ec150405

Booting into BIOS after CMS was enabled

I have a satellite e45t-a4300 laptop that came with Windows 8. I upgraded it to 8.1 a few months back and have not had any issues with it. 

Last night when I turned on the laptop I received the following message on the screen:

Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information
File: \BCD
Error code: 0xc000000d

Hitting escape would take me into the BIOS. I tried to reboot and enter the recovery partition but it would always just take me back to the error message. I went into the BIOS and change the boot mode from UEFI to CMS and now when I reboot I get the following error message:

PXE-MOF: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I am also not able to get into the BIOS to change the boot mode back to UEFI. I tried holding down F2, F12, Esc, 0 and nothing will boot me back into the BIOS.

I called support and he told me on the phone they are not trained for that level of technicality and I would have to send it in for repair and I would be responsible for shipping and the warranty may not cover what needs to be fixed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to 1) get back into the BIOS and change it back to UEFI so I can try to get back to the recovery partition, or 2) know how to resolve this issue?

I haven't tried downloading a Windows 8 image on a bootable USB yet but open to ideas/suggestions.

Thanks!

Super Advisor
eagle3

Re: Booting into BIOS after CMS was enabled

Press the shift button when you turn off laptop, then possibly the fn and f2 to reach BIOS.  Once you do try f8 to do a startup repair.

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 7 ****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
ec150405

Thank you for the reply, however holding down fn and F2 during reboot still does not get me into the BIOS. I still get the message saying:

PXE-MOF: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Super Advisor
eagle3

Remove hard drive, leave out and try to enter Bio's to make your changes. Then reinstall the hard drive and try 

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 7 ****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
ec150405

I would do that but I'm a little cautious since I do not want to void my warranty for the time being.