Kirsche

Black screen after Windows 7 Update

[ Edited ]

After a Windows update was installed my laptop has not been able to boot up past a black screen; the cursor is still visible/movable. Safe mode and every other possible mode on advanced boot has the same outcome. Even recovery with "0" is impossible, though it did work fine previous to this.

The laptop is a Satellite L645D-S4040. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Black screen after Windows 7 Update

Satellite L645D-S4040

I suppose you didn't burn a Windows 7 repair disc.

Create a system repair disc

Download one from here (scroll down to the link Windows 7 System Repair Disc 64-bit.)

Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Use it to boot to the Windows Recovery Environment.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Keep careful notes of what you try there and then what happens. Report all that to us in detail. Please remember that we can't see what you see.

-Jerry
Kirsche

Unfortunately I didn't create a repair disc.

After booting from the burned repair disc I chose Startup Repair and it takes about 45 minutes, but then it just pops up with a screen saying "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically".

I should mention that the laptop is actually belongs to a friend and she gave it to me about 3 weeks ago because it wouldn't load properly after entering her password on the startup screen. Everything else seemed to work fine and I was able to recover it to factory settings. It worked fine for a week or so, then she let Windows Update run and that was it.

If we're unable to fix it ourselves, it is under warranty still and there happens to be a Toshiba repair debot nearby.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

1. Sometimes you need to run Startup Repair more than once. Run it again now. And again if Windows does not boot after things below.

2. Try a System Restore.

3. Open a command prompt and enter this to check the disk. It may run for a long time.

chkdsk c: /r

Again, keep careful notes of what you try and then what happens. (And there are other things to try.)

-Jerry
Kirsche

I've tried it multiple times and have had no luck.

System Restore wouldn't work, I'm assuming because it was turned off. I had tried chkdsk previously after using Startup Repair and it shoots me back a message saying another repair is in process, restart computer. Restarting unfortunately didn't work.

More recently on restart I don't even make it to the black screen, I'm just getting the "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause", etc. It says to insert Windows Installation disc and File: \Boot\BCD -- Status: 0xc0000098.

Thank you for all your help so far. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Try this at the command prompt.

bootrec /RebuildBcd

-Jerry
Kirsche

[ Edited ]

RebuildBcd ran smoothly and came up as:

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Total identified Windows installations: 0

Oops. Now try it this way.

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

-Jerry
Kirsche

File not found - bcd after entering attrib bcd -s -h -r. ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old also comes up with cannot find the file specified. I typed it before noticing the attrib part didn't work.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If cd boot was okay and attrib bcd was not, then the the bcd is apparently missing. Bad news. Time to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

Are there important files to recover first?

Even recovery with "0" is impossible, though it did work fine previous to this.

If the recovery discs were not created,  you can obtain them from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
Kirsche

[ Edited ]

I don't believe there's anything overly important on the laptop that wasn't already backed up onto an external HDD by the owner. She decided to mail in the laptop to the depot to be repaired too.

Thank you for all your patience and help dealing with this. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Best of luck..

-Jerry