process91
Accepted Solution

Frozen on "Configuring System"

[ Edited ]

Model: Satellite L505D-GS6000

I first attempted to perform the restore by pressing and holding the 0 key upon startup. I have also used the recovery media that I created from this laptop. Either method yields the same result: Windows appears to be installed successfully, the computer restarts and then begins going through a restart loop where the text "Configuring System" appears above a progress bar with the Toshiba logo in the background. The computer restarts 3-4 times, after which point the computer starts up and goes to the same "Configuring System" screen except this time everything is frozen - the progress bar is not moving, the mouse does not move, I can't Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of it.

I left it this way for perhaps an hour with no change, at which point I forced shut down by pressing and holding the power key. Upon reboot I am greeted with a typical Windows 7 login with two options, "Administrator" (which leads to a message saying that the administrator account has been disabled) and "Other User" which prompts me for a username and password, which I don't know because I haven't actually set up any account on this machine yet.

I was able to log in using Safe Mode, and then removed the Toshiba utility (b1.exe I think) from the start menu so it no longer started upon every load. I then added a user and was able to start the machine all the way up but then I have two problems:

1. Under the device manager, there is an item (listed twice) which is "Express PCI to USB bridge" (or something like that) which has an error - "The device cannot start".

I was unable to access a USB drive I plugged into the machine and so, assuming that it was related to this error and perhaps the configuration was unable to install some of the drivers, I ran the Toshiba driver utility included in the start menu, installing any drivers I felt appropriate, none of which resolved the error in the device manager. I restarted the PC and this time, I had a worse problem:

2. A few seconds after logging in, the mouse and everything else completely freezes up.

I was able to move the mouse freely for as long as I wanted to before logging in. This is the state the PC is in now, although I would happily reformat it again if necessary.

makar32

Re: Frozen on "Configuring System"

I have the same problem with my computer! Every time I'm in the process of restoring my computer, it ALWAYS freezes when it goes to the "Configuring System" screen. We both need help!!!
process91

I ended up fixing my problem.

First, I should mention that the reason my problem was happening was due to a motherboard fault. Specifically, there is a small part on the motherboard which, due to pressing hard on the touchpad, can break. I found this out, however, after finding a way around the frozen "Configuring System" issue.

To get around a frozen "Configuring System" screen, boot the laptop into Safe Mode, then go into Start -> All Programs -> Startup and select the b1.exe program there. This will run the rest of the Toshiba Configuration, at which point you will then be able to set up a user account and move on.

Then, if you have the problem which I had which caused the laptop to freeze up once you logged in, go into Safe Mode and the run "msconfig". Select a diagnostic startup, and reboot into the normal windows. Now, add back items until you find the problem. I assumed (correctly) that one of the Toshiba applications was causing the freeze up, so I simply uninstalled them all, however you could be more precise than this if you actually want the Toshiba programs on your laptop.

All this allowed me to have a working laptop, with the exception of the USB ports and the sound - at this point I had a yellow caution triangle in the Device Manager on the High Definition Audio Device, and there was an error saying it could not start. Also, if I tried to plug anything into the USB ports, it simply wasn't recognized. That's when I found this thread:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Audio-Sound/no-sound-usb-on-satellite-l505d-gs6000/td-p/172564

I took apart my laptop and found the exact same issue, the L4519 chip was slightly askew just as in the picture there. I plan on resolding them shortly. I'm not sure if this is the same issue as you have, but I would suggest opening up your laptop first and checking. It's not too hard, in fact you don't have to remove the whole motherboard, just check out this page:

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L505-L505D/remove-laptop-motherboard-1.htm

You only need to go up to step 17, then just check to see if that part had come loose.

ylcole

Hello, I am having the same problem.

My computer shut down improperly and I have been have a lot of touble restoring it.

I first went to Geek squad who sent me to Toshiba support who then told me to restore my computer completely, after that failed, twice, they then told me that it is my hard drive.

So, $49.99 for Toshiba and $60 for a new hard drive, plus $29.99 for the recovery disk, and my computer is still doing what it did before I called them and it is freezing on "configuring systems".

I think that the screwed chip on the motherboard from tapping too hard on the touch pad explains a lot. I hope that this works. 

Downside if this works, I wasted $140..... 

ylcole

So, I did this,

To get around a frozen "Configuring System" screen, boot the laptop into Safe Mode, then go into Start -> All Programs -> Startup and select the b1.exe program there. This will run the rest of the Toshiba Configuration, at which point you will then be able to set up a user account and move on.

It was still freezing on startup just as you described, so I went into Safe Mode and the ran "msconfig". And I selected  diagnostic startup, and rebooted into the normal windows..

Now I can work in normal mode. But what application is causing this problem?

I am so tired of this computer right now. This is going to be my last PC for a while. I will be getting a Mac this spring. But I still want to be able to use this for my Sims. Since the sound and USB are not working, I cant really do much more on it. 

What should applications should I remove, if I remove them all will I still be able to play my Sims games?

Thank you for all of this information by the way, very helpful! Now I just hope you will read this even though you posted this 10 months ago. 

Regular Advisor
bmurray

you can go back into msconfig and begin selecting things that the diagnostic mode disables one at a time till you find the one that is causing the problem.  I believe the diagnostic mode just deselects all non-MS services and disables all startup items. 

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
jenbunny

YOU are a LIFE saver, this was happening to my Toshiba Satellite L5050D-G6000 and it would configure then freeze when I tried to do a complete restore. I tried everything and wallla!! I went into safe mode, startup, selected b1.exe, it finished configuring and now I am going to try and see about the USB as it is doing the same thing. No sound, and I hope it doesn't need to be soldered as I don't know how to do that!