Jim003

l675 compatible disk drives question

[ Edited ]

I have l675-s7115 laptop and the SATA drive has gone bad. I cannot seem to find how to purchase a Toshiba drive and was wondering if any of the 3rd party drives manufacturer drives are compatible with the machine.

The drive went very suddenly. Symptoms started with e read error when starting the machine. After few attempts to restart the drive started knocking repeatedly when starting the machine and is prettymuch unrecognizable by the machine.

I really wanted to try and save data on the drive but it looks like all is lost and I want to get the machine back up and running as quickly as I can. My experience has been that using third party drive if they are compatible has been more reliable long term.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

Re: l675 compatible disk drives question

Jim,

Toshiba uses 3rd party manufacturers for their "OEM" HDDs. Most of the Laptops I see coming across my dest have Hitachi HDDs.  I would also like to add that these Hitachi drives are unreliable at best. I frequently replace them with Western Digital Scorpio drives...either blue or black...depends on what your budget allows.  Black are a little more expensive.  You should also be able to use a larger disk than what came with the Laptop.  WD also has a NEW line out called Green, but I have no experience with them yet.

Amazon has an abundant source of supply and pretty reasonable too. You will need to aquire a copy of Windows 7

LEGAL 7 Links

You can use your 25 digit key code to get through the installation process on the new disk. However, it may not succeed with the automatic activation process as this key code is OEM and is a one-time-use number.  You may have to get to the screen where it prompts you to call customer support and they will step you through the process.  You have to convice them of who you are and what you are trying to do and after about 1.5 hours you will have an activated windows 7 installation.  I suggest you create an image ASAP to prevent this from happening in the future, but your NEW WD Drive should last you for many years.

Good Luck.

"My comments are my own reality" Consider these in addition to other sources. I only know what I know.
Dan
Jim003

great thank you for the feedback. i have used western digital in the past and had really good lucj with them.

as far as the os I had windows 7 installed from the factory. the box hits a year old March 5th.

I was hpoing to just put a drive in and use the Toshiba media disk to put it back to factory. but I am thinking it would mean a windows installation from disk if I change3 the drive to soemthing other than a Toshiba drive thats the same size.

the drive that failed went very quickly. right now all it does is click when I boot and the controller doesnt see in the bios.

Jim 

Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

[ Edited ]

Hi Jim,

I just saw your post...your welcome for the WD HDD advice.

The Toshiba media disk...only works restoring the working OEM HDD that came with your LAPTOP. Like I said in my first post...Toshiba does not make HDDs, they use primarily Hitachi drives...that have a tendancy to fail...prematurely...even with light to moderate use.

The replacement HDD Size does not matter.  I would get as big as your budget can afford. Sometimes the larger drives are acutally cheaper.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you will be able to access your HDD due to its severe electro/mechanical failure.

The OEM HDD that the media disk works with has 3 partitions. 

1. A 1.5 GB Toshiba Hidden Partition

2. Your C: drive Active Boot Partition

3. The Factory Restore Partition Active / Hidden 

With a 100% operational drive I have been able to successfully CLONE the OEM drives and upgraded them to Larger WD Drives for my customers.

Looks like you are going to be re-installing windows and going through the telephone activation process.

Let me know if you run into any snags along the way.

"My comments are my own reality" Consider these in addition to other sources. I only know what I know.
Dan
Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

If you buy an external SATA HDD carrier (10 to 30 bucks) If it is a mechancal issue with the Platters / Heads you may have ONE shot at recovering your data.

200 Ways to Revive your Hard Drive

But if it is a Controller related issue...the Freeze method might not help. It is possible, but not recommended to SWAP out the controller boards, but you would have to be able to find the exact HDD and have the necessary tools and skill to effect that.

Dan
Jim003

put the drive in an SAT HDD doc and it did the exact same thing, click click click click and no drive shows up.

I havent "Froze it" yet, that will be the last ditch attempt to get some data off it. like to have some family pics etc. etc. that I hadnt gotten around to backing up

Obviously I'm hoping the controller isnt botched. the only way to know for sure is to plug a drive into it. its time to buy a drive. I may even just run to Best Buy later and pick a WD Blue up, probably pay through the nose for the convience of that.

Thanks, I will post up as I move along.

Jim 

Jim003

wel it backup ... almost. Western Digital is in and windows installed. alot of the devices arent there yet. touchpad camera wireless.

anyone know if there is a complete device driver download or do I need get them individaully from the download area???

Jim003

I have a working machine but getting drivers seems to be a difficult endevor. IMO

right now I am only getting default pnp video from windows. so video it pitifull. I dont see much control over many devices in the device list so there may be more I am missing.

it was a hunt and peck effort just to get the wireless working along with the camera. after 4 wireless driver updates I finally hit a driver that seemed to enable to wireless adaptor.

if anyone has any insight on this stuff please chime in

JIm