Occasional Contributor
dvd_94

Boot Failure at start up problems

For the past several months I have been getting Boot Failure errors on my L670 (it is 10 months old).  It was only occassionally at first, now it is at every start up.  Here is the game that it plays:  I will boot up - it goes to my desktop fine - and then it will wait (like it is hoping I will even think of starting a program).  I usually open Outlook or the internet -- at that moment the screen will turn black and a message states "Boot Failure".  [if I do not open a program and play the waiting game, it will give me about 5 minutes, give up waiting and crash on its own to the Boot Failure black screen -- this will also happen in Safe Mode, BTW]. 

After the boot failure screen another screen comes up with some Intel and RealTec company  information and a line that starts with "Client Mac Addr" and a string of numbers.  At the end of the string is a bar that rotates.  It will rotate for a few minutes than the Boot Menu screen opens.  Whether I hit ESC or choose the Default and Save, it will usually repeat the whole sequence again.  After 2 or 3 tries it will eventually make its way to the "Start in Normal Mode" (Windows did not close properly screen), and all will be well.  If I keep it running it will never have another problem for days.  However, the moment I decide to save the environment and shut it down, I know I will be faced with 20 to 30 minutes of iterations when I turn it on again.  (this does not seem to happen when I Restart, only if I Shut Down for the night and boot it up the next day). Please help -- if I had the money, I would throw this thing in the trash.

I am more than frustrated with this situation because of the amount of time I have spent starting up my computer, researching the problem, and now sending requests for help to anyone that will listen.  Speaking of listening -- Toshiba's solution (after only pulling the battery to see if that worked): do a total Recovery and start from scratch.  I found it discouraging that tech support would take the 'easy way out', rather than try to diagnose the issue.  I owned a Toshiba Satellite before this and on the rare occassion that I had an issue with it, I had great experiences with Support -- and it prompted me to buy another when my last one died after almost 5 years (not even due to the laptop but rather a program that I installed that corrupted everything).  Now that I know that if the only solution to their "in warrenty" laptop is to start from scratch, I can guarentee I will never buy another Toshiba.  It is the same thing that I said about Dell after years of great products.  I guess all that I have left is to jump ship and go with a Mac.  I realize I am asking a lot of product-- to work flawlessly for years -- but I had many computers since 1994 that did just that. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Boot Failure at start up problems

Which L670? There is a label on the bottom.

Let's make two experiments.

What happens when you boot into Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

What happens when you boot normally into another account. If necessary, create one.

Create a user account 

..do a total Recovery

That's virtually the only way to be certain the problem is not caused by software.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dvd_94

1. Under the L670 is a Part No:  PSK3AU-02L036

2. Yes, it happens in safe mode

3.  I'd rather not set up another User -- I would imagine it would start having all sorts of redundancies that I would have to try to delete afterward.  This thing has enough problem with one user!  But what might it resolve if I did?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'd rather not set up another User .. ..what might it resolve if I did?

It's possible that corruption in your profile causes the trouble. You can always delete the new account.

If it solves the problem, we'll move your stuff to it and eventually delete the existing account.

Your choice. I'm not here to argue.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
dvd_94

ANSWER TO PROBLEM -- FYI FOR JERRY AND OTHERS:

Problem was that the hard drive was slowly dying (the problem had grown steadily worse over 2 months).  Toshiba tried to do an over the phone diagnostic -- but it was difficult as it would not remain 'up' long enough to check anything.  Sent it back to Toshiba for analysis -- they put in a new hard drive -- seems to be ok since (it's been a few weeks since I re-installed all of my programs again and put it back into service).  Thanks anyway for your help -- but thought it would be good to follow-up for you and others. 

P.S. Jerry, I wasn't arguing! :-) - just did not want to cause more confusion for my already totally confused laptop with redundant users -- and if that did not confuse it, once I deleted the account, it might then -- since even deleting accounts often leaves remnants in places you don't even know exists!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Problem was that the hard drive was slowly dying..

Got it.

Good luck!

-Jerry