Danielle1700

External Hard Drive cannot be accessed.

Dear Customer Service

My 500 GB External Hard Drive is not being recognized/opening after a recent Shut Down.
I have tried reinstalling and updating the driver, as well as looking at forums online that focus on recovering lost files.
PN:E05A050BAUXK

Your website does not recognise the serial number. My external drive was purchased in the US sometime in October, 2011. Therefore I have a 3 yrs limited warranty and I am unable to see the status of this.

My laptop prompts me to format the drive so I could eventually access the drive. I would like to recover my important files. What should I do?
I thought the purpose of purchasing this External Hard Drive from Toshiba was so that I would be able to safely store my important documents.
All assistance and support, as well as quick feedback would greatly be appreciated.
I currently reside in Trinidad, W.I.

Thank you.

Peter

Re: External Hard Drive cannot be accessed.

Did Windows crash when you were using the drive? While it's possible that the drive has died, it could have become corrupted.

Try right-clicking on the drive and select "Properties." Change to the "Tools" tab and click "Check now..." under "Error-checking."

- Peter
booamour

how can i format my external hard drive from mac to pc. my pc reconized the hard drive but i can not access it

booamour

the hard drive is format to used on mac

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you have a recent version of Windows, this should work.

Open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) and locate the drive in question.

Delete all the partitions, create the partitions you want, and then format them

This is for Windows XP, but it's similar in other versions. 

How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP

-Jerry