djape

AHCI vs Compatibility mode for SATA drives

My HDD crashed on my Toshiba Satellite L670.

I bought a new one, a Samsung 500gb 2.5 inch.

I installed stuff, works ok.

Tried recovering the old HDD. Found some websites saying that I should change the SATA compatibility from AHCI to Compatibility (IDE). SO I did. Then, the system wouldn't not boot from the NEW HDD.

WHen I switch back to AHCI, it works Ok.

Question: Is it possible that this AHCI/IDE stuff is messing up with my old HDD?

How can I recover data from the old HDD? The system can see it as a physical device, but there are no logical drives or anything. How can I fix MBR (if that's what the problem is) on an external drive?

Please tell me as much as possible.

Cheers

Djape

Regular Advisor
Rickez

Re: AHCI vs Compatibility mode for SATA drives

First understand that the recovery (factory) image, if that's what you are using, is developed with the machine setup using AHCI. So if you have the BIOS set to IDE, it will NOT boot after recovery. Secondly, using compatibility mode will reduce the performance of the drive. The only possible issue is that the system may need to load the AHCI driver in order for you to install the OS, BUT this is only if you are installing from a retail OS media. The factory recovery media already contains the AHCI drivers.

What do you mean by "Tried recovering the old HDD"?

You should just be able to plug in the old drive with a USB connection into the machine and copy off data to the new drive.

Rick...

mciceran

Re: AHCI vs Compatibility mode for SATA drives

Rick,

I have the reverse problem and have been searching the web for nearly a year without finding a remedy for it. 

You state: "The only possible issue is that the system may need to load the AHCI driver in order for you to install the OS, BUT this is only if you are installing from a retail OS media." This is precisely what I did. Every time I boot up now with the new installation, I get two boot errors:

Error 0271: Check date and time settings

Warning 0251: System CMOS checksum is bad - Default configuration used.

Press F1 to resume, F2 to Setup

I get these messages at every bootup. Pressing F1 rarely goes to a one-click Windows startup, usually looping back to the F1/F2 Toshipa window and I have to go to F2. In BIOS, I have to change the date and time which always goes to the factory defaults, and I have to change the SATA Controller mode from "AHCI" to "Compatibility" in the Advanced Setup. I save these settings, then I get through to Windows XP startup - sometimes Windows starts up directly, sometimes it goes to the "F8" menu. On rare occasions, pressing F1 repeatedly as soon as I turn on the power gets me to the normal Windows startup, but usually this loops back to the same initial errors.

Is there any way to repair this? My Toshiba L500 Satellite BIOS does not have a CMOS setting option for SATA or IDE, and I believe carefully followed the given instructions to install the Windows XP Home Edition (OEM) reach this result.

Thanks in advance for your response.