AbsolutAlbert
Accepted Solution

Can a Qosmio be reset/reformat to factory defaults?

I had an old HP that i could push F2 or F3 and it would give me the option to reformat it to the way it was when it was brand new. Like with all the factory programs installed to it.

Does my Qosmio X505-Q890 have the same feature, if so how do i get to that screen?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Can a Qosmio be reset/reformat to factory defaults?

Qosmio X505-Q890

See the section Recovering to out-of-box state (recommended recovery method), which begins on p. 61 of the User's Guide.

Qosmio X500 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
AbsolutAlbert

excellent, thanks a bunch

pgeorge

Hi,

I also have a Toshiba Qosmio X500 (10Z model) and I tried to reset it. But, when I turn it on with the zero key pressed it starts beeping. The beeps stops while the Toshiba logo appears with the options to enter Bios or manage the boot devices, but afterwards it's keep on beeping. And then.. nothing happens, only the beep is played. When I release the zero key it starts loading windows. That's it.. no menu. In my laptop's manual it's the same: start your computer with zero key pressed.. but it doesn't work for me.

I tried with F8-> System Recovery-> Toshiba HDD Recovery, but it only reinstalls windows. And it's not enough, I want a factory reset, I want to redefine my partitions, RAID & so on.. 

Is there any way I can reset it without a recovery DVD? Am I doing something wrong when I try to boot with 0 key pressed? 

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
Sunday2

[ Edited ]

Jerry,

I followed the instructions to reset to factory defaults "Recover to out-of-box state", but all data and programs on the E drive were untouched. (But the reset did rename the E drive to D for some reason.) Do I now need to run the "erase the hard drive" function? And since I'm dealing with a virus or spyware issue, should I choose "Delete all partitions and overwrite all sectors on the hard disk"? There is nothing on that disk that I want to save; everything is backed up.