Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

After Restoring to New Hard Disk, No Windows Update - a Fix

[ Edited ]

We've seen cases recently when after restoring to a newly installed hard disk using Toshiba recovery media, things do not work right. In particular, you may notice right away that Windows Update does not work. Or there are messages about unsigned drivers.

It appears that under some circumstances restoring to one of the new advanced format drives can cause this trouble. Such drives are increasingly common. Here are a few at NewEgg.

Installing an updated Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver appears to fix the problem.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

All this is so far largely speculation. There have been too few incidents. If others have evidence related to what I've said, please add to this topic. 

I want also to mention that Microsoft has Windows' updates for those using advanced format drives.

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Form...

A hotfix rollup that improves Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 compatibility with Advanced Form...

-------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------

Edited to add a reference to this message.

After restoring to an advanced-format disk, accessing may be slower

-------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------

Occasionally edited to change the link to the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver.

-Jerry
derooney

Re: After Restoring to New Hard Disk, No Windows Update - a Fix

I had exactly this problem with a Toshiba L455-S5975.  I installed the suggested Intel driver and it fixed the problem.

The new hard-drive was a 500 Gbyte SATA Western Digital drive.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thank you for contributing that!

Can you tell us anything else that would add to the picture?

We're there other signs of trouble besides Windows Update?

Can you give us the model number of the drive?

-Jerry
NetP

I have the same problem.  After 10 months my Toshiba Satellite A660/07T notebook hard drive crashed.  It was under warranty and Mobilecare have put a new hard drive in...now Windows won't update.  I thought that everyone should be okay since Toshiba Mobilecare 'fixed' it.  This is my first Toshiba (after two Dells) and I'm not that happy with it.

Cheers

Net

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A660/07T (PSAW3A-07T00R)

If you haven't yet tried the new hard-disk driver I suggested, Net, please try this update first.

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Form...

If that doesn't fix things, try installing this driver.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Please let us know how it goes.

-Jerry
johna0

I had the same problem; my hd failed, and after I did a recovery to a new hd (on a T135 S1310, Western Digital WD7500BPKT-60K4T0), the Windows updater stopped working. I had originally called Toshiba support, but they said it was a microsoft problem. After trying a bunch of things the MS support sugggested (and not working), I looked on this board today. The update driver worked like a charm--Update is working again. Thank so much for your posting!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

johna0 wrote:...

And thank you for adding to this thread, John.

-Jerry
kent3256

Just had this problem with a Satellite L505....drive failed, bought a new one and restored using the recovery set. Several device drivers were "unsigned" and Windows update would not function. After banging head on table, found this entry, installed the new disk driver and all is well. Fascinating that a SATA disk driver could cause that much trouble.

Kent

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thank you for adding to this thread, Kent.

I expect Toshiba will need to acknowledge this problem eventually.

-Jerry
deleneye

Hello all.

I am in need of information on repair boxes desperately. I bought a toshiba A665-S5170 from the US on the 11th of March, 2011 and it crashed sometime in June. I took it to the authorised repair center here in Nigeria but they were unable to fix it. I was however advised to send it back to the US. I want to know how I can get Toshiba to send a repair box to my brother's house where I have sent it to so it can be fixed within the 4 week period i will be staying in the US for.

Thank you

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I want to know how I can get Toshiba to send a repair box to my brother's house where I have sent it to so it can be fixed within the 4 week period i will be staying in the US for.

Your brother should call Toshiba at 800-457-7777.

-Jerry
Regular Advisor
bmurray

I also had an issue where I could not get Windows Update to work.  I have a L305-s5955 (MS VISTA 32-bit) and changed the OEM HD to a WD 320 GB.  Used Acronis to make an image of the system, swapped drives and installed image to new drive.  Everything worded fine, except I no longer could udate windows.  After a little searching online, installed the Intel RST and that fixed the problem.  Hope this helps someone else as well. 

Bill

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L305-S5955

Thanks for adding to the thread, Bill.

-Jerry
Joshua_Isham

Rapid Storage Technology link is broken.

owensdj

[ Edited ]

I have the same problems after doing a System Restore on a A305-S6858 after installing a new 500GB Western Digital drive.  I found the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers on the Intel site, but when I run the driver install it says the "system does not meet the minimum requirements for this software," so I'm stuck with the same corrupted Vista install.  What do I do now?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Joshua_Isham wrote: Rapid Storage Technology link is broken.

Thank you, Joshua. Intel moved the page. I've repaired it now.

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A305-S6858 

Did you try the Microsoft fix? Did you restore again after that fix?

A hotfix rollup that improves Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 compatibility with Advanced Form...

Did you look at the drivers at the Intel link I repaired in my the first message in this thread?

-Jerry
owensdj

[ Edited ]

Jerry, i tried the updated Intel link, but it gave me the same error message when I ran it.  I'm pretty sure it was the same drivers I got before.

The Microsoft fix you mentioned says that SP2 for Vista is a prerequisite for the fix, but my install is at SP1 because it's just after a System Restore.  Do you still want me to try it?  Also, I don't even know if this is an Advanced Format Drive.  It's a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GG.

Here's another update.  Installing SP2 doesn't work.  Says "catastrophic failure." Installing the Microsoft hotfix doesn't work.  Error message.  I also tried the System Restore again giving it the Intel drivers on a flash drive.  Still the same problems as before. Unless someone has any other ideas it looks like I'll have to give up on this.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The following thread reports an unsigned wireless driver and no access to Windows Update in 64-bit Windows 7.

Everything got better after doing these things in this order.

-Installing the new Intel driver

-Installing the Microsoft hotfix

-Installing the WiFi driver

Realtek Wifi adapter cannot be verified after buying new hard drive

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The thread linked to below reports drivers that won't load in 64-bit Windows Vista after restoring to an advanced-format disk.

Things eventually straightened out after..

-Installing the new Intel storage driver

-Trying to apply the Microsoft hotfix (which failed to install) 

-Locating and installing the correct drivers

The Intel storage driver appears to be the key.

Satellite A505-S6965 Recovery-S​ome Drivers won't load

-Jerry