Orion101

From Windows 8 to Windows 7

Hi!

So, I have just bought a Satellite C850 and I despise Windows 8! I have the Windows 7 DVD, have downloaded all the drivers and now I wish to reformat my computer and install Windows 7 instead of 8... But, I'm not sure how to go on about doing this... I have inserted the CD, turned off the computer and turned it back on, pressing F8-12, holding F12, holding F2, pressing and holding 0... But I am not getting to the boot screen, the computer keeps starting as usual. How do I carry this out? Much appreciated!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: From Windows 8 to Windows 7

Try it this way.  At the Start screen, type HW and click on HwSetup.  Select Boot Tab and move the CD/DVD to first, click Apply and OK.  Restart and it should boot from the DVD.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

In order to boot using UEFI from the Windows 7 installation media, follow this procedure.

-Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to completely power off.
   -Power on and press F2 while the Toshiba logo is displayed to enter the UEFI Setup Menu.
   -Go to the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled".
   -Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."
   -Press F10 to save and exit.

In order to successfully install Windows 7, you need to remove the existing GPT partitions during Setup and create new ones.

Always tell us which Satellite C850 you have when you post here. See the label on the bottom.

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Only two minutes this time, CB. I'm getting faster.

-Jerry
Orion101

Thank you ever so much guys, I'm deeply grateful to both of you!

I have a Satellite C850 - 1D2

PART NO. PSCBWE - 03M00NEN

This may sound stupid, and please do forgive me, but I know absolutely nothing when it comes to computers... Imagine the worst imbecille you;ve ever met, multiply that with 5 and you get me when it is computer related. So, when you write things like UEFI, I'm not exactly sure what that means. But I will attempt the procedure you have recommended. 

Again, my deepest gratitude to both of you!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C850-1D2 (PSCBWE-03M00NEN)

Just want to mention that this site is for US computers.

The drivers (in case you don't know) for that UK model are not at this site, but are here.

There appear to be plenty for 64-bit Windows 7.

-Jerry
Orion101

Thanks, I've now begun the installation... However, as you mentioned, I can't install Windows 7 in the appropriate Disk (Partition 4) as it's GPT. I'm in Setup now and don't know how to "remove the GPT and create a new one". I have tried deleting it but the unallocated partition disk remains GPT. I've also tried to FORMAT it without success. What should I do?

Thank you for all your help and for being so patient with me, I'm sorry that I may ask stupid questions, I really don't know anything about cmptrs! If you could be so kind and tell me step by step how I should proceed, I'd be eternally grateful!

All the best!
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

In order to change from a GPT to an MBR disk, you need to delete all the partitions and recreate them. That should be possible during Windows 7 Setup.

I haven't done that myself, but I've read it's possible. If it doesn't seem to work, you can boot the Windows 7 DVD, press Shift + F10 to get a command prompt, and use the diskpart command with the clean option.

-Jerry
Orion101

I don't know how to thank you for all your help, Jerry!!! It seems to be working fine now! I'm so deeply grateful for everything! I deleted all the partitions and now it's expanding Windows files. 

Once this is done, I am going to install all the drivers. Anything else you recommend me doing? 

Again, my deepest thanks for all your help, everything you've said has worked perfectly fine for me thus far. You're a legend my friend!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I suggest you install the Intel chipset software and the Intel display driver first. Sometimes other drivers depend on them.

-Jerry
njm954

Hi Jerry.
I have a satellite c855d-s5106 laptop. I bought windows 7 OS to replace the windows 8 that came with it. I have completed a clean install with exception of a WLAN driver. I can not get my wireless to work. I have scoured Toshiba and Microsoft, plus a number of other sites, looking for the proper driver. Any suggestions?

Nic