z_n
Occasional Contributor
z_n

Failure to Create Recovery Media (Windows 8)

I've had a long host of issues with another Toshiba laptop product. Product in question, the Satellite C855-S5194.

After failing to get support from Toshiba with an initial wireless connection problem (the tech told me to delete the hard drive and ALL partitions even after I asked him repeatedly if it would re-install the OS and everything. Guess what happened?), I received assistance from the extended warranty company. They replaced the hard-drive and re-installed the system image. Upon its arrival, I tried to create recovery media, but couldn't get through the first DVD. Error codes, etc as follows:

Failed to read file E:\22Images\22Images\install4.swm

Not too long after that, the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator reported that it failed to create Disc 1. I then aborted the process (it still didn't shut down, though, so I just exited the window). 

I called extended warranty company, was told it sounded like a software problem, so they told me to call Microsoft with the promise that Microsoft would provide me with a download or ship me a disc with Windows 8 on it (I didn't think so, but I called them anyway). Microsoft guy said it sounded like there was a problem with the disks or the recovery media creator program. Since I've used these DVDs before with absolutely zero problems on other computers in creating recovery disks, I don't think it's the DVDs. A list of Toshiba forum topics addressing this problem seem to confirm that. 

I've tried unchecking 'verify' but to no avail. Honestly, though, I'm afraid to reset or refresh the PC as I've had issues with doing so in the past with a different Toshiba laptop. It went from 'slow' to 'unending automatic repair loop' to 6-pound paperweight within the course of a few days. Really don't want to deal with that again. 

Regular Advisor
billkunert

Re: Failure to Create Recovery Media (Windows 8)

Do you have a 16 gig USB thumb drive you could try in place of the dvds?

L875D-S7232 (Win 8.1)
z_n
Occasional Contributor
z_n

Re: Failure to Create Recovery Media (Windows 8)

I have a 16 gig USB but it's occupied by the recovery drive of the other failed Toshiba laptop. It's not a copy of the system image, etc. I could format the 16 gig but I don't know if the recovery drive would be useful for me in the future or not? It hasn't been helpful so far.