soooomad
Accepted Solution

satellite shuts down randomly

Yep. Watching RuPaul's Dragrace and screen goes black. No warning just complete shut down. Did it overheat or is it a Windows prob? I can turn it right back on of course it takes forever to get back to where I was. By the way it took 19 minutes to talk to a human at Toshiba support and even then it wasn't really talking because he didn't speak English. Please lend me your thoughts even though I am being bitchy about it.

Peter

Re: satellite shuts down randomly

While I don't know for sure, that does sound like it could be overheating. Ensure the notebook as proper ventilation when using it. For example, don't let it sit on a bed or other surface into which it can sink. 

- Peter
SalmacisM

My Satellite has been acting in the same way - however, my fans are cleaned and system and whole laptop are checked and it worked normal for about 2 days (and I've been working constantly in CAD, Photoshop and Corel). Then suddenly - same again!:smileysad:(
What I noticed is that it works fine for a while and then when the lamp for battery shows red and starts charging, I can hear some crackling and usually soon it turns off. If I don't shut it down by myself when the red lamp shows, but leave it to go on 5% of battery, it shuts down by itself suddenly. Also, what is weird is that the cable of AC adapter also becomes very hot in some places.
So what could be the problem? What should I do? I have no ideas anymore...

Peter

Try removing the battery. If the problem doesn't happen again, you'll know it's a bad battery. If it does happen, try running the computer without AC power and only battery to see if it's the AC adapter.

- Peter
soooomad

Since I posted this I've been paying more attention to what's near/blocking the vents and it hasn't happened again. I must admit I usually watch Logo while under my feather comforter, laptop on lap. So the fluffiness may have been to blame :catembarrassed: Any way, thanks for the help!

Peter

No problem!

- Peter
SalmacisM

I was thinking myself to try something like that - when it's only on battery, it works though the battery needs new charging pretty soon:smileysad: 

So I'll try again:smileyhappy:  Thanks

busmomT2

Mine is doing the same thing It is a Sat. A215-S1518 I have it on a laptop holder so it gets plenty air flow and I keep it clean! I have tried with battery in and out... But after a while it still shuts down  I have not a clue..

Peter

It could still be heat related. If you haven't recently, use a can of compressed air with the laptop turned off to blow out the fans and vents. If the problem persists, you might want to have it serviced.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
Mr-Wizard

I will suggest another method of keeping it cool and that is to search for the program called "TThrotle" which will allow you to monitor you CPU temps plus you can set the temp limit as to when it will start throttling the CPU back.

I used this while I was crunching numbers for the Boinc project, other wise it would use all 8 processors at 100% and the temp would get up to around 180 degrees F

I set mine for a max of 165F the max before the Toshiba shuts down is 100 C or 212 F

This program has helped out a lot for me, although a desktop would never run this hot, these laptops are really being severely beaten up!

Peter wrote:

It could still be heat related. If you haven't recently, use a can of compressed air with the laptop turned off to blow out the fans and vents. If the problem persists, you might want to have it serviced.

mrhatman13

[ Edited ]

I changed my power settings to full power when the power cable is unplugged and I haven't had the problem.  Has been a month now since my last incident.

Has been a couple months now with no issues since changing my power settings and still no random shutdown.  Will post again if I figure out why this setting change works.  

Occasional Contributor
MarkJS

purchased a Satellite S855 in December 2012. It has a nifty Toshiba program that runs on the right side of the taskbar. It's called "Toshiba PC Health Monitor".

It has cool graphics containing battery information- charge, strength... and CPU temp and even Fan speed....

The only problem is that I don't know if I'll keep it on, as the TOU says that pc data is sent to Toshiba periodically.

rayDatroublesho

I replaced my cpu and gpu paste with a thermal pad bought off of ebay. The specs are one inch thich ..cut to the hieght and width of each component.....It is still overheating. My fan is cleaned ram is dusted and fan does turn on about 30 seconds after system boots.

AltheEngineer

Blowing the dust out of the fan worked fine and then it finally wouldn't come on today.  Thought it was hard drive, but turned out to be mother board.  On inspection there were dust balls in the channel to the heat fins at the output of the fan.  The repair list shows that as a $384 part with service included.  So keep it clean by blowing from the side of the laptop to get the dust out the bottom.

Jenes

try removing your power button, I was having the same issue.  pretty much wont boot, shuts down within the first couple seconds of pressing power button or gets to login and shuts down.  i removed my power button(the silver plastic that lights up, not the electric portion) and now im not having any issues.  gl and let me know if that helps you out!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

I find it to be a very useful tool myself and I really don't mind if Toshiba wants to know the CPU temperature, speed of my fan, health of my battery, etc.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
rprieto

I've been struggling with the overheating issue for weeks. Think I found a workaround. First the basics: the machine has been serviced recently (because the first motherboard fried during processing), I've vacuumed it, heat sink looks clean (I do not have access to the inner parts because the machine is still under warranty), I use a fan base for extra air circulation. Even so, every time I tried a more intense process (I am a biologist and have to run some data analysis programs) the computer would overheat and shut down. I've installed two temperature monitoring programs and could see the temp rising rapidly until becoming critical (over 90ºC; 194ºF) just before shutdown (when it reached 100ºC; 212ºF). Today I've tried something that seems to have solved the issue (it is actually running some analyses on the background while I am writing). Here is what seems to have solved it, at least in my case:

- Opened the Power Options (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings)

- Under the Balanced plan (used by default) went to "Change Advanced Power Settings" (right under the brightness sliders)

- Under "Processor power management\Maximum Processor state" lowered the level to 90% (both under battery and puggeld in)

Temperatures now are steady, ranging between 69-73ºC (156-163F)

SM68

I've been having a similar problem. However:

• Checking vent after shutdown reveals it to almost always be about normal temperature - though occasionally, it has been fairly hot
  • Removing battery seems to help, however it still occasionally happens
  • Using only battery ALMOST eliminates the problem

I am on my second hard drive, second battery, and third AC adapter. It has been doing this since I bought it. And since the day I bought it, I've been using it to play many Steam games, Terraria in particular, as well as flash games, Minecraft, and Youtube. Any ideas? 

- Some schmuck who just registered his account

NatanielMagsino

i have similar problem with my toshiba satellite pro a300.it shuts down radomly then restars with window error recovery.i thinks it does'nt deal with overheating because i am using my laptop on glass and it shuts down in less than 5 mins..can somebody help me with this problem.??thanks guys..

surely

my satellite p855-s5312 keeps restarting without booting to desktop moreover i cant access boot menu on dis laptop pls am stranded pls help me