hoosiergranny

Hard Drive damaged?

Toshiba Satellite L755- S5216

Here is what happened: Laptop dropped. No damage to screen.

Attempts to power up result to an eventual blue screen. Start up disks eventually result in blue screen. At no time am I given the ability to type in dos commands. Advice so far is to replace hard disk drive. We are days past the one year from date of purchase, not that it matters since this was not a warranty event.

So does replacing the hard disk drive sound like a viable option?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Hard Drive damaged?

[ Edited ]

Satellite L755-S5216 Specifications

Satellite L755-S5216 Downloads

...Attempts to power up result to an eventual blue screen. Start up disks eventually result in blue screen....

Tells us nothing. What exactly do these blue screens say? Exactly what start up disks are you referring to? The Toshiba Recovery disks? A Windows 7 System Repair disk? A Windows 7 retail disk? Or?

Power on the computer, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo repeatedly press the F8 key until you hopefully reach the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select 'Safe Mode with Networking'.

Win7 ABOM

Assuming you can get this to work, post a reply back here and answer the questions above, then use the 'Attachments' feature below the text box, click 'Browse', and browse your way to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder, and attach any *.dmp files you find from the relevant dates back here.

Good luck.

Mike

hoosiergranny

Thank you Mike, I really appreciate your response.  So here's the next chapter:

F8 did not take me to a safe mode option.

I took me to a screen: For Atheros PCIE Ether;net ControllerV2.0.2.3(05/18/10)

Check cable connection!

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

No Bootable Device- Insert Boot Disk and Press any Key.

___ DOS Prompt

Inserted Recovery Disk #1 “Windows is loading files”

DOS prompt goes away

Flashes Microsoft box briefly then nothing.

Mouse pointer present and movable, but totally blank screen.

At this point I went away to do other stuff. I came back to it a couple of hours later. I was

surprised to find a screen asking which option I choose under TOSHIBA RECOVERY WIZARD.

I chose “Recovery of Factory Default”. It asked for the boot disk,  so I inserted Recovery Disk 1 (I had created Recovery Disks when my daughter bought the laptop).

First it said “preparing.

Next “initializing partition please wait”.

That took a long time so I left again for a couple of hoursl

When I returned I saw: Error has occurred

Error: 08-0E89-0000

Please press OK to exit

Drat, so close...

I looked up the Error # and found 2 fixes, neither of which is possible since I can't boot up.

Do you know of any more options?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

....F8 did not take me to a safe mode option.

I took me to a screen: For Atheros PCIE Ether;net ControllerV2.0.2.3(05/18/10)

Check cable connection!

No Bootable Device- Insert Boot Disk and Press any Key....

This means that the system can find no boot device. Perhaps your hard drive has failed, perhaps only the boot paritition is messed up. The recovery disks will not be able to install to the hard drive if it has failed or is having intermittent problems.

Due to the drop, the hard drive may just not be making a good connection. I would remove, then replace and reseat the RAM, hard drive, and DVD/CD drive. See these instructions:

Satellite L755 Disassembly

Then, boot up off the Toshiba Recovery Disk number 1, by putting the disk in the drive, restart, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press the F12 key to enter the boot sequence menu, select the DVD/CD Optical Disk Drive with the up/down arrow keys, hit enter, return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box setup. Keep an eye on it, you're going to have to change disks at some point.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

hoosiergranny

Mike, thanks again for your response.  My daughter removed the hard disk, CD/DVD, memory  and some other stuff until I stopped her.  She reassembled everything (only 5 unidentified screws).  The laptop powered up, I went to F12 as you instructed.  I chose the CD/DVD drive and started the recovery disk 1.  The process was actually working; I got to disk 4 before the error:10-FC-045D came up and kicked me off again.  I looked up that code and no surprise, it is a hard disk drive problem.  I am thinking the only thing to do now is replace the hard drive; do you agree?

Thanks again,

Cathy

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...She reassembled everything (only 5 unidentified screws)...

This is not good. This could now be the source of the problem. The disassembly guide I sent you is quite detailed about what screws to remove. I would strongly recommend for your daughter to go through the process again, work backwards through the directions, try to figure out where the screws go. Check the hard drive especially. Did she remove any of the screws on the hard drive mounting bracket? Did she replace the one screw holding the hard drive mounting bracket to the laptop case, clearly shown in the picture in Step 3?

To follow my previous post, there was no need to go beyond Step 5. There were only 7 screws total in this process! Be careful not force any screws, try find the correct screws for the correct holes, as she clearly did not keep track of what screws go where.

After trying to resolve the screw dilemma, on another unit, download this Windows 7 64bit Repair Disk and burn it to disk using Free ISO Burner or any other ISO disk burning software. On the problem Toshiba boot up using the repair disk. To do this insert the disk in the CD/DVD drive, restart, at the Toshiba logo press F12, at the boot sequence menu use the up/down arrow keys to select the DVD/VD Optical Disk Drive, and hit the enter key. This will take you to the WinRe. Select Command Prompt, at the command prompt type in the following command and hit the enter key:

chkdsk c: /r

This takes a while to run anyway. If it finds any problems it could take quite a while. Let us know what if any problems it reports at the end.

Mike

hoosiergranny

Mike, thank you for continuing to try to help me, even when I (we) do dumb things. My daughter went back thru the steps and identified all the screws and has reassembled the laptop.  I then did as you said and downloaded the Windows 7 64 bit repair file and burned it with your Free ISO Burner.  I inserted the disk and did the F12 thing and made it to the command prompt.  I ran the chkdisk c:/r.  After several hours it finished all 5 steps.  It really didn't tell me anything and the screen just went away while I was beginning to copy the whole message.  I am feeling particularly stupid right now.  Should I run the chkdsk again with /f ?  Should I throw the laptop out the window?  No, that's just what I WANT to do with it.  Any more suggestions?  Thanks again.

Cathy

hoosiergranny

Oh, I tried the Recovery disk again.  F8 did nothing, F12 took me to the Boot menu, and the ODD selection took me to the "Select a process" screen.  In the Toshiba recovery wizard I chose Recover to out-of-box state, and warns me I will lose all data and partitions will be deleted.   Recovery begins preparing, and initializing the partition.  Next I get Error: 08-0E89-0000, which is caused by windows system files damage.  No surprise there.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

It would now seem probable that the hard disk drive does in fact need to be replaced. Any laptop HDD the same size will do. Read the specifications carefully and do NOT buy a drive that uses the Advanced Format technology. There have been a number of problems both during and after using the Toshiba Recovery to rebuild these drives.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Damon824

I have had a extremely similar problem with my satellite C855 except it was not dropped I left it to do a long download came back to bios error
For Atheros PCIE Ether;net ControllerV2.0.2.3(05/18/10)
Check cable connection!
No Bootable Device- Insert Boot Disk and Press any Key.... I'm replacing it but I would like a second laptop if possible I'm very computer smart and have tried recovery complete wipe everything nothing works.
Regular Advisor
bmurray

What C855?  Please provide the full model number.  it is printed on the bottom.

Is it possible for you to remove the hdd and connect it to a known working computer?  If so, try running a check disk and check the box for repair damaged sectors.  hdd mfgs also provide diagnostic programs which I would suggest you run to see whether the drive is healthy and just has corrupt data causing problem.

Do you have a recent back up image of your computer system?

How exactly did you attempt to conduct a recovery?  recovery media or hidden recovery partition?

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit