dknite69

Computer won't boot after last BIOS update from Toshiba.

[ Edited ]

It was working fine before the update.  Shut down and can't boot; blank screen with blinking cursor.  I have followed the suggestions of getting into the computer but the HDD cannot be found.  Finally got into BIOS but when I run repair I get error: 08-0E89-0000---Partition Creation Failed.  Any help would be greatly appreciately. I have a Satellite A665-S6086 running Win 7 Home 64-bit.

dknite69

Re: Computer won't boot after last BIOS update from Toshiba.

Wow, not a word.  I wish I had come here before I bought this...nevermind.  I guess I wanted some direction before going at it blind since the steps offered to the other members did not work for me.  But you did help in one regard....where to purchase the replacement parts.  Thanks.

Peter

You didn't get a reply, but it had only been two days. This is a community forum, and the community isn't obligated to help you. I will post to point you in the right direction, but only after the community is given a few days to respond. If you need immediate help and don't want to wait for the community, you need to contact customer support. Customer support does not monitor the forum.

It sounds like the time to start a recovery if that wasn't what you already attempted. I would begin by booting the computer while holding '0' (zero) to load the recovery utility. If that doesn't work, there could be a few possible reasons. It might be due a problem with the recovery information on the HDD. If that's the case, using external recovery media that you should have created when the got the computer (or that you can order from Toshiba) should help. It could also be that the HDD itself is failing. If that's the case, you'll need to contact customer support to seek servicing or replace it yourself.

- Peter
dknite69

[ Edited ]

Thanks Peter for your reply but that is a non-issue now as I purchased a new HD WD750 Black to replace the one I was having problems with and the recovery worked fine, so I thought.  When the computer goes to sleep or hibernate, I don't know which the HD fails on waking.  I was going to try recovery again but instead I reseated the HD and it booted.  This has happened a couple times since the initial 'fail' but seems to Restart fine.  but I have only done it once.  Of course all of these problems started after BIOS 2.30 update last week.

BTW I had tried all the steps provided to other members having the same problem (Puppy, recovery disk, pressing 0 and removing battery while holding something down) but was getting nowhere and it seemed to me that all HDs can't all fail at once.  So that's why I added the part about the BIOS update that no one seemed to acknowledged.  computer working, install update and restart and the HD failed; yes to me it was questionable.  Additionally, judging by some of the repair technics it is assumed that we members are more advanced or that buy our recovery disk will fix the problem but it does not fix every problem especially if the HD is not recognized. But what do I know.

Peter

I do appreciate the information and the feedback. I don't know if the BIOS had anything to do with it, but I agree with you that that's important information given the timing. You might want to contact customer support at (800) 457-7777 to see if they have additional information.

- Peter
Nesser

Remove Battery Hold Power Button for 10 seconds to power off. Release and unplug power cord. Hold power button to discharge any left over energy in laptop To power back on, Hold F2 and Power button at same time This will bring up the menu for bios and settings Reset bios save and exit Windows should start back up