 0 key won't let me boot into the recovery wizard. I've also tried with F8, and F12. F8 takes me to the advanced boot options, from there I tried going into 'Repair My Computer' but then I don't see the Toshiba Recovery option.. just the normal restore options.

I'm not sure if my recovery partition is corrupt, I do however have the E: (data) partition and I can see that both the folders 'HDDRecovery' and 'PFiles' are there.

I haven't created my 4 recovery discs before (when I first got the laptop), is it too late to create them now? I can still normally login into Windows.

Here's a screenshot of my Disk Management:

http://i.imgur.com/nflbCD2.png

And my E: (recovery files) partition:

http://i.imgur.com/eN9dpMW.png

'HDDRecovery' folder:

http://i.imgur.com/Cg54YF3.png

Thank you!

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Re: Holding Down 0 (zero) Key To Factory Restore Doesn't Work

[ Edited ]

Hi! Not all models have the O Key option. You should read your user Manuel to see how to restore back to factory. Always post your model number with your message. It can be found on the bottom of your laptop. To use my back to factory restore, I have to inter F12-Select HHD Recovery- Press Enter.

No it's not to late to create your recovery discs if your recovery partition is not corrupt. This is a USA forum and I see your screen shots are in a foreign language:smileywink:

Dokie!!

PS This is copied from my user manuel!

Make sure the computer is turned off.
2 While powering on your computer, press the F12 key when the
initial TOSHIBA screen displays.
The boot menu appears.
3 Using the arrow keys to scroll down, select the HDD Recovery
option, and then press the ENTER key.
4 If your system offers a choice of Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit
operating system, select one at this time.

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Macc2101

I am not having success with this same operation.  I have pressed F12 when the computer restarts and the only thing I see on my screen is "Boot Menu".  If I select the HDD, it takes me to safe mode.   ?????

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi Ok I can't read your language and neither one of you has posted your model number which can be found on the bottom of your laptop. I don't know what operating system you have or any thing else about your PC. Toshiba has two methods to restore to factory settings if you have W7. I don't know much about W8. On W7 you have a hidden partion that has back to factory that you can use and you should have made recovery discs that you can use. You need to read your user guild to see how to use the recovery method. Different models have different ways to restore back to factory settings. I can give you the link Toshiba has here on the forum

ackup and Recovery

If these steps haven't fixed the problem, the final step is to back up your data and perform a recovery. A recovery will return a laptop to its original, out-of-box state and eliminates software as a possible cause. If the hard drive has become corrupted or if you have a virus, this is a great fix. While you may be hesitant to perform a recovery, if you're considering having your laptop serviced, a recovery is a necessary step of the repair process. In addition, we'll discuss options of backing up your data.

9. Backing up your data

If you were able to enter Safe Mode in step 5, backing up your data should be easy. To use Safe Mode to back up your data, perform the following.

• Enter Safe Mode as you did in step 5.
  • Connect a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
  • Copy your important files to the flash drive or external drive.

If you were not able to enter Safe Mode, you may want to try rescuing your files. This method is only for advanced users. If it's too difficult for you, you may consider asking someone to help or taking your laptop to a professional. 

10. Recovery

As a final step, try performing a recovery. As mentioned previously, recovering a laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping all data, documents, settings, and applications. Remember to backup your data!

1. With the computer turned off, press and hold the '0' (zero) key.
  2. Continuing to hold it, press the power button.
  3. Continue holding '0' until the recovery utility begins.

If you have trouble starting the recovery procedure, you may consider ordering recovery media. If the recovery does not fix the problem, your laptop may not be booting due to actual hardware failure. Please contact customer support to set up a repair.

The following links provide additional information about system recover media and system recovery options:

11. Contact support

If none of these steps helped you, please contact customer support.

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.