priyak

Hard disk error on Toshiba Satellite A505 56980

Hello,

Windows keeps bringing up a notification that the hard disk on my Toshiba laptop(A505 56980) has errors. It recommends for me to get hardware technical support to determine if the disk can be repaired or needs to be replaced.

My disk name is TOSHIBA MK5055GSX and I have only one volume C:\ drive.

I am running my antivirus scan just to make sure I don't have any active viruses or trojans damaging my hard drive. My computer freezes for a few seconds on and off. Not sure if this is related to the hard disk error.

I have backed up all my info and also created system recovery disk. I also have the recovery disks from when I got the laptop.

My question is how do I go about diagnosing the hard disk error and geting it fixed? What is the warranty for hard disks? I bought this laptop beginning of last year.

I appreciate any help I can get to resolve this problem.

Thanks

- Priya K

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Hard disk error on Toshiba Satellite A505 56980

[ Edited ]

Priya

Perhaps your model name/number is Satellite A505-S6980?

Satellite A505-S6980 Specifications

Satellite A505-S6980 Downloads

Restart your system, when you see the Toshiba logo start pressing the F8 key repeatedly until you enter the Advanced Boot Options Menu, choose 'Repair Your Computer'.

Advanced Boot Options

This should take you to the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRe)

WinRe Win7

Select 'Command Prompt', and type in this command, hit the 'Enter' key, and restart your computer:

chkdsk c: /r

This will check your hard drive, try to recover any corrupted files/data it can, and repair any problems it can. It takes a while to run anyway. But, if there are problems with your hard drive, it could take many hours. Just keep checking back, it will give a report as it goes, and when it's finished.

Let us know the results. Good luck.

Mike

priyak

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed response. I will follow the steps and get back to you with the results.

- Priya

priyak

Hello Mike,

I tried the steps as you had mentioned. The chkdsk went through 5 stages. On the fourth stage, it said it replaced some bad clusters. During stage 5, it said it discovered free space that was allocated by the master file table. It said that windows has made corrections to the file system.

In the end it provided statistics where it indicated there was 0 kb in bad sectors. The last sentence reads "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50"

Other than these messages, the rest of the report looked fine.

I restarted my computer after that and I get the same windows message about the disk error.

So what can I try next please?

Thanks

- Priya

Super Advisor
miker643

I would ensure you keep your system fully backed up at all times, and make sure your set of Toshiba Recovery disks is good. Your hard drive may be failing, and could go at any time.

Please do a 'PrtSc' screen print of the HDD error message you are getting, and post it as a picture file attachment to your next post.

Mike

priyak

Hi Mike,

I understand this will be a hardware problem. I might end up replacing the hard drive if it cannot be repaired. I am taking it in to be diagnosed. Attached are the error messages in a Word document. Msg1 comes up as part of the notification when I click on it. Msg2 comes up when I boot up the system and every once in a while.

Thanks

- Priya

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Priya

Your hard drive is failing, there is no repairing it. Buy a new hard drive. Stick with a 5400RPM, the 7200's run too hot in general for a notebook.

Install it yourself. It ain't rocket science. See 'Step 7' below:

Satellite A505 Disassembly

Use your Toshiba Recovery media to rebuild your system. See page 70 of your User's Guide. Restore your data from the backups. You're back in business.

Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

Mike