Edward684

Error F3-F100-0004

Hi, I've purchased a Toshiba Satellite L450-02T PSLY0C-02T012 notebook a while ago, while attempting to complete the installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit the installation failed giving me an error screen saying:
"<Error>
An error has occurred.

ERROR F3-F100-0004

An error has occured.
Please press [OK] to turn off the computer."

When I press OK it turns the computer off, but when the computer's turned back on it loads to that screen and gives me a never ending loop of the computer telling me to press OK. Are there any solutions you know off?

Additional:
-I do not have the Windows 7 disk to reinstall windows.

-I do not wish to spend money on manufacturer faults.

Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor
zzz123

Re: Error F3-F100-0004

It's hard to isolate recovery errors since those error messages are pretty cryptic.

Have you tested another Windows 7 or another OS disc? If you wish, you can try to install a Linux distribution temporarily (or permanently if you'd prefer) on your computer. For the most part, Linux distros are free :smileyvery-happy: There are various distributions out there but you can start here with Ubuntu as it is more user friendly than most other distros. If this works, most probably the disc that you have is bad.

How about testing your hard drive? Here's a long list of hard drive testing tools, although Toshiba manufactures hard drives, they don't have a dedicated hard drive testing program. I suggest starting with the Hitachi drive fitness test first.

Sometimes, faulty memory can cause your computer to not complete the recovery process. You can test your memory using Memtest86, try a 24-hour test just to make sure, I would call Toshiba for a memory replacement in case a single error appears.

Edward684

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your help, but I would much rather preffer having my windows 7 OS back, I'm also sure that the memory is fine, it ran correctly before I tried reinstalling Win7. :smileysad: If I can't find a way to restore my notebook back to manufacturer defaults with windows 7 I will check Ubuntu out. I have some questions about Ubuntu that I'd love to be answered before I'd install it as a new OS though... It says it comes with a web messenger program on it's site, can Windows Live Messenger be downloaded with it? Are there any major letdowns that may interfere with gaming, school work, or net use if I switch from windows 7 - Ubuntu? Thank you for your help.

Edward684

[ Edited ]

Unfotunately, installing Ubuntu didn't work. I've tried installing it on a bootable USB-Flash drive and RW-CD, neither worked.The computer I'm using now can't read or write DVDs. I'm open for any ideas. Addition: I've researched how error F3-F100-0004 has occured for some people;

-The computer being shut down during installation

-Adding extra partitions

-For some people it just happens and they didn't know what happened, there may have been something they did wrong but they don't know what

-Installation taking a long time and the error occurs (possibly bad hardware)

Again, I'm open for any ideas, I don't think the hardware's bad as my computer was running perfectly before. Thanks.

cmo999

The error indicates that there is physical damage on the hard drive.  There is no way to fix it, you need to simply replace your hard drive.  You probably will be able, however, to back up most of the data off of your old hard drive if you plug it into a computer that boots off of a different hard drive.

satuser64

Would it be possible to get instructions on how to do this? I have the same error message and really need to get documents off of this PC before gtting a new one. Any help is appreciated.

Auras

Don't know if this is a dead thread but I'm going to write this to help out the next person searching for the same thing...from what i can so far find out "F3-F100-0004" is an issue with the hard disk I am going to attempt to repair a satellite C655-S5514 with this issue. Here is my approach.

Items you will need... a functional computer to aid in repair of the broken system a high capacity usb drive or external HDD, a blank disc and time lots of time and maybe a new HDD to replace the one in the broken system if need be

Step one download Ubuntu ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Step two download an iso burner such as Active@ Iso http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html

Step three burn ISO to disk

Step four stat the broken computer and hit f12 on the boot screen open it's optical disc drive insert your newly made ubuntu disc close it and select the optical disc drive to boot from at this point it will load and prompt you asking if you wish to install or try ubuntu make sure to hit TRY then let it boot up

Step five plug in your usb drive or external HDD you will notice Ubuntu allows you to acess the HDD so click places open your hdd paw through it's files move what you need off the HDD and onto the USB drive and now your ready to try anything to fixit because you just backed up all your files on the USB drive

Step six reinstall windows if you dont have a disk aquire one (call toshiba and see if you can buy just the restore cd(s) since you already have a key on the bottom don't pay a pound of flesh to MS for an OS disk with a key just get a factory one it's much cheaper)

Step seven restore you files from the USB drive if the install was a sucess if not read on...

If this was a fail aquire a new HDD i usally ebay it but where ever you get one make sure to match the connections and rpm's (you dont wanna make it slower) and the rest is usally a matter of 1-4 screws a plastic panel slidin the old out the new in and closen it back up then just repeat steps 6-7 and your done