ruby_soho
Accepted Solution

Do I need to use Toshiba Recovery Wizard?

Hi everyone!

I've been having major problems with my Toshiba since I first got it last March. I have a Toshiba Satellite L750, Windows 7, 64-bit, with 6GB of RAM.

Last December (right before finals were due -_-) my laptop just committed suicide. The hard drive totally died on me out of the blue. I got a computer-savvy friend to replace my hard drive with a new one. Everything was working fine at first, but within a week my laptop ate that hard drive up too. It was BIZARRE. I went back home for the holidays and since my laptop was still under warranty then (it's not now), Toshiba replaced my hard drive, reinstalled Windows, etc. This was in January - things were fine, but it's now May and everything is messed up again.

Basically everything takes forever to load or it doesn't load at all - desktop, taskbar, programs, internet, user accounts... sometimes Windows won't even load. Booting in Safe Mode, things work, but they still take a little longer than usual, even just logging into my user account.

I've ran CCleaner numerous times. I've tried starting up with certain programs disabled. I've ran virus scans, and this is another problem -every single time I try to run Malware Bytes, in Safe Mode and regularly, the scan ALWAYS freezes. After that, nothing else works and I have to restart the laptop. Startup Repair doesn't do anything. Neither does sfc/scannow. Also, I tried doing a System Restore, only to find that I have no restore points. It doesn't seem to be a virus - Avast is always running and hasn't found anything.

I ran a system analyzer on my laptop and this is some of the information I got:
513.0 GB of available space on system partition
Total size of hard drives is 595.6 GB
Total memory of PC is 6092 MB
-all of this is apparently "above average"

HDD speed = 58MB/second
CPU has 2 cores running at 2.29GHz
CPU temperature = 60C (140F)

I uninstalled programs I don't use and have tried physically cleaning my computer, but to no avail. Usually I can get past the startup/Windows logo screen fine, but once I get to a user account/desktop, that's when all the problems start.

Any suggestions?

Someone said to use the Toshiba Recovery Wizard/HDD Recovery, since I'm not too fussed about losing files. Do you think this will help? Would it completely wipe out Windows 7, though?
I can access the "Repair your computer" function that leads me to Toshiba Recovery Wizard... does that mean that it'll restore everything to factory settings (out-of-box) and reinstall Windows 7 automatically? I'm assuming this because I don't remember receiving any recovery disks, so I'm thinking this might be the hidden recovery partition. I don't have the Windows installation CD, so I just want to make sure I won't end up without an OS before I go ahead and try it.

I'm trying to exhaust all options because I'm a brokeass student and would prefer to not have to buy a new laptop... but if nothing can be done, then I guess I'll have to.

Thanks for reading! :smileyhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Do I need to use Toshiba Recovery Wizard?

Which Satellite L750? See the label on the bottom.

-Jerry
ruby_soho

It's a Satellite L750, Part No. PSK1WC-12N01S.

Does that help? That's pretty much all it says on the tag, along with the serial number. I bought it in Canada.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

PSK1WC-12N01S

I couldn't find that one, Ruby. But I did find this one.

Satellite L750-12M (PSK1WC-12M01S)

All the stuff for that model is here.

Someone said to use the Toshiba Recovery Wizard/HDD Recovery, since I'm not too fussed about losing files. Do you think this will help?

That's your best bet. See the section System Recovery Options, which begins on p. 1-12 of the User's Manual. I've attached it for your convenience.

Best to create the recovery discs in case something goes wrong. But it's faster to restore directly from the recovery partition.

-Jerry
ruby_soho

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jerry!

So do you think this will work? The fact that my laptop has eaten up 3 HDDs now kinda makes it seem like it's a hardware issue... a problem with the motherboard. I gave this laptop to Toshiba in January when I was still under warranty, and I specifically told them that this laptop goes Hannibal for hard drives -which is not normal - and that they should check if there's a hardware issue (it had eaten 2 HDDs at that point). Clearly they didn't do that, though - they just slapped in a new hard drive. If they had listened to me, then my HDD wouldn't be dying every 3, 4 months. I've accepted that I need to buy a new laptop, but I just need something to work in the meantime while I look for one (and scrounge up some cash). 

Also, do you think the fact that nothing ever loads on my laptop will have an effect on the Recovery Wizard? I read that if even one thing goes wrong during the recovery process, everything will be completely lost and you can't even try the process again. Obviously I don't want that to happen!

And one more question: it's not 100% clear in the manual and that is what I originally came here to post about - will the "out-of-box" recovery process delete my OS? I have a Windows 7 sticker on my laptop, so I'm pretty sure it was pre-installed... I definitely don't have any disks with me. So even if it does work, will it reinstall Windows 7/MS Office/etc. automatically for me? 

Thanks again for your help! :smileyhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So do you think this will work?  ...  do you think the fact that nothing ever loads on my laptop will have an effect on the Recovery Wizard? I read that if even one thing goes wrong during the recovery process, everything will be completely lost and you can't even try the process again.

I haven't the faintest idea whether it will work. But successfully restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media fixes all the software.

I don't even know after all those hard drives whether you even have a recovery partition.

I makes no difference what is on the hard drive. You can restore (from the recovery discs, of course) to a brand new empty drive.

Once you have created the discs, you can restore from them as many times as you like.

will the "out-of-box" recovery process delete my OS?

It will completely replace everything on the hard drive with what was originally there. That includes Windows and also the recovery partition itself.

Everything I've said is in the User's Manual that I attached to my previous message. Please read it.

-Jerry
Regular Advisor
billkunert

For some reason a lot of people have reported trouble restoring from DVD's.  I created my recovery on a 16gig USB thumb drive.  There is no disk switching and therefore a little less to go wrong.  I used my USB recovery drive several times and it worked flawlessly every time.  It's something to consider.

L875D-S7232 (Win 8.1)
ruby_soho

Thanks for the help billkunert & Jerry! I guess there's no other solution for this, so I'll just go for the Recovery Wiz. I appreciate the advice :smileyhappy:

Russ_Mullin

Hello billkunert:

I have the Satellite L875D-S7332...recently every time I boot up/turn on my laptop I get 

a white screen with small,thin red lines running through it.....sometimes it will eventually 

go tothe Toshiba Start up page other times not. When it doesnt I have to leave it sit for 

a hour or longer. 

Also sometimes it just slowy goes white and my only option is it power it off. 

Can you point me in a direction or site that will help me correct this?

Thanks

Russ_Mullin

P.S> I like the thumb drive idea.