Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist
Accepted Solution

Factory Reset Will Not Start

Hello I have a Satellite A505-S6025 Laptop with windows professional 64 bit. I recently have managed to recover my important files to my external and want to factory reset the laptop. The problem is that whenever I attempt to factory reset the laptop I get a black screen with a movable cursor, instead of the warning screen stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten. I have already tried to log into windows in every mode possible and the computer always crashes in an endless loop. Help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Factory Reset Will Not Start

Satellite A505-S6025

I recently have managed to recover my important files to my external..

Tell us what method you used to do that. It may reveal a good deal about the state of your hard drive.

whenever I attempt to factory reset the laptop..

You are trying to use the image on the hard disk? Or you are booting from recovery discs?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist

I recovered my important files using puppy linux and I believe I am using the image on the hard disk. Whenever I turn on the laptop normally I get some text saying "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". I still get the black screen and move able cursor when trying to factory reset. Is it asking for the recovery media cd? If so I ordered it last night. Thanks. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So you booted from a USB port and accessed the drive. That sounds like it's still good.

Is it asking for the recovery media cd? If so I ordered it last night.

Good decision.

(Of course you could have burned those discs when Windows was running.)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist

I actually booted from a Burned Cd with puppy linux. Is the recovery CD all I need?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Is the recovery CD all I need?

Yes. You'll find there's more than one DVD and that the process takes quite a while.

See the section Restoring from recovery DVDs/media, which begins on p. 70 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A500 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist

Thank you so much. I'll tell you the results once I get the CD.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist

Hello Jerry,

I received the recovery CD today and attempted to to run it from the cd/dvd boot menu and I still continue to get a black screen with a moveable cursor. I called Toshiba support and they told me it could be a harddisk error. Ive also attempted to run the cd by holding down the "C" key while pressing the power button and I still continued to get a black screen with a moveabl cursor. I've usually wait  when the black screen appears and I've noticed that the hard disk led light stops flashing and doesn't light back up after about 5-10 minutes.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So you have a hardware failure. Too bad.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist

Hello Jerry,

Just wanted to let you know that I went to Best Buy and purchased a new Hard Disk Drive and my laptop was finally able to factory reset using the recovery disks I purchased. My laptop right now has been restarting several times configuring the system, but I believe that is natural to happen.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..purchased a new Hard Disk Drive and my laptop was finally able to factory reset using the recovery disks I purchased.

Good job!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist

Cant connect using ethernet

[ Edited ]

Hello I have a Toshiba Satellight A505-S6025. Recently I got a new hard disk drive and factory reset my computer using the recovery cds. When it finished I noticed that I couldnt connect to the internet and update my windows. So I went on my desktop and downloaded the drivers for the interl rapid storage and realtek wireless lan to a usb flashdrive and installed them to the laptop. The laptop was then able to install windows updates and to connect to the internet wirelessly. However I cannot connect via ethernet cable. I then downloaded the realtek lan driver on and the laptop was still unable to connect using the ethernet cable. Help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist

Hello Jerry,

I have a problem trying to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable. Ive downloaded the realtek wireless lan driver and intel rapid storage driver. I tried the realtek lan driver under downloads for this toshiba laptop but i doesn't seem to work.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What is the make and model of the drive?

We've sometimes had device-driver trouble after restoring to a drive with advanced-format technology.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
BattleArtist

it is a western digital scorpio blue wdbaabc5000anc-nrsn. I went to device manager and windows was actually able to find the driver online.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

western digital scorpio blue wdbaabc5000anc-nrsn

That does appear to have advanced format among its features: wdbabc5000anc-nrsn

If you have difficulties, try installing this disk driver and Microsoft hotfix.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Form...

See my message here.

After Restoring to New Hard Disk, No Windows Update - a Fix

I went to device manager and windows was actually able to find the driver online.

But it does sound like your problem is solved.

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Cant connect using ethernet

Why are you starting a new thread? Others won't have any history. My last message was here. I'll repeat it for continuity.

--------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------

western digital scorpio blue wdbaabc5000anc-nrsn

That does appear to have advanced format among its features: wdbabc5000anc-nrsn

If you have difficulties, try installing this disk driver and Microsoft hotfix.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Form...

See my message here.

After Restoring to New Hard Disk, No Windows Update - a Fix

-------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------

Did you apply the hotfix from Microsoft?

-Jerry
Peter

I merged the threads. Hopefully it's not too confusing since his first post in the second thread ended up a couple posts up from the bottom in this one.

- Peter
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Better than separated. Next time, I'll just mention that they should be combined and wait for you to stop by.

-Jerry