mfskarphedin
Accepted Solution

Common question: recovery discs?

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the common questions, but I'm not familiar with this "recovery disk" thing.  I searched and read some of the posts on the forums, but I didn't get all the info I need in specific.

I'm trying to fix my friend's Toshiba Satellite.  I'm not sure of the exact model number at the moment, since it's at her apartment.  I have to sneak in when she's not home, because I'm fixing it for christmas...

Anyway, her ex dropped the laptop while it was running.  The drive is obviously trashed and needs to be replaced (I tried formatting it with my copy of XP, but it always hangs and crashes at 52%.)  I can't remember if she has the recovery disk.  I think I saw one, but I have to ask her.  I'm not familiar so much with this type of thing, since I build my own computers and buy retail copies of the OSs.

Questions:

If she has the recovery disk, will that be enough to re-install XP on the new drive?  Or was she supposed to do something to create some sort of set of re-installation disks?  She did not do that, I know.

If she doesn't have the recovery disk(s), how much does it cost to get it from Toshiba?  I read in the top sticky that, "As of 5/8/09, the shipping and handling charges for delivery of replacement system recovery media in the US is $24.95 for regular delivery."  Is there any added cost above s/h?

Also, can I just buy a retail copy of XP and install it if I want?  I'll want to go with the cheapest option.

Thanks for your patience and responses,

Kristen

Regular Advisor
Rincewind

Re: Common question: recovery discs?

mfskarphedin wrote:

Sorry for the common questions, but I'm not familiar with this "recovery disk" thing.  I searched and read some of the posts on the forums, but I didn't get all the info I need in specific.

I'm trying to fix my friend's Toshiba Satellite.  I'm not sure of the exact model number at the moment, since it's at her apartment.  I have to sneak in when she's not home, because I'm fixing it for christmas...

Anyway, her ex dropped the laptop while it was running.  The drive is obviously trashed and needs to be replaced (I tried formatting it with my copy of XP, but it always hangs and crashes at 52%.)  I can't remember if she has the recovery disk.  I think I saw one, but I have to ask her.  I'm not familiar so much with this type of thing, since I build my own computers and buy retail copies of the OSs.

Questions:

If she has the recovery disk, will that be enough to re-install XP on the new drive?  Or was she supposed to do something to create some sort of set of re-installation disks?  She did not do that, I know.

If she doesn't have the recovery disk(s), how much does it cost to get it from Toshiba?  I read in the top sticky that, "As of 5/8/09, the shipping and handling charges for delivery of replacement system recovery media in the US is $24.95 for regular delivery."  Is there any added cost above s/h?

Also, can I just buy a retail copy of XP and install it if I want?  I'll want to go with the cheapest option.

Thanks for your patience and responses,

Kristen

If she has the recovery disk, then that should be all you need.  The recovery disk has an image of the hard drive at the time of manufacture and a loading program.  Running it formats the hard drive and writes the image to it.
If the recovery disk is still available from Toshiba, the total cost is, as you read, $24.95.
Yes, you can buy a commercial copy of Windows XP and load that.  Note that the product key on the bottom of the laptop is not valid for commercial copies, only the OEM version that shipped with the laptop or was restored with the recovery disk.  You will have to download and install all of the Toshiba drivers and utilities for the model.  You will also have to purchase DVD playback software if you want to play DVDs, or use something like VLC, since the DVD player is only on the recovery disk image.
Hope this helps.
mfskarphedin

Yes, thank you! She said she has the disk.  COA number is on the bottom of the computer.  Now I only have to pay for the new hard drive, so I can get a whopper!  Lots of iTunes and videos, hehe...  :smileyvery-happy:

xprt1794

Hi, hoping someone can answer my question. I just bought a satellite Toshiba laptop, it recommends making a recovery disk. But, I can't find what type of DVD's to buy. Can you advise the best one to buy and type?

Thank you so much.

Regular Contributor
zzz123

DVD-Rs should do the trick. DVD-Rs are "write-once" which means that they can only burned once. DVD+Rs can be written on (lets say half the capacity) once, then written on again in the future. I believe that this is something about creating a bootable disc, but I haven't researched on the topic much myself. I can't really recommend a brand though.

Munke2112

Re: Common question: recovery media

My Toshiba Laptop got broken, media-wise that is. The PC seems to boot and run well enough but I've taken it through an upgrade to Win7, and attempted update (gone wrong) to Win7 professional, and now it boots, but will not see the outside world wide web, but only see's local.

The technician I hired to upgrade my PC didn't actually upgrade it but somehow did a duel boot, installation of Win7 Professional. I figured the thread of Common questions were a good place to ask this one: From the Toshiba Recovery Media page an admin states:

"All new Toshiba laptops ship from the factory with the ability to run the system recovery process from a hard disk partition, and with preinstalled software that can be used to record recovery media to blank discs.  Toshiba recommends creating recovery media to ensure the ability to run a system recovery even if the hard disk recovery partition is damaged or deleted, or if the hard disk breaks." 

Where are the directions to walk an end user through running the system restore/recovery process?  

Other notes, yes, I remember creating recovery disks, but they are back at my x-spouses house and "lost"... so rather than creating a long, bothersome, quarel-filled, attempt at going through her home to find them. I figure if it's possible to "run the system recovery process" that may be the less hassle optionto getting my PC back up and running. So to anyone: Where are the directions to walk an end user through running the system restore/recovery process?   

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Common question: recovery media

Munke2112 wrote:

Where are the directions..?

Which computer?

-Jerry
FlyingW

Recovery discs for Satellite A665

I have a Trojan virus on a Toshiba Satellite A665-S5170.  The only sure solution to cleaning it out is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS and software.  If I purchase a recovery disc from Toshiba for my PC, will it reformat the disc & reinstall Windows 7?  Then I can install the rest of my software from the discs I have.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Recovery discs for Satellite A665

FlyingW wrote:..

The answer is Yes.

Next time you post here with a question, please start a new discussion. Don't hook on to a thread several years old.

-Jerry
FlyingW

Sorry.  I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to do that.  Just gave up and added to an existing thread.

Thanks for your help!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Next time click on the big blue New Message button.

-Jerry