vlj
vlj

Boot Manager missing

I have a Satellite U300 That took a fall and I cannot get it to boot up.  How can I get past the Boot Manager Missing msg and press "Cntrl' Alt Delete to restart " Msg and get it to read the recovery disk or is there something else I must do to fix this problem.  Thanks for your help.  This is on Windows Vista. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Boot Manager missing

It's hard to tell, but the first thing I would do is test the hard drive to make sure it didn't sustain any physical damage during the fall, especially if the laptop was on when it fell. 

To check the ram you need to download the Memtest CD Iso, create the CD using the Burn From Image option, then boot to it and allow it to run through a minimum of 3 complete passes.  If it shows ANY errors whatsoever then you have defective ram. 

To test the hard drive determine what brand of hard drive you have.  You can check the Bios/Setup to find out or run SIW or Belarc Advisor.  Go to that manufacturer's support site and download their Self Booting Diagnostic CD ISO image, create the CD using the Burn From Image option (see http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm for more information on doing this), then boot to it and run the most exhaustive tests available.  If you have a Toshiba drive you will need to use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test as Toshiba doesn't supply their own.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

vlj
vlj

Re: Boot Manager missing

Thank you I will give this a try.  Your assistance is very helpful and greatly appreciated.