dweiss

Erasing my hard drive with recovery disk not working

So recently I was infected with Security Central malware and ran an anti-malware removal program, which worked for a week or so. Yesterday it came back and after attempting to run the anti-malware program again, it cannot find any, though Security Central is still affecting my computer.

What the malware is doing is not allowing me to open ANYTHING. Not a Word file, Internet, application or program. I cannot run a disk either. I decided, because my Toshiba laptop has a number of other problems with slow performance, to backup everything to an external hard drive and erase my hard drive and run the recovery disc.

I ran it in Safe Mode to move all my stuff onto the external hard drive and then inserted the recovery disc. Because of the Securty Central malware, it will not run in normal mode and my laptop says it cannot open the disc in Safe Mode.

All I want to do is erase my hard drive and start over but I cannot seem to do it. I'm not crazy tech-savvy and I know there must be a way to do this but I've tried everything I know how to do. Help??? Thanks!

BTW: my computer is a Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094

Occasional Advisor
doofus

Re: Erasing my hard drive with recovery disk not working

Corrected instructions for Recovery and Applications/Drivers Media Document ID: 98082279

CAUTION: The Recovery process reformats the computer's hard disk drive, which completely erases its contents -- including all applications, all documents, and all other data stored on the drive. Be sure to back up your documents and other data before following the instructions below.

Follow these steps to erase the current contents of the hard disk drive and to re-install all of the software that was installed on the computer when it was manufactured:

1. With the computer on, insert the first Recovery disc into the optical drive.

2. Shut down the computer (click the Start button, click Shut Down, select Shut Down, click OK).

3. Press the computer's power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press and hold the F12 key. Release the F12 key when the menu of boot options appears.

4. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the CD/DVD option. Press the Enter key to select it.

The computer will restart, and will boot from the Recovery disc.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen to start the Recovery process.

CAUTION: Once the Recovery process has begun, do not interrupt it.

The computer's hard drive will be formatted, erasing its contents. All of the software that was installed on the computer when it was manufactured will then be re-installed.

6. Once the Recovery process is complete, remove the Recovery disc, and press any key to restart the computer.

Occasional Contributor
vargoanesthesid

I've tried this and I do not get a prompt that requests me to insert the next disc!  Now, when I try to re-do the recovery process, the computer tells me that there is NO OPERATING SYSTEM, and won't do anything.  If I re-boot and play around, I can get to a MS-DOS mode and the computer asks for a command, but I don't know what to type in.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Download the DBAN cd iso image and create the self booting cd as per instructions.  Now boot to it to completely wipe everything off of the hard drive.  Once that is finished run the Recovery Process using the Recovery DIsks to re-install the OS.  This should get you back on track.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
vargoanesthesid

IK.  Downloaded the DBAN. Copied to a CD (5.5mb).  Inserted and tried to boot up from the CD drive and the computer still gets to the "missing operating system..." and then I can't do anything. Re-tried the rescue disc #1 and it gets to a point of stating that the computer is formatting the internal drive, but then stops anywhere between 1 and 4 percent complete.  Then, nothing for hours.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

You can't COPY the file to a CD, you have to use the Burn From Image to actually create a bootable cd.  See http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm for details on how to do this properly.

The stopping after only a few percent during the format process sounds like the hard drive might be failing or bad ram.  

To check the ram you need to download the Memtest CD Iso, create the CD using the Burn From Image option, then boot to it and allow it to run through a minimum of 3 complete passes.  If it shows ANY errors whatsoever then you have defective ram. 

To test the hard drive determine what brand of hard drive you have.  You can check the Bios/Setup to find out or run SIW or Belarc Advisor.  Go to that manufacturer's support site and download their Self Booting Diagnostic CD ISO image, create the CD using the Burn From Image option (see http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm for more information on doing this), then boot to it and run the most exhaustive tests available.  If you have a Toshiba drive you will need to use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test as Toshiba doesn't supply their own.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
vargoanesthesid

I'm certain that it's just my lack of computer skills, but I think I did that.  Would it have anything to do with the fact that I'm trying to burn with an i-MAC?  It clearly prompts me to "burn to disc", which I do.  The burn is not very large, only 5.5mb.  I'm uncertain about what it means to "burn image". by the way, thanks for trying to help.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I'm not a Mac person so I can't really tell you for sure if that would have anything to do with it or not, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it did (I don't use Macs since they can't run WordPerfect).

And it isn't "Burn To Disk" but "Burn From Image" that needs to be done.  See http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm for complkete instructions on doing this.

Occasional Contributor
vargoanesthesid

Thanks.  I'm going to get on my daughters PC tonight and give the re-burn a try and then see where I can get.  I'll be keeping this posted.  Thanks again!!!

Occasional Contributor
vargoanesthesid

I have run DBAN.  It said it was successful.  No change in the failed recovery -stops @ 3% completed without further indications of anything.  I'm trying to run Memtest86+ 4.0.  I load it, and it boots but does nothing as far as I can see.  Just sits there with the blue screen and some information about the processor, caches, etc.