Occasional Contributor
pghmike
Accepted Solution

touchpad does not work on Satellite L50-A (Win 7 Pro)

[ Edited ]

The touchpad does not work on a newly purchased Satellite L50-A running Windows 7 Pro.  Instead I am using an older Logitech wireless mouse.  I have uninstalled the Synaptic drivers and re-installed them.  I have used drivers from both the Synaptic and Toshiba support sites.  Most recently I opened Control Panel> Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Mouse and encountered the following message, "Unable to connect to the Synaptic Pointing Device Driver.  If you have installed another PS/2 Pointing Device Driver please uninstall the Synaptics driver by clicking on the yes button.  You then need to reinstall your pointing device driver for your external device again.  Do you want to uninstall the Synaptics driver now?".  I selected yes and restarted the laptop.  Subsequent to login and restart, I had to reconnect the Logitech wireless mouse and then re-installed the Synaptic Divers using the Toshiba Application Installer.  I used the F5 key to enable the Synpatic touchpad.  No luck.  I am trying to avoid a system restore because I will lose Microsoft Office 2013 and a host of other applications.  This laptop does not have an accessibe battery.  So what is next?

Super Advisor
eagle3

Re: touchpad does not work on Satellite L50-A (Win 7 Pro)

Two things to try :

Does that touch pad have a spot to double tap in the top left corner of touchpad to turn it on and off ? (some do)

Also, In case the special key functions are turned off, try pressing fn key anf f5 to see if that works.

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 7 ****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
Occasional Contributor
pghmike

Tried both.  Still no luck   The on/off indicator in the upper left hand corner of the touch pad is unlit.  Tried tapping twice with no luck.

Thank you.

Occasional Contributor
pghmike

[ Edited ]

Performed a system restore to earliest point.  Touch pad still does not work and does not show up in Device Manager.

Super Advisor
eagle3

[ Edited ]

While new you have 90 days free phone support call 1-800-457-7777. They can connect into your laptop if needed to fix it for you or tell you if its a hardware problem so you can decide to send in for repair or return for a refund, if its within the first 15 days. (you said newly purchased)

My touchpad light is off when turned on and is lite when the touchpad is turned off.

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 7 ****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
Occasional Contributor
pghmike

[ Edited ]

Purchased about 9/15/2013 with extended warranty.  I will call this evening.  Is therea Chat option?  My touchpad light does not light up one way or another.

Toshiba Satellite L50-A  with Windows 7 Pro, Toshiba Portege R100

Super Advisor
eagle3

[ Edited ]

Great call them, if needed they will ask you to go to a site (log me in 123)and enter a code to let them control your laptop to fix it.

Toshiba only has chat for buying, A lot of us would like a chat for service.

Let us know what you find out thanks!

Occasional Contributor
pghmike

Final determination is hardware failure.  The process required four telephone calls plus a heated discussion with a supervisor.  The whole process, as expected, took several hours over two days and required re-performing things already tried.  The good news is that I never had to wait very long to speak with a tech support rep.  The irritant came mainly toward the end, but I will get to that later.  They never tried remote accessing the laptop.  Call #1 -  instructed to download and install drivers.  Call ended.  I downloaded the drivers and intalled them.  No luck.  Call #2 -  instructed to perform reset (shutdown> remove applicances > hold down zero key and press start button).  Recovery began.  Followed instructions on screen.  Required one hour plus. Again, no luck.  Touch pad still did not work.   Call #3 - Tech rep finally agreed to hardware problem and began to describe return process.  Call abruptly terminated.  Call #4 - Tech rep read file and described return process which was going to require that I pay packaging and shipping to Toshiba.  Spoke with supervisor who agreed to send shipping box with prepaid shipping label.  Awaiting email from Supervisor with return instructions.  All in all, a typical technical support experience requiring several telephone calls and maddening rehashing of same information.  The experience did not endear me to Toshiba.  Had the laptop been purchased locally, the problem would have been handled simpler and faster.  Geek Squad comes to mind.

Super Advisor
eagle3

Thanks for posting your results!

I hope you get it back fully functioning soon.

mikemangen

Well all I can say is good luck. I had the same problem, sent it in this September and it took many weeks to get it back. I paid extra for Win 7 and when I got it back they had erased that and brought to Windows 8 because that was what it was supposed to be said they. Well whoppee. I asked to Win 7 back and was told to pound sand. Well they did fix the touchpad....I have owned many toshiba's, most likely my last.