Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Re: BIOS Update Failure Satellite L505D-S5965

[ Edited ]

Mike, a fine morning to you.

>>> Well Jean, what have you got to say to Mr.Zach now?  C'est bon?  :smileyhappy:

I said it, congrats.  I still will study his procedure, it still has not sunk in my brain. Where is the signal coming from to use the USB device if the BIOS is crunged ? My very open mind will accept this as a learning process. This forum is great for this kind of information. How is his use of the Fn+F getting the signal to use the USB ? I shall read his procedure over again to see if it was a USB device that he was using.

Still, this is fun.  Jean.

NB:  Ah !  this might be the key : AMI has an embedded recovery technique in the 'boot block' of the BIOS.

And the text keeps on explaining how to do this. Good on AMI and on Zac for this. I have learned !

Jmcman

hello,

i repeated the steps explained, and it does this:

This product is covered by one or more of the following patents....... (whole bunch of patents)

Realtec PCI Express fast Ethernet Controler Series v1.15 (090224)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Editing PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

i have the exact same model (l505d-s5965) and have the BIOS.fd in the root of the flash drive. the flashdrive is in a slot..... and the result above is all i get... any ideas? i have the exact same problem as the guy in the link I'll post below and he was advised to go to this thread for his solution.....
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/L505D-S5965-BIOS-not-fully-ACPI-compliant/...

-thank you

djlav

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,A few weeks ago you gave me suggestions on resolving a problem with my USB ports on my NB205-N230(part no PLL28U-00700Y).It involved first updating my BIOS which you gave me and then my driver chipsets which you gave me and I downloaded from Toshiba downloads.Problem? During the execution of the downloaded bios file today (done from inside windows as that was the only plausible option for me);had got to flash bios, the process stopped due to a problem windows was checking into.I tried the process again and the same thing happened.I now fear that my BIOS may have been damaged even though my pC is working correctly right now.I use my PC in Freetown, far away from a toshiba certified technician..What can I do?I'm now fearful of switching the PC off.

hawkslair

Mannnn.....u just made my day!!! id been goign crazy tryign to fix a similar problem , went through a lot of forums till i stumbled on this thread and dude...it worked PERFECTLY!!! thanks a lot!!!!:smileyhappy:....

optimisjoe

[ Edited ]

I tried the Fn+F keystroke + power button, but some lights come on and it keeps rebooting over and over again and I never hear the fan turn on until I let go of the power button. After that, it just boots regularly into BIOS Post....still unable to use the USB drive method. Any suggestions?

Mike_Grover

I am having the exact same problem as the above post. I was able to reinstall the bios from burning it to a bootable cd and it reports it as successful but none of the other symptoms changed. Keyboard is not functional once you get past the Toshiba screen.

"I can punch F2 to enter BIOS or F12 to enter Boot Manager, but the system doesn't responcd to keyboard in either.

I removed the hdd and booted off a recovery disc, which yeilded the same BSOD.

I attempted to flash BIOS off a USB as described in the above mentioned post, and it never worked. It looks like it never accessed the flash drive. The BIOS version is the most current available according to Toshiba, 1.5

If I remove the HDD and don't have a Recory disc in the DVD drive, I get:

"PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

No Bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

This is the same with the BIOS flash drive or without."

I have searched for any follow ups beyond the above post and can't find any.

Any help would be wonderful.

nisser

First thanks for the help everyone, I have the same model of laptop toshiba satellite L505D-S5965 had the same problem that when you turn the keyboard did not work could hardly push f2 and f12 but could not do anything else because apparently all was blocked. Here I give the help to put the 1.50 bios update on a usb flash, follow the steps in the fn + f. I felt that it was working earlier but was interrupted by an accident the procedure when disconnecting the power adapter. Now turn on the laptop but the screen is all black not light, but the fan or cooler is running. Try to do the procedure here supported and will not start anything. Any help to repair a corrupt bios?

mak8946

[ Edited ]

I probably shouldn't ask this question - but how do I remove the hard drive.   I'm having the same issue - and figured what they heck - I've already ruined the computer by doing a suggested update - why not go all the way and take it apart.  LOL

So 1. how do i take it out and 2.  is there a way to recover my data from the comptuer if it is indeed "toast" 

I know nothing about computers - I'm real good at using them and real good at breaking them.

ETA I may or may not have found the hard drive and removed it - but either way - the light on my flash drive doesn't light up when I follow the steps.   So I guess I'll take it to my comptuer guy at work when school starts again and see if he can salvage it.

haskov

Re: BIOS Update Failure Satellite C655-S5049

I had the same problem in Bios update i install the file ACPI Flash Bios.zip in the computer then it dosn't

worked for afew days while i was restart it and the login to the Bios and save the default setting and apply ?

i was try to go through your solutions but i fail can you guid me again.

you mean press FN +F(which on i press F9) then with the power on while removing the HD+Battery )

regards

Occasional Organizer
jordierocks94

Thxs for step-by-step info.  I use an L505 with Insyde BIOS as well.  Not aware my 3/10 purchase required an up-date.  Will research at Insyde web site.  

As to the step-by-step BIOS recovery instructions -- my question is are these instructions only for crashed systems?  And, second, to clarify that BIOS updates are to be done from appropriate external media/drives, rather than from within Windows for just the reasons exhibited in this initial post -- loss of power during update or other problems makes toast of BIOS / OS and therefore very difficult to restore system.  

