jro_06

ERROR: 10-FA11-045D

Im attempting a recovery due to a black screen stating I had a corrupt or missing file, when I ran into this error. (ERROR: 10-FA11-045D).Im using the recovery disks I made with Toshiba create recovery disk app. My laptop is still under the one year warranty, its only 8 months old.  I was wondering if this issue would be covered under the warranty. I have looked all over the internet trying to figure out what the cause of this error is and how to fix it. All I've seen so far is to download questionable files off torrents to fix it. I really need to fix this issue soon due to college class starting up soon. Can anyone help.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: ERROR: 10-FA11-045D

Yes it will be covered under warranty as long as you didn't physically damage the laptop.  It could take a couple of months before you get it back though.

Clean the discs, make sure there is no dirt or scratches, even things you cna't see can affect this.

Memory - Try reseating the memory.  Or try only one memory stick at a time. If you upgraded the memory, put the old memory back in.

Determine what brand of hard drive you have.  Post that information to this thread along with the complete model number of your laptop.  You should be able to figure that out by going into the bios to see what it says about the hard drive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

jro_06

The hard disk drive is WDC WD2500DEVS-26VATO (S1). The laptop is Satellite L305d-S5934 model no. PSLC8U-03701Q. I will try working with the memory. I have pulled it and tried runing the laptop on each seprately. i have 3072 of memory. Does it matter which way the memory is placed back into the laptop. IE does the 2gig go in the bottom or top, or does it matter.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I shouldn't matter which is on top and which is on the bottom. 

You can go to the Western Digital Support Site and download their Self Booting Hard Drive Diagnostic CD ISO image, burn it to CD using the Burn from image option, then boot to it and run the most exhaustive test to see if it detects any problems with the hard drive.  You can also try zeroing it out using that software. 

And it isn't necessary to send a PM to tell me that you made a new post to this thread.  I get an e-mail telling me of any new posts to any of the threads I have posted in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

jro_06

[ Edited ]

SMART ATTRIBUTES:

ID NAME                                                          VALUE            THRESH           WORST

1 RAW READ ERROR RATE                                  199                  51                   199

3 SPIN UP TIME                                                  194                  21                   185

4 START/STOP COUNT                                       100                  0                     100

5 RE-ALLOCATED SECTOR COUNT                       121                 140                   121   *

7 SEEK ERROR RATE                                           200                  0                     199

9 POWER-ON HOURS COUNT                               99                    0                      99

10 SPIN RETRY COUNT                                       100                   51                   100

11 DRIVE CALIBRATION RETRY COUNT                100                   0                     100

12 DRIVE POWER CYCLE COUNT                         100                   0                     100

192 EMERGENCY RETRACT COUNT                     200                   0                      200

193 LOAD/UNLOAD COUNT                                194                   0                      194

194 HDA TEMPERATURE                                     110                  0                        96

196 RELOCATION EVENT COUNT                            1                   0                          1

197 CURRENT PENDING SECTOR COUNT                196                 0                      185

198 OFFLINE UNCORRECTABLE SECTOR COUNT     100                  0                      253

199 ULTRADMA CRC ERROR RATE                         200                 0                      200

200 MULTI ZONE EROOR RATE                              100                51                     253

WARNING! ONE OR MORE CURRNET OR WORST-CASE ATTRIBUTES ARE BELOW THRESHOLD.

HIT ANY KEY TO COUNTINUE.        WHEN I DO THIS  IS SAYS  

THE SYSTEM MUST BE RESET- HIT CTRL ALT DEL OR TURN OF THE POWER

AFTER I HIT CTRL ALT DEL THE COMPUTER REBOOTS AND SAYS ( BOOTMGR IS MISSING ) PRESS CNTRL ALT DEL

THUS RESTARTING THE CYCLE.     WHAT NOW?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

What happens when you run the EXTENDED Test on the drive?  That's the one that tells us the most. 

jro_06

[ Edited ]

Just noticed something. to run the extended test the quick test is set to run first, then the extended test. that is where im getting the above message. Also the ID 5 Re-allocated sector count has a star next to it. do you know of a way to bypass the quick test and just run the extended test or am i S-O-L

jro_06

Just wanted to say thanks for the help cee_64 . I called Toshiba today and found out the laptop is going to be covered by the one year warranty. They told me that the 10-FA11-045D error is due to hardware incompatibility. Seems kind of odd, but I'm going to go with it. Again thanks for the info. Now the waiting game starts.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Good luck.  Hope it works out for you.