Booting into BIOS after CMS was enabled

I have a satellite e45t-a4300 laptop that came with Windows 8. I upgraded it to 8.1 a few months back and have not had any issues with it. 

Last night when I turned on the laptop I received the following message on the screen:

Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information
File: \BCD
Error code: 0xc000000d

Hitting escape would take me into the BIOS. I tried to reboot and enter the recovery partition but it would always just take me back to the error message. I went into the BIOS and change the boot mode from UEFI to CMS and now when I reboot I get the following error message:

PXE-MOF: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I am also not able to get into the BIOS to change the boot mode back to UEFI. I tried holding down F2, F12, Esc, 0 and nothing will boot me back into the BIOS.

I called support and he told me on the phone they are not trained for that level of technicality and I would have to send it in for repair and I would be responsible for shipping and the warranty may not cover what needs to be fixed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to 1) get back into the BIOS and change it back to UEFI so I can try to get back to the recovery partition, or 2) know how to resolve this issue?

I haven't tried downloading a Windows 8 image on a bootable USB yet but open to ideas/suggestions.

Thanks!

Topics: 28
Kudos: 1,050
Solutions: 119

Re: Booting into BIOS after CMS was enabled

Press the shift button when you turn off laptop, then possibly the fn and f2 to reach BIOS.  Once you do try f8 to do a startup repair.

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7 Pro & 8.1Pro, C55-A5180 Windows 8.1****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****

Thank you for the reply, however holding down fn and F2 during reboot still does not get me into the BIOS. I still get the message saying:

PXE-MOF: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Remove hard drive, leave out and try to enter Bio's to make your changes. Then reinstall the hard drive and try 

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7 Pro & 8.1Pro, C55-A5180 Windows 8.1****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****

I would do that but I'm a little cautious since I do not want to void my warranty for the time being.

Occasional Contributor

i was unable to get into the bios using any of the F keys and Windows 8.1 would not boot so no UEFI. i sent mine in via Geek Squad warranty   -  happened just a month after factory warranty expired -geek squad will cover or replace. However i would like to know for later how to do this   i WONDER IF TOSHIBA HAS A CURE FOR THIS - IS THERE SOMETHING I AM MISSING  - all i can ASSUME is that something is broken?? I sure hope that it doesn't mean that if Windows won't boot you need to send your computer in to be fixed??

Press the shift key when turning off then hold or rapidly tap the f2 key when starting

Occasional Contributor

anyone jhave any ideas?

Occasional Contributor

i tried that several times

Press f12 at startup and then set up, I think it was setup that took me to the bio's.

Occasional Contributor

what is CMS? i have been using bios(cmos) for 25 yrs.  this one i can't enter - lucky i paid for geek squad and they have it  coming back repaired  as we speak(i think the hard drive pooped and caused other issues- the suspense ......)- i will update when recieved .........................:smileyhappy

Topics: 73
Kudos: 6,283
Solutions: 2,895

Satellite E45t-A4300

If your computer has Windows 8.0 when returned (that's likely), follow these instructions to properly upgrade to 8.1.

How to Update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

what is CMS? i have been using bios(cmos) for 25 yrs.

The rules have changed. We oldsters have some relearning to do.

The BIOS has been replaced by the UEFI. One can simulate some functions of a BIOS by switching the UEFI to CSM (not CMS).

The old partitioning with an MBR now uses GPT.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jerry, so once recieved repaired, i make my backup boot usb and put it away, i upgrade to Win 8.1, then change within Windows from UEFI to CSM so that if this ever happens in the future when not under warranty, i would be able to get into bios as normal(hit del, f2, f12 or whatever) and  say replace my hard drive etc which i would have done if no warranty? i wonder what prevented me from being able to get to bios - was it hte equip failure - will know what it was when i recieve the computer(although the  e45t-a4300 would always boot to the Toshiba splash screen) or was it because i had not previously(before hardware issue) changed from within Windows to CSM from UEFI?

i make my backup boot usb and put it away, ...  then change within Windows from UEFI to CSM so that if this ever happens in the future when not under warranty, i would be able to get into bios as normal

No need mess around in the UEFI in order to restore from recovery media (your backup boot usb). According to everything I read here, it works for Secure Boot. CSM is for booting from old-fashion media, like a Windows 7 installation DVD.

Reaching the UEFI when Windows won't boot is otherwise problematic. If you've completely shut down Windows 8, there's no problem. But normal shutdown is really a hibernate of the kernel files. So normal shutdown creates fast boot.

Even when Windows was not completely shut down, you should be able to access the recovery environment (which is on a separate partition) and reach the UEFI from there. You can practice that from within Windows 8.1.

Settings > Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings

The recovery environment in Windows 8.x starts at the Choose an option menu, which contains the Troubleshoot option above..

choose an option.png

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, recieved the Toshiba e45t-a4300 back from the Geek Squad and had to make a seperate phone call and pull theeth to find out what was repaired. The hard drive was replaced, the palm rest was replaced(so i/we still do not know the origin or the click - was it the interupt being set off through the speakers - like in the old days with a sound card using wrong resources - or was the periotic click the hard drive)- did not have enough time to diagnois before it totally died. As far as the Geek Squad repairs : look good, and they were fast!

I will see what bios version they sent it back with once i remember wher to look

Be sure to follow instructions when you upgrade to 8.1 - and to create a USB flash drive containing recovery media.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor

Thaniks Jerry, i checked the Windows version they reinstalled and it was 8.1 so i did not even do a recovery media  - i am relying on the 32 gig usb i did originally a year ago. i  don't know if i could do it now that i have put like Classic Shell, Open Office etc? Please let me know if i can do it now that i have put stuff on the hard drive?  like i said i figured the recovery usb i made a year ago would work?

i checked the Windows version they reinstalled and it was 8.1

Hmm. I wonder what they did. Probably restored the hard disk using the normal Toshiba recovery media for that model and then upgraded. That means the recovery partition would have Windows 8.0. I know of no way to tell for sure.

Or maybe there is no recovery partition? Open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) and attach a picture.

In any case, you should create an image of the current drive for backup  Windows 8.1 has that feature here.

Control Panel > File History > System Image Backup (at the lower left)

You should write those periodically to an external drive. I can give you a shortcut to there. Or you can use a third-party application.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor

on further investigation i see they have the latest bios updated to ver. 1.5 so they did that update and the win 8.1 update. i stuck the year old 16 gig usb in and created a new recovery drive(search/system recovery/create...etc). does that sound ok? does it matter or should i go ahead and change the UEFI to CSM in case pc crashes again? i am still irritated that i don't have anything in writing on exactly what was replaced, why, and by what(refurb etc).

Occasional Contributor

i was also wondering 2 things: can i delete the recovery partition on the pc as it asks after the recovery usb has been created - is there a speed benifit to it, is it on the SSD portion so it would do wonders by freeing up flash ram space??    and # 2: should i make a recovery disk for my other identical pc that since my original recovery usb i made i have used for a year and updated to win 8.1 and flashed the bios to ver 1.5  -  i.e. can i create a recovery usb on a computer used for a year WITHOUT a new clean install?/

Thanks A lot!