PaulA37
Accepted Solution

Num Lock (P845)

I have a new Satellite P845 and cannot find how to activate the num lock. :mansad: I searched in the user's guide (the pdf file) but I could not find anything by entering keywords like lock, num lock etc. or looking at the F keys.

Can someone please tell me how to activate it?? I tried FN+F11 because I read somewhere that this is the way to activate the num lock on Satellite laptops, but it doesn't work with this model...

Thank you for your help!!

Paul

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Re: Num Lock (P845)

[ Edited ]

Why would you need number lock on a keyboard that doesn't have a numberpad?

PaulA37

I need to insert ASCII characters sometimes and hoped I didn't have to open the character map or use "insert symbol" in Word (when I am using Word) every time. I thought there would be a way to do that. Usually in laptops it is possible to activate the number lock or the numper pad somehow. It is even possible with tiny netbooks...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Always tell us which Satellite P845 you have when you post here. There is a label on the bottom.

In the meantime..

You can toggle numlock by executing a tiny file. Download the attached Numlock.txt file. Change the .txt extension to .vbs, so the the file name becomes Numlock.vbs. If it's useful, you'll want to create a keyboard shortcut to execute it.

-Jerry
PaulA37

Thank you, I will do that.

And the model is P840/015. Sorry for the confusion, my father just bought it.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P840/015 (PSPJ6A-015001)

Looking through your manual (attached), there does not appear to be a numlock function on that keyboard. That is, the keys are not shared that way. Are they?

-Jerry
PaulA37

No, that's what surprised me. I thought there would be some sort of shortcut or hot key, but I could not find anything.

PaulA37

OK, the only way I have found to do it is with the on-screen keyboard....

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If numlock is a valid state, the VBS file I supplied should toggle it when executed.

-Jerry
PaulA37

I think so, but the on-screen keyboard should still be open. I pinned it to my taskbar now for easy access.