FruitRocks

Activating Windows 7 OEM with retail disc?

I accidentally deleted my partition and now I can't recover my computer. I'm an MSDN subscriber, so I can get a hold of a retail disc fairly easily. Could I use a retail Windows 7 Home Premium disc and activate it with that? I've been told that it is possible, as the disc is a mere coaster if anything.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Activating Windows 7 OEM with retail disc?

You can use whatever disk you want, as long as it has it's own Product Key.  The one on the tag on the bottom of the laptop will more than likely not work (as in a 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000 chance).

Otherwise you can order replacement recovery disks from Toshiba as per this post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm an MSDN subscriber, so I can get a hold of a retail disc fairly easily. Could I use a retail Windows 7 Home Premium disc and activate it with that?

If you're an MSDN subscriber with the proper subscription level you have access to activation keys for all the products that Microsoft sells. Subscriptions are listed here.

MSDN software is for developers. Notice the usage rules. The last sentence would seem to apply in your case.

Many MSDN subscribers use a computer for mixed use—both design, development, testing, and demonstration of your programs (the use allowed under the MSDN Subscription license) and some other use.  Using the software in any other way, such as for doing email, playing games, or editing a document is another use and is not covered by the MSDN Subscription license.  When this happens, the underlying operating system must also be licensed normally by purchasing a regular copy of Windows such as the one that came with a new OEM PC.
-Jerry
neutrino

You have two options and only two options:

1) Microsoft will rip you off for $106 by selling you a new activation key for a retail version. (you can download the disk image for free)

2) Toshiba will rip you off for $29.99 by selling you a new install disk (that they deliberately did not include with your computer) that will work with your old activation key.

Toshiba claims it's microsoft creating this situation and of course, Microsoft is claiming that this is Toshiba's doing.

The truth? Toshiba claims they do not include a disk in order to be environmentally friendly by not producing disks. Apparently having their customer buy the same blank disk and burning it themselves is better for the environment. I don't understand how this is, but somehow it makes sense to Toshiba.

Alternately one could by a memory stick (even more environmentally friendly, right?) and store the restore files on that. Either way, they put the responsibility of creating a back-up disk on the consumer. If you don't do this it is your own fault as far as Toshiba is concerned. They will not post a disk image for you to download because they claim Microsoft won't let them. One or both of these two companies are just plain ripping you off.

I'm buying a new laptop soon and guaranteed it will NOT be a Toshiba.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

A few things here. First, just about ANY laptop you buy will have the same create your own restore/recovery disks so don't go ranting on Toshiba as they are definitely not the only manufacturer that does this.

Next, none of them provide an actual install disk period, only a recovery disk that will allow you to restore the system back to the state it was originally shipped in. You can't do a custom or bare bones Windows only install from one of them.

Finally, why are you even replying to a post that is over three years old? That is especially bad when you post incorrect information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.