itsthebman

Does using recovery discs delete the recovery partition as well?

I am wanting to do a system recovery on My toshiba Satellite L645D-S4056. I made recovery CD's upon 1st boot and still have them. My question is, if I choose to use these CD's versus the HDD recovery partition, will it delete my recovery partition as well?

I am recovering from several trojans that got on the computer. I want to make sure that they are gone and hope the recovery discs take care of that. I planned on recovering to out-of-box state.

Does this provide adequate protection from viruses reappearing? will it delete them? (from the original problem, now I have NIS 2011). I would like to keep recovery partition if its not infected.

Also, how likely is it that they can migrate into the recovery partition? The virus name was Win32.Kryptik.YK.

Thank you in advance!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Does using recovery discs delete the recovery partition as well?

Satellite L645D-S4056 

if I choose to use these CD's versus the HDD recovery partition, will it delete my recovery partition as well?

It does not matter whether you restore from the recovery partition or from the recovery discs. They both produce the same thing.

That is, when you restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using either method, the entire disk is restored - including all the original partitions.

Does this provide adequate protection from viruses reappearing? will it delete them?

Since everything on the hard drive is replaced, any infected files - no matter where they are - will be replaced.

That includes even the master boot record (where viruses sometimes hide).

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Re: Does using recovery discs delete the recovery partition as well?

[ Edited ]

Jerry, hello.

>>> That includes even the master boot record (where viruses sometimes hide).

Why do we not start an education campaign to have the laptop users lock their boot sector in BIOS ?  Also password protect the HD.  Yes, I am dreaming fully awake.

I wish you as nice a day as I am having.  Jean.

NB: In your previous message, you stated that even the restore partition is redone when using it. Does it get stored in RAM to so do ?  My understanding is that it is only the C:\ that is affected.   It might be different when using the DVD medium ???   Light my candle. ( Long live clone ! ) J.