tnt3087
Accepted Solution

downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7 ultimate

I bought this laptop(sat.c855d)last month and I really don't like the windows 8 that came with it so I have now purchased windows 7 ultimate to put back on it.My question becomes can I do this without loosing my toshiba programs such as tos.video player,etc?Would I atleast be able to redownload all of my toshiba programs from the site that would be compatible with the windows 7 OS?Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7 ultimate

can I do this without loosing my toshiba programs such as tos.video player,etc?

No. It needs to be a clean install.

Would I atleast be able to redownload all of my toshiba programs from the site that would be compatible with the windows 7 OS?

Possibly some. Maybe none. Maybe there aren't even Windows 7 drivers for your model.

You haven't told us which Satellite C855D you have. So we can't even look it up. There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
tnt3087

whoops,it is a c855d-s5320 sorry I forgot to give ya'll the rest of the model.And I would like to say thanks for getting back with me so soon

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C855D-S5320

Downloads are here.

From the spec above, you can see what's on the laptop.

By filtering the Downloads for 64-bit Windows 7, you can see that this model is not supported.

Good to know before you start messing around.

-Jerry
SheepReaper

[ Edited ]

Big difference between "capable" and "supported". Your hardware can most certainly run Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. And most of your devices will be supported by Windows 7 universal drivers. Whenever you do an installation from a Retail disk, you install a clean system without all of the vendor/partner supplied bloatware. "Not supported" just means you won't get any help from Toshiba in doing it, nor will they supply you with any custom drivers or re-branded software. Don't be bullied into using Windows 8. It's wonderful for some, but it's not right for everyone. Think about when Vista first came out: horrible system; many downgraded to XP. Same thing is happening now.

Based on the specs of your machine, most of the hardware will be supported. Any missing drivers will be shown in Device Manager and can be downloaded from AMD.com. Also, you can search the entire Toshiba site by the name of a specific Toshiba application you want, and most of the time, you will find it available for the OS you need under a different model.

-

Power to the user.

tnt3087

[ Edited ]

That makes alot more sense.After some more thought I have downloaded classicshell and have restored the start menu to windows 8.So far it is working good,but I will reserve judgement on windows 8 for another couple of weeks because I want to give it a fair shake before I uninstall it or install windows 7 ultimate.I would like to thank Jerry and Power to the User for helping me out with this,along with some others who were talking about Start8 and Classicshell

TimTheTechie

[ Edited ]

Hmm if I were you and have already purchased Windows 7, I would go ahead a install it. My brother and I both got laptops recently, and he has the exact same computer except a newer model that came out a couple months later than mine did. His has Windows 8 on it and I just can't help but laugh everytime I watch him try to navigate and do things that are so much easier to do on Windows 7. Just my recommendation. Best of luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Timothy

Gamer/Techie

Best Budget Gaming Mice

elchaplin

I bought a Toshiba satellite C855D-S5105, serial number 1D214225Q, model number PSCBQU-00400J. It came with windows 8. I do not like windows 8 so I installed windows 7 and now I can not install network adapter, I cannot find network driver. Can someone help me to find drivers? This is my e-mail elchaplin-@hotmail.com

charliemike

Jerry, wouldn't the European Drivers work?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

wouldn't the European Drivers work?

Satellite C855D-S5320 (PSCBQU-00E007)

I had already checked the equivalent part-number family (PSCBQx) at the European, Canadian, Australian, and Asian sites. Otherwise, I would have replied differently. 

-Jerry