NaBUru38
Accepted Solution

Keyboard and warranty issues

Dear Toshiba staff,

I'm a Uruguayan resident and bought a Toshiba Pro P855 laptop computer in a Best Buy shop in the United States. As soon as I tried the computer, I found a problem with the keyboard that requires to press the Fn key to use the F1-F12 keys, but more importantly prevents me from opening the BIOS setup menu.

Therefore, I went to the Centro Nacional de Servicios, which is an official Toshiba support center in Uruguay. I described and showed the problem to them. There I was told that the problem could be hardware or software.

Then the technician added that since I bought the computer in the United States, the warranty is not valid in Uruguay. However, the warranty I got with the computer cleary says that is is valid "for Latin America" among other territories. So I called the Toshiba call center, and the technician told me the same story.

Why I get told that, when the warranty says that it is valid for Latin America?

Then, supposing that I actualy have no warranty here, can you help me fix the computer though this forum?

Thank you!

Peter

Re: Keyboard and warranty issues

Can you post the full model and model-part number for the laptop off of the label on the bottom in the thread?

Then, if you'd like to send a private message with your serial number (don't post it in the thread), I'll check the warranty information.

- Peter
NaBUru38

My computer is a Satellite Pro P855-S5200. The part number is PSPKAU-00F009. Thank you!

Peter

Thanks for the information. I''m looking into it and will let you know what I find.

- Peter
Peter

The warranty appears to only apply within the United States. Was there packaging or any materials that made you think it would apply in Uruguay?

- Peter
NaBUru38

The warranty says "One (1) Year Standard Limited Warranty (“Limited Warranty”) for the United States, United States Territories, Puerto Rico, Latin America, and the Caribbean."  By "Limited" I understand that there might be some restrictions, like a shorter period or less fixes covered. But it's supposed to be valid in Uruguay.

Peter

Can you tell me where you're reading that warranty information so I can send it along to someone to look at?

- Peter
NaBUru38

It's what's written in the warranty document I got with the computer. At first sight, it seem to be identical to this document.

Peter

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I'm still trying to figure this out for you and will let you know as soon as I know anything.

- Peter
Peter

Hello again,

I was talking with someone who understands the warranty better than I do, and it turns out that I missed this as well. Note that bold and underlined portion:

One (1) Year Standard Limited Warranty (“Limited Warranty”) for the United States, United States
Territories, Puerto Rico, Latin America, and the Caribbean.

What Does Your Warranty Cover? Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. (“Toshiba”) warrants
that the Toshiba branded product you purchased for your end use (“Product”) is free from defects in
materials and workmanship under normal use during the Limited Warranty Period. This Limited
Warranty covers the Product for warranty service only within the country where the Product was
originally purchased and only covers Products purchased as new.

The warranty is the same warranty for the US, US Territories, Puerto Rico, Latin America, and the Caribbean, but it still only applies within the country the product was purchased.

- Peter
NaBUru38

Oh, I missed that section. I'm really depressed by that.

Finally I managed to open the BIOS setup menu and fix the Fn key issue. So that's it.

Peter

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry about the misunderstanding, but I'm glad you got that fixed.

I missed that section too at first. I kept talking to different people at Toshiba trying to figure it out before I finally noticed it.

- Peter
charruaX

Hello Peter, I'm Uruguayan resident too, and I bought the same laptop a few weeks ago at US.

I have made a Bios upgrade , and now my laptop is dead, I need a new Bios to replace the bricked one. Can you help me please??

For NaBUru38: Don't update the bios!!! (bios v1.70 published at support.toshiba.com)

Tks in advance.

Peter

I'm sorry to hear that charruaX. Unfortunately, you'll need to contact customer support.

- Peter
charruaX

I have called to customer service but derived me to an official local service.

There is someone at Toshiba who can help me??

I need information of the motherboard (chipsets, id) or the BIOS identification string. I need this to adquire the correct bios chip, I don't like the idea to send it to a service and desarm it, it's new!!!

Otherwise I need the correct name for the bios.rom to make the bios recovery proccess from usb.

I appreciate your help and support!!! Tks in advance.

Peter

Unfortunately, I don't have that information. I think your best bet is to see what customer service can recommend.

- Peter