ndh777
Accepted Solution

Getting/Creating Disks

I have the Toshiba L755 and was wondering about creating some Recovery disks just in case anything happens in the future to this machine. The only place that I found where I can do this is through Windows' System Recovery which only allows you to recover to a previous time in your computer's lifetime with you but not to a complete factory restoration.

I have found the application that is in my Start menu under "TOSHIBA" that says "Recovery Media Creator" except when I try to launch it, either in regular or right-clicking Run as Administrator, it tells me that it "Can not get Disk driver information" with another transparent window in front of it saying "Please wait.." When I click "Ok" on the "Can not get Disk..." window, it brings up a third window saying, "No HDD Recovery Area! The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator cannot be launched." Is there any way to get this thing running so that I can make some disks?

If not, I know that I can order disks for the computer from Toshiba, but I'd rather not do that if I can help it. Is there any other way to make disks?

Thank you.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Getting/Creating Disks

Which Satellite L755? There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
hectorlk

Hello. There is another way to do the recovery disk. The Norton Ghost software. But it is not free. I will find out another and then I will tell you.

ndh777

Thank you, Jerry! I had been wondering where to find that exact number.

My model number is the Toshiba Satellite L755-S5106

ndh777

Really? Thank you, hectorlk. I'll check that Norton program out.

The main reason why I'd rather wait on contacting Toshiba for a disc is that I'd rather have it in my hands today if possible or if I ever lose the disc.

Is there an issue with the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator though? Or am I not doing something right?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite L755-S5106

Maybe this one?

Satellite L755D-S5106

I have found the application that is in my Start menu under "TOSHIBA" that says "Recovery Media Creator" except when I try to launch it, either in regular or right-clicking Run as Administrator, it tells me that it "Can not get Disk driver information" with another transparent window in front of it saying "Please wait.." When I click "Ok" on the "Can not get Disk..." window, it brings up a third window saying, "No HDD Recovery Area! The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator cannot be launched."

I've read here there's a "verify" option that should be turned off. Try that.

A new machine should not have that difficulty. I would call Toshiba at 800-457-7777 and get advice under your warranty.

Symantec's Ghost and other third-party imaging backup programs capture the system as it is. They cannot restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents.

And you don't need those anyway. Windows 7 has it's own.

Back up your programs, system settings, and files

You should use it. We back up our hard drives every single day.

-Jerry
ndh777

Oh yeah, I use that program already where Windows backs up my information on a regular basis. If the Ghost program does that, then you're right that I don't need that nor do I really want it.

Yes. My computer is the L755D-S5106. Sorry, I forgot the D.

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated. I'll contact Toshiba right away and see about this.

Can you explain more about this "verify" button? I've tried even looking in the C: directory where Toshiba's Recovery Media Creator is located and couldn't find any additional programs associated with it to change the settings. Opening that program only gives me an error and doesn't go any further than that point.

ndh777

You know what guys...I found my problem. It is unrelated to Toshiba making a bad device. It's entirely my fault.

A few days ago, I tried installing Ubuntu Linux on this Toshiba and was unsuccessful. Ubuntu's boot, known as GRUB, was making it so that the default Windows' boot selector could not be accessed. Luckily I had created a Windows disc a few days earlier (one that allows access to the Windows basic recovery like fixing boot issues, command prompt, etc.) and I was able to successfully remove GRUB from my computer. When I got back into Windows, I began to do some advanced stuff within my hard drive such as deleting partitions that I believed to be associated with GRUB and Ubuntu. I removed everything associated with GRUB but I had also removed the Toshiba Recovery partition in the process which created this error within the program.

According to this forum post from our European sister forum, this is what I have discovered. Sorry to waste everyone's time. Thank you for all of your help.

My solution to fix this will have to be to order a disc from Toshiba to get factory settings. Once I use that disc, my recovery partition should come back and this program will work once again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I had also removed the Toshiba Recovery partition in the process which created this error within the program.

Yes, that explain everything nicely.

My solution to fix this will have to be to order a disc from Toshiba to get factory settings. Once I use that disc, my recovery partition should come back and this program will work once again.

Exactly.

Good luck!

-Jerry