jaxon121

CLEAN Windows 7 install?

Hello,

I just purchased my first Toshiba laptop and being the purist that I am, I would like a CLEAN Windows 7 installation without all the software (such as the trial version of Microsoft office, Norton, etc.) that was factory-installed.

The documentation says to use the recovery partition or DVD's created from the recovery partition.  I understand that process.

However, my question is this: Will the recovery process result in a truly "out of the box" state, including all that software I don't want clogging up my system? Or will it result in just a CLEAN Windows 7 installation?

Thanks for any responses!

LiviuM

Re: CLEAN Windows 7 install?

I just did last night a 'back to factory' install on a Satellite A500 Windows7. After about 3 hours and at least 15 restarts (it did all by itself), I was back to factory installation. That means, Norton, Office trial and everything. BUT, when I got to Norton and Office, I was asked if I agreed to their 'terms and coditions'. I said 'yes', but I guess that if you just say 'no', these two trial versions won't get installed.

jaxon121

Thanks for the response, LiviuM.

Anyone know if there is an option to install JUST Windows 7 without all the factory-installed software? If it's not worth going through hours of time and trouble, I'd love to know in advance...

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

You can NOT perform a clean install of WIndows from the Recovery Disks from Toshiba or any other computer manufacturer.  You can only restore the system to it's factory out of box state.  If you want to LEGALLY perform a clean install of just Windows 7 you'll need to purchase an actual licensed WIndows 7 upgrade disk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

jaxon121

OK, thanks for the clarification, cee. It's as I feared...... sad that we are forced to deal with whatever software the manufacturer has chosen (or perhaps it's more accurate to say, is contractually obligated) to ram down our throats. Sigh. =)

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I easily uninstalled the few third party programs that I didn't want and got on with things.  My laptop runs just fine.  In fact, it runs better from the factory install than it does from a clean install. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

jaxon121

I should add that Dell recovery discs allow you to install just the OS, but sadly, I can NOT trust the quality of Dell laptops, which is why I went with Toshiba for this purchase. (Not positive about Dell laptops on this issue, but I just bought a Dell desktop and it came with the Windows OS software, no strings attached.)

jaxon121

Yup I'm in the process of uninstalling those right now, although things like MS Office and Norton are notorious for clogging up a system's registry and other resources even once they are "uninstalled." I'm hoping that's less of an issue now that it has been in the past.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

For Norton you HAVE to use their Norton Removal Tool to get rid of it properly. Uninstalling it from the COntral Panel is a sure fire way to bork your system up.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

R3clu23

I am also looking to install a clean version of Windows 7. It seems some of the pre-installed software creates a "latency" issue for me and the software I use for djin.Since alot of the software in the background is checking for new drivers and monitoring my hdd.

I just want a stable laptop without all the fluff.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

R3clu23 wrote:

I am also looking to install a clean version of Windows 7. It seems some of the pre-installed software creates a "latency" issue for me and the software I use for djin.Since alot of the software in the background is checking for new drivers and monitoring my hdd.

I just want a stable laptop without all the fluff.

See my reply to this on the other thread.