FixingAnL505
Accepted Solution

F33-FF00-0006 Error in Recovery

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm attempting to fix a laptop for a friend.  The hard disk in the laptop was gradually failing with quite a number of bad sectors, all seemingly on the OS partition, and it wouldn't boot.  The first partition (WinRE?) and the last (Toshiba recovery?) seemed to be intact.

So, I took an image of the first and last partitions on the disk, got a new hard disk, and restored those partitions to the new disk, making sure to line up the partitions with the same sectors as on the old disk. 

Now, when I boot into the Toshiba Recovery console, I receive the message:

F33-FF00-0006

Failed to get the ID of the specified partition.

I've Googled all around, and the general consensus seems to be "get Toshiba's recovery discs," however, I have the recovery partition and I can boot into it, so it seems like there must be something simple to do to make it boot.

I saw a thread somewhere on this forum that suggested creating the file C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe on the OS partition, which did not work for me.  I even was able to copy that file off the old hard disk and put it on the new disk, which still did not enable Toshiba Recovery to boot.

Any ideas?

Laptop Model: L505-S5965

Peter

Re: F33-FF00-0006 Error in Recovery

Have you tried creating the third partition, formatting it, but then not putting anything on it and trying the recovery again?

- Peter
FixingAnL505

Peter,

Thanks for your response!  No, I haven't tried that.  Here's the current setup of the partitions:

Partition 1: ~1.5GB, labelled TOSHIBA SYSTEM

Partition 2: ~230GB, OS partition, formatted NTFS, but empty

Partition 3: ~9GB, labelled HDDRECOVERY

So I'm clear, are you suggesting I format the HDDRECOVERY partition and not put anything back on it?  Won't that erase the Toshiba recovery "stuff"?

Or, did you mean that I should leave the 2nd partition (the OS partition) formatted but empty, and try the recovery?  In this case, that's my current situation - I formatted the partition NTFS, but it's empty, and the recovery gives me the error above.  I also tried not formatting it at all, but that did not work either.

husin

Same problem with me

but i'already fix it try to delete partition number one and two leave partition with label HDD RECOVERY hiden it if visible try it!!

i've already try with my win 7 starter pre installed

Peter

I meant the scenario in your last paragraph, which it seems is what you're already doing. I don't understand why it would load the recovery information but be unable to use it correctly. I'll see if I can find out any additional information for you.

- Peter
Peter

I was told you should clone the entire drive, including the Windows partition. Then run the recovery like normal (which will, of course, wipe that middle partition and recreate it). It seems a little odd to me, but that's what I was told.

- Peter
FixingAnL505

Thanks for the advice, Peter.  I did try to clone the entire drive; however, the original disk had many bad sectors on partition #2, the OS partition.  I allowed the clone to run for 3 hours, and after that time it had only progressed by 0.2%, throwing screenfuls of errors about the bad sectors.

So, I gave up on trying to clone the OS partition.  For some reason, I was able to clone partition #1 and #3 just fine - must not have been any bad sectors on those partitions.

However, thanks for the insight.

FixingAnL505

I ended up solving the problem with a rather unusual solution.

On a hunch, I installed Linux Mint 12 on the OS partition - partition #2.  When I did so, Linux Mint installed the GRUB bootloader, which automatically detected the Windows Recovery Environment.  So, when I rebooted, I could select "Windows Recovery Environment" from the GRUB menu.

This took me, obviously, to WinRE.  WinRE asked me which operating system I wanted to repair, and although there were none in the list, it allowed me to click "Next."  This took me to the screen where I could select the Toshiba Recovery environment, and the recovery succeeded.

Thanks Peter, for the suggestions.  Hopefully this solution is helpful for someone else.

Peter

I'm sorry I didn't solve it for you, but I'm glad you found a solution yourself. Thank you for returning to share it!

- Peter