Occasional Contributor
eldiener
Accepted Solution

Connecting to a wireless router

I have an older wireless router, the DLink DI-714P+ connected to a DSL modem, and would like my Satellite Pro L300D's wireless LAN to connect through it to the Internet. I do not see any instructions how to use the Atheros 802.11b/g wireless LAN on the laptop.

My router does have settings for wireless LAN and supports the 802.11b wireless network. The D-Link settings for the wireless access point are network ID(SSID), set to 'default', channel, set to '6', and security, set to 'None' with options for 'WEP','802.1','WPA-PSK', and 'WPA". There is also a page of wireless performance settings I can set in the D714P+ setup.

Any help hooking up my laptop to my wireless router so that it can access the Internet through the router would be most welcome. Thanks !

Regular Advisor
iSkO

Re: Connecting to a wireless router

eldiener wrote:

I have an older wireless router, the DLink DI-714P+ connected to a DSL modem, and would like my Satellite Pro L300D's wireless LAN to connect through it to the Internet. I do not see any instructions how to use the Atheros 802.11b/g wireless LAN on the laptop.

My router does have settings for wireless LAN and supports the 802.11b wireless network. The D-Link settings for the wireless access point are network ID(SSID), set to 'default', channel, set to '6', and security, set to 'None' with options for 'WEP','802.1','WPA-PSK', and 'WPA". There is also a page of wireless performance settings I can set in the D714P+ setup.

Any help hooking up my laptop to my wireless router so that it can access the Internet through the router would be most welcome. Thanks !

Hi,

Satellite Pro L300D series is wifi capable . Here are the things that you need to do to connect to a wireless router.

. Check if Wireless Switch is on  ( for this system the on / off switch is located infront of the system aligned to the Audio jack )

. Click Start then go to Connect to

. Look for the name of your Router and Double click it.

Once it says connected. Try opening up Internet Explorer.

That should help you out connect to your router:smileywink:

I don't know if that router is compatible with Vista's wireless or not. Best to ask DLink.

Or maybe this applies:  Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP se...

In the meantime, can you connect using an Ethernet cable t o the router?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
eldiener

That worked fine. Thanks !