Black Screen of Death

Black Screen of Death

Cannot find help on recovering from the "black screen of death" when laptop will not boot  and displays a blank screen with just a cursor.  It is not the command prompt because it does not take any commands.  NB205-N311/W does not have port to boot from CD.

Re: Black Screen of Death

I guess I need to order recovery media online from Toshiba.  Can I save money by ordering the recovery media on DVD then copy to a USB stick?

Topics: 70
Kudos: 821
Solutions: 482

Try the suggestions in this article.

What can I do if my Windows 7 or Windows Vista laptop won't start?

Copying them directly to a USB stick does not usually work.

- Peter

Having trouble with the black screen of death. Managed to get the computer started again after taking out the battery and pressing Fn F5, but it took 3 days for that to finally happen. Seems to be an intermittent problem. Satellite L645.  5 years old. Fan runs hot - probably needs cleaning. Been seeing a note that the battery needs to be replaced. Took it to a computer man today who told me the motherboard was likely destroyed....and yet it's working again. He tried a new battery. No luck. Said the AC adapter was OK. Recommended I get a new computer. Any advice? 

It's hard to say. I can't really know exactly what might be failing if there is a part failure. You can eliminate software as a possible cause by performing a recovery. After that, if the problem persists, you'll at least know it requires servicing of some sort.

- Peter

Hi,

The black screen seems to be triggered by closing the lid of the laptop. It's been working fine for a few days, but I am leaving it open on my dining room table. I found one thread that suggested such a problem might be related to a messed up magnet/switch in the lid. The work-around was starting the computer with the lid at a 30 degree angle. This worked right away. Then I tried going into the power options and disabling the sleep function when you shut the lid - after I did that, I couldn't start it again due to the black screen...opening the lid to a 30 degree angle didn't help. Eventually, I got it started and I set it back to sleep when the lid is closed, and since then I've left it open...and it's still working. 

I don't know if it would survive a system recovery since the machine won't necessarily start once it goes off.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Hello z3ladytn, Welcome to the community, black screen pop up after the system crash and there are various causes of black screen of death such as Windows security update, malware, graphic card driver corruption, etc. Can you please tell me the exact cause of Black screen of death so I can advise you better solution.

Unfortunately, I've never really dealt with this kind of problem. I'm not sure, but maybe someone else in the community who has experienced this will have some advice.

- Peter