Occasional Contributor
RebeccaOwen

Can't boot past BIOS. Want to reformat drive to factory settings. Please help

[ Edited ]

I need help.

My Toshiba Satellite A665 can't boot past BIOS. In other words... I can't boot regularly, can't get into safe mode, can't get into Windows. After the Toshiba logo at the start, it just leads to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left.

I tried the hardware recovery thing, which is: press and hold 0, then press the power button, etc. That brought me to the Windows Boot Manager and I got the following message:
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and click “Next”
3. Click repair your computer”
If you do not have this disc, contact your system admin or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."
-------
I reseated the RAM multiple times. Tried different RAM. I took out the battery. I took out the optical drive. I reseated the hard drive. I tried all of these things in different configurations and sequences and nothing gets me past BIOS.

I don't have a physical Recovery Disk. Despite watching various Youtube vids, I can't seem to create the "Windows Recovery Environment" on a bootable usb thumb drive.

My objective is to reformat the laptop to the original factory settings, but I can't get past the BIOS.

Besides taking a hammer to the laptop, what are my options?

Here's my laptop specs (if needed):
Toshiba Satellite A665
64bit Windows7 Home Premium
4GB RAM

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Can't boot past BIOS. Want to reformat drive to factory settings. Please help

[ Edited ]

...I tried the hardware recovery thing, which is: press and hold 0, then press the power button, etc. That brought me to the Windows Boot Manager...

Try the Toshiba Recovery again, press and down the '0' (zero) key, power on, keep holding the 0 key down until you hopefully see the the Toshiba Recovery utility menu, return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box setup.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
RebeccaOwen

Re: Can't boot past BIOS. Want to reformat drive to factory settings. Please help

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply Mike. I did that a number of times and it didn't appear to work.

HOWEVER, magically I was able to get do a factory recovery (it's in the process as I type). I found a manual online from Toshiba that discusses using F12. It said to press F12 and at the same time, press the power button. I did that, but it went into the loop cycle of just showing BIOS over and over :smileysad:

I then started changing BIOS settings. I changed two settings (to be honest I don't remember which ones, BUT I will figure out those two settings and post them later when this is done with the factory installation. Upon making those changes, I rebotted and it suddenly generated a Warning screen asking if I was sure I wanted to to do a "factory restore". I quickly said YES, because I had been working on this problem for the last 8 hours. OMG! I can't believe it. Anyway, it presented a screen saying it would take 4 hours and 55 minutes. Mmmmm, ok.

So I left for the day. This morning I peaked at the laptop and it finished with the install, but required more configurations, so it's been chugging away at those changes for the last hour. Wow. Amazingly slow. But I'm stoked because it appears I have a new laptop again and didn't have to break out the hammer!

To summarize, I'm not sure if it was the F12 that kicked off the recovery process OR if it was the two settings in BIOS that started it. Perhaps it was a combo of the using F12 and the BIOS changes. I'll probably never know. Don't lock this thread until I can figure out those BIOS settings. Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Super Advisor
miker643

Well, I'm glad you seem to have the recovery happening, let us know how it turns out. But, I've no idea what article you're talking about. Doing a search on the Toshiba Knowledge Base for 'F12 power'  all I found was this. Was this the article you found?

How to rescue files from a computer that can't boot into Windows

But, another way to try run the Toshiba Recovery when holding the 0 key doesn't work is this:

Pressing the Zero Key While Powering on the Computer Does Not Start the Toshiba Recovery Wizard

Regardless, please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
RebeccaOwen

Well the factory restore was a temporary success, HOWEVER, the laptop was terribly sluggish. Bootup time is ~10 minutes. Response time to launching applications is completely unacceptable. Response time for making selections, changes, clicking buttons, etc and is very slow. Something is obviously wrong. So I went to run a chkdsk to check for hard drive problems. I rebooted the laptop and now it's dead again. My original problem of not getting past BIOS "Boot Menu" is back. You've got to be kidding me. What the hell is wrong with this laptop? I'm back at square 1 again.

F8 is unresponsive. It just goes through the Toshiba splash screen and eventually to the "Boot Menu" which presents "HHD/SSD Toshiba MK6465GSX", then "FDD", and finally "LAN". Below it gives me the option to enter the BIOS.

Pressing and holding Zero does the same thing and takes me to the Boot Menu.

As a side note, in terms of F12, here's the manual I stumbled across. Toshiba pdf Manual

I think Page 64 is where I began reading. 

Is it 'hammer time' now? :smileysad:

Super Advisor
miker643

Well the factory restore was a temporary success, HOWEVER, the laptop was terribly sluggish. Bootup time is ~10 minutes. Response time to launching applications is completely unacceptable. Response time for making selections, changes, clicking buttons, etc and is very slow....

These are signs of a failing hard drive. Time to replace the hard drive, try to get one that does NOT use the Advanced Format Technology. Or get a new unit.

Sorry.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
RebeccaOwen

[ Edited ]

Check this out.

