NOCustService

BIOS L755-Beware of Toshiba Fix

I received an automatic update (below) from Toshiba, and when I accepted it, it killed my computer.  Now, when turned on, it whirs and whirs, but nothing comes up on the screen.  Spoke to Tech Support, and was told the laptop will have to be sent in to replace the hard drive.  Tech said that Toshiba is working to correct the patch.  So, it sounds like a problem Toshiba is aware of.

Warranty will cover the fix, but will not cover any software or files/docs lost.  Was told I will have to take it, at my expense, to another computer tech to have all files and software manually taken off and saved to be placed back on my laptop after Toshiba repairs it.  I've just had the laptop for 2 months.  It was working great until Toshiba sent the update.  Seems that Toshiba should be responsible for my expenses due to their faulty update.  Or, at the least, Toshiba would agree to manually do the backup and restore.

Occasional Contributor
thrashmichael

Re: BIOS L755-Beware of Toshiba Fix

If you have not sent them your computer yet you can try booting off of a Linux Live CD (I recomend Linux Mint 8). A live cd runs from the CD Rom and can move files from your internal hard drive to an external hard drive. In fact I just did this with my Toshiba Satellite L755-S5306 after getting a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

Occasional Contributor
thrashmichael

Re: BIOS L755-Beware of Toshiba Fix

Here is a link to Mint 8

http://mirror.yellowfiber.net/linuxmint/stable/8/LinuxMint-8.iso

If you attempt this you will have to download the above image and burn it to a disc. Once that is done put the disc in your rom. Boot your laptop into the BIOS and make sure your ROM is the first in your boot order then reboot. It will take a few minutes but Mint will boot and you can plug an external hard drive into your computer and drag all of your files over.