RobertR

A Disk Read Error Occurred

My son's satelite notebook has the error "A Disk Read Error Occurred, Press control Alt Delete to restart. The computer will not boot in safe mode. I have the recovery cd, but I stopped because I did not want to delete any of his data on the hard drive. Is there any way to recover the system without losing his files? His model number is A105-s4114

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: A Disk Read Error Occurred

Plenty of ways to do this. 

Option 1:  Boot to a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, or Knoppix and use it to transfer the files to an external hard drive, usb flash drive, or to another computer on a network.

Option 2:  Remove the hard drive, place it in an external enclosure, hook it up to a running system, and transfer the files to that system or usb flash drive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.