I removed the hard drive from the bad Toshiba laptop and put it into my new HP laptop. It immediately began to boot and went into chkdsk mode. At stage 4 of 5, it replaced a bad cluster. When it finally reached 100%, it flashed a screen saying a bunch of stuff and couldn't write it all down since it went so fast. But I did see something about it added 164 bad clusters. Not sure what that means, but assume the hard drive got fixed a bit.

Anyway, it booted up fine on my new HP laptop and began installing a ton of device drivers. Realizing that I don't want to taint my good HP laptop with a bunch of irrelevant drivers, I shut down the machine.

To me this says the hard drive is fine, no?

I replaced the hard drive back in the Toshiba machine and was able to boot into Safe Mode by hitting F8. I clicked "Repair your computer" but it didn't find anything wrong. Hmmm...

I then ran a hardware memory test and it appears to have passed successfully. It's now rebooting into Windows, but it's taking a long time to boot again. It did generate a screen I've never seen which said:

"Windows is not genuine. Your computer might be running a counterfiet copy". (Perhaps this has something to do with installing into my HP laptop... I don't know).

I'm beginning to think there is a conflict between devices or something, since it's so **bleep** slow. I'd hate to buy a new hard drive only to find that the hard drive is not the problem. You can't return a hard drive once it's installed.

Any suggestions on what to do from here?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...But I did see something about it added 164 bad clusters...

That's a fair number of bad clusters, your hard drive could still be failing.

Anyway, it booted up fine on my HP and began installing a ton of device drivers. Realizing that I don't won't to taint my good HP laptop with a bunch of irrelevant drivers, I shut down the machine.

You weren't tainting your HP with a bunch of irrelevant drivers, you were tainting your Toshiba's HDD's Windows installation with a bunch of HP drivers.

To me this says the hard drive is fine, no?

Maybe, maybe not, see my comment on the bad clusters

It's now rebooting into Windows, but it's taking a long time to boot again. It did generate a screen I've never seen which said:

"Windows is not genuine. Your computer might be running a counterfiet copy". (Perhaps this has something to do with installing into my HP laptop... I don't know)...

Probably.

Any suggestions on what to do from here?

If it won't start and run normally now, go back into Safe Mode, and copy off all your user files, music, pictures etc. Or get one of these and save the files to from your Toshiba HDD to your HP. You want to do this regardless, just in case your HDD is failing.

Try to run the Toshiba Recovery again from the recovery partition on your HDD. Power off the unit, press and hold down the '0' (zero) key, power on, keep holding the 0 key down until you see the Toshiba Recovery menu, return your system to its factory default out-of-the-box setup.

If this still won't work, try the set of Toshiba Recovery disks/media you should have made when you first got your system as directed on page 70 of your User's Guide. Follow the installation instructions on page 73. If you never made the disks/media, and cannot now make them in Windows, you can order them. Cheaper than a new hard drive initially, and you'll need them if you have to get a new hard drive.

Ordering Recovery Media

Mike

Occasional Contributor
RebeccaOwen

[ Edited ]

Up to this point, pressing "0" has not worked. (ironically there are two "zero's" on the keyboard and have tried both). After multiple attempts, I got into "Advanced Boot Options" by hitting F8. I'm doing a factory restore again (2nd time) as we speak. It's really slow though. It's been 8 hours so far and only on step 18 of 76. Once it's done, I'm going to try running Chkdsk again.

Someone on a different forum suggested that perhaps the hard drive controllers are bad.

Any idea on how to test for this?

They also said that the cpu fan may have failed since it's sluggish, so it's moving slowly to prevent overheating.

However, I hear a fan every time the mahine is powered on.

Are there multiple fans? or a dedicated fan for the cpu? If there is, how do I test that?

Can the Toshiba Recovery disks/media be downloading for free? If so, I'd like put them onto my USB thumb drive. Also, how are the Toshiba Recovery disks different than doing a "Factory Restore" in the Advanced Boot Options?

Sorry for all of the questions...

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...After multiple attempts, I got into "Advanced Boot Options" by hitting F8. I'm doing a factory restore again (2nd time) as we speak. It's really slow though. It's been 8 hours so far and only on step 18 of 76....

Again, this is a strong indication that your hard drive is failing.

...Someone on a different forum suggested that perhaps the hard drive controllers are bad.

Any idea on how to test for this?...

You have a notebook computer, the HDD controller is built into the chipset, that is built into the motherboard. Without changing the motherboard there's nothing you can do. I guess it's possible, but I still feel the HDD is probably failing. You could put the HDD back in your HP, power on, press F8, select 'Repair your computer', 'Command Prompt', at the command prompt type in this command and press the enter key;

chkdsk c: /r

Let us know what happens.

...They also said that the cpu fan may have failed since it's sluggish, so it's moving slowly to prevent overheating.

However, I hear a fan every time the mahine is powered on.

Are there multiple fans? or a dedicated fan for the cpu? If there is, how do I test that?..