I recall CCNA router class where we practiced flashing old generation router bios on class "lab" H/W which was quite sophisticated for a lab setting considering we were using very legacy routers.  I never used this info on a real live network, however, I have learned to humble myself and ask for help esp with H/W stuff and the BIOS is the brain that allows the OS to run on the H/W.  So, I slow my roll and get step-by-step instructions from books, web sites, youtube.com videos etc before I start toward changes.  In 10+ years I have never fried a M/B nor crashed out an OS either on the PC or the Apple side and that includes use of a 2nd generation iPod (10G) which also functions as an external hard drive.

chris32347

It did not work for me.  did i only need to put the bios on the flash drive  (mk10a200.fd)?

TJ2011

Hello, I've been reading all these threads for the past two weeks. I'm at my wits end. The person who got theirs working never responded who they did it. I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965. Upon starting all I can do it get F2 or F12 to work on the keyboard. No external mouse or keyboard works. The cmos is InsydeH20 rev 3.5.

if i just let it run. It will go to start vista and the I get the BSOD saying the bios in this system is not fully ACPI Compliant. I've gone to the Toshiba and downloaded the bios. Unzipped the slm0v150 file and copied to external floppy, CD and USB. I've pressed the FN+ESC, FN+F, Winkey+B. Nothing works. Those blink 3 times looking for an apparent file. I've read so many things, I'm getting confused. Not sure if it's a InsydeH20 or winflash or what. I've followed every suggestion but nothing has worked. What's funny is it took 3 seconds for it not to work and now 2 weeks and 15 hours later, I can seem to get it to work. I guess you can color me stupid...thanks for all the suggestions however. Perhaps it's time to toss. Not worth the aggravation anymore…Tammy

thucbidalo

Thanks a lot. I follow exactly your instruction, and it works beautifully. You saved me a lot of money. In the mean time, one of the reply from somebody saying he got message about patents,...pxe exit/failed then no boot partition, etc... I got the same message but remember we got the message because no hard drive to boot from. So if the message came up as such, you are successfully done fixing the BIOS. My laptop is L305-S5944 and the bios is 2.20. There are instructions from Toshiba to press U to boot from USB and C from CD, but they are not working. Yours works beautifully. You are genius!!!! C'est tres bon et merveilleux....  

bottom_out

Awesome job, Easy!

I've been working on my sister's L505-S5966 for the better part of 2 days trying to find a way to get it to take the BIOS files. I'm not sure if renaming "pr10m150.fd" was nessesary, but the "FN+F" Key sequence was the information that I was looking for.

When you down load the BIOS Update, Toshiba inlcudes a "README.txt" in the zip file that includes directions for loading the BIOS outside of the OS. It comes complete with a .iso file that supposedly creates a bootable disk to load it from. They tell you to hit the "C" key while powering on to direct it to the CD/DVD ROM and "U" to direct it to an external drive via USB. IT DOES NOT WORK! At least not when they've already wiped your existing BIOS, leaving you with "Brain-Dead" machine.

I guess if it doesn't work that's just money in someone else's pocket since the only other advice they can give you is to send it off and pay someone else to fix it.

Again, GREAT WORK!

I hope you don't mind if I CCP this over to anonter forum to help other people.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Good show BO.

Having learned to read a few years ago, I still do and doing some RTFM saves a lot of aggravation. You reading the .txt file from Toshiba saved your day.  It always amazes me that a new machine will get formatted before anything else and then that new user is up the creek and no paddle. Toshiba will provide you with the neccessay information, it takes just a little effort to use it. I also did my BIOS upgrade and that was no problem.

You be good.  JP.

andre_ru

Well guys, 2 things today as to the failure of blue screen and keyboard in TOSHIBA SATELLITE L505D S5965:

1. Procedure for update BIOS in TOSHIBA L505D S5965:

a. Remove Hard Disk from TOSHIBA L505D.

b. Burn BIOS in CD with ISO file from TOSHIBA SITE.

c. Insert disk into the drive.

c. Turn on.

d. New BIOS is installed automatically.

2. BUT it did not solve anything; the motherboard is DAMAGED ..... :smileysad:

LeeFischer

Howdy folk,

On a prayer, I'm posting to this conversation because it’s what I found first. This is extremely close to my dilemma and the participants are savvy enough to pick up the puck I'm shooting. It's been some weeks since I set it aside, I'm giving this one last shot before I junk it. That would be a shame, because other than the BIOS, it appears to be a perfectly fine piece of equipment. I really want this box to run for me.

I got a hand-me-down Satellite L505D-S5983 with a caveat that the BIOS had issues. And boy does it. In attempting to get the BIOS difficulties addressed, I was trying lots of things recommended here. I changed settings hoping to access a USB keyboard, except that I apparently turned off the internal keyboard. Whatever I changed, In doing that the BIOS is now rendered absolutely out of reach.

F2 won’t bring up BIOS, F12 won’t lead to bootable drives menu. Wherever I got this tip, Control-F2 gets the BIOS to display, in fact holding most keys such as just Q results in BIOS display. But then that's the closest I can get. As soon as I let go of Control, I get dialogue "Exit Discarding Changes Yes No", pre-parked on "Yes". No keys or key combo will switch or register as Yes or No, and while held, no other keys navigate or alter the menus.

I've downloaded and burned a BIOS flash disk from the BIOS update file here. But we never get that far.

Any assistance in getting around this bricked mobo will be much appreciated.

StevenL

I have a Toshiba L655-S5146 with this same problem. Fn+F doesnt seem to work. Ive downloaded the newest version of BIOS but am stuck there. Does the USB stick need to be bootable? What is best practice for this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!