There are not multiple fans in your unit. If you hear spin and feel good air-flow then I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with your problem. As well, if the system is cold, eg. first thing in the morning having been off for several hours, it would not be hot enough to create an issue. Also, if the system senses it is getting too hot, it just shuts down to save the system, not works more slowly.

...Can the Toshiba Recovery disks/media be downloading for free? If so, I'd like put them onto my USB thumb drive. Also, how are the Toshiba Recovery disks different than doing a "Factory Restore" in the Advanced Boot Options?...

No, they cannot be downloaded for free. You can order them on a thumbdrive. The difference is you can use the disks to rebuild your system when the hard drive has become corrupted or failed, using the disks/media also rebuilds the recovery partition on the hard drive.

You can still order the recovery disks/media to rebuild your system:

Ordering Recovery Media

You could also try these third party recovery media suppliers. But, we have no information on them so use caution.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

You should return your BIOS to the default settings. Power on, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press F2 to enter the BIOS Setup, press F9 to load setup deafults, press F10 to save and exit.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
RebeccaOwen

[ Edited ]

This sucks. I've done two factory restores, two runs of chkdsk (one on the bad Toshiba and one on the good HP).

When it does run in Windows, it's ridiculously slow and unresponsive. Most of the time I get stuck at the Boot Menu and can't get past the BIOS. Ugh...

Do the Toshiba Recovery disks/media do anything different than doing a "Factory Restore" in the Advanced Boot Options?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...Can the Toshiba Recovery disks/media be downloading for free? If so, I'd like put them onto my USB thumb drive. Also, how are the Toshiba Recovery disks different than doing a "Factory Restore" in the Advanced Boot Options?...

No, they cannot be downloaded for free. You can order them on a thumbdrive. The difference is you can use the disks to rebuild your system when the hard drive has become corrupted or failed, using the disks/media also rebuilds the recovery partition on the hard drive.

When you run the chkdsk on the 'good HP' what is the difference from when you run it on the 'bad Toshiba'? Has chckdsk found more bad clusters each time you have run it?

Mike

Occasional Contributor
RebeccaOwen

After dozens of attempts to get back into Windows, I gave up on the Toshiba laptop and popped the drive into my HP laptop. It booted into Windows right away. After installing all of the drivers, it forced me to reboot. Again, it booted up right away. It's not as fast as my normal HP bootup, but that's probably because the HP is 7200rpm vs. Toshiba 5400rpm drive. At the desktop, it seems to be responding to my commands at an acceptable level. It's not the typical "fast" I experience, but it's a hell of a lot better than the sluggish performance I was experiencing with the Toshiba laptop. Anyway, despite the bad clusters reported in the first chkdsk, the drive seems to be doing fine. I'm doing another chkdsk (3rd one) as we speak. Will post results in a few hours.

In the meantime, a friend suggested that the Master Boot Record (MBR) might have gotten corrupted. He continued to say that perhaps the MBR got rewritten in it's corrupt state during the factory restore and theirs no chance of reverting back to the "last known configuration", so I'm screwed. Ha, not sure if I believe anything he says though. I imagine if this is true, the only way to fix the MBR is to get the Toshiba Recovery disks/media, right?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Rebecca

If the Master Boot Record (MBR) was corrupted, the Toshiba HD would not boot up on the HP. The MBR is present on the disk/HDD you are trying to boot off. Once you have removed the HDD from the HP you have removed its MBR. Once you put the Toshiba HDD in your HP, you are booting off the Toshiba HDD, and hence using its MBR. So, if the Toshiba HDD boots fine in the HP, there's nothing wrong with its MBR.

Given everything, this would point to some hardware problem with the Toshiba, something other than its HDD. This would be especially true, if you have not been getting more bad clusters on each run of chkdsk.

What I would try now is powering off the Toshiba, and removing one of the RAM modules. Try to boot with just the one RAM module, see what happens. Then move that same RAM module to the other slot, try to boot up again. Repeat the process with the other RAM module. You are trying to discover if you have a bad RAM module, or a bad RAM slot.

Also, see this article, read up on the memory diagnostic. You want to use the Advanced Options, extended test, and a high enough pass count to let it run over night. You want to run this if the module test above, does not identify a bad module or a bad slot. Run it with both modules in the computer.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Diagnosing memory problems on your computer

Mike

Occasional Contributor
RebeccaOwen

I finally found a Windows 7 disc. Been messing with the repair settings for hours. It couldn't automatically repair the issues, so I've been doing it manually using the command prompt. It's having a variety of troubles in the Bootmgr (MBR - Volume does not contain a recognized file system; can't rebuild Bcd; and too many other things to type here). I'm tired of writing code. :smileyfrustrated:

I think it's a hardware issue, like a storage controller. No clue how to verify this though.

Also, I swapped the RAM in every possible configuration as suggested and it seems fine. I even tested it using the memory from the HP laptop.

In the meantime, I just started the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Doing the Extended memory test overnight with a max of 60 passes. I'd be shocked if it finds anything though.