john4sd

Win7 Dectecting Hard Disk Problem with TOSHIBA MK505GSX ATA Device

I have a relatively new Satellite L655D-S5109 - it has been solid - except recently I'm getting an error :smileysad: from Windows 7 indicating "Windows detected a hard disk problem" - (lots of warnings about backing up data) and at the bottom of the error message says

======================================================

"The following hard disks are reporting failure:

Disk Name:  TOSHIBA MK5065GSX ATA Device

Volume: D:\E:\F:\C:

==================================================

These are all of my logical hard drive partitions.  

I am highly computer savoy.  Are there any ways to gain more information as to the issue?  

Other than replacing the hard drive - which I don't want to do necessarily - any suggestions or thoughts on what this might be?  I shouldn't have to replace the hard drive in a laptop that is only about 5 months old.    I would like to know how serious this might or might not be.  Windows isn't very helpful here - I want to know exactly what the error is and what's going on.... and how to ideally fix it...... :smileyhappy:

Thanks in advance - John

john4sd

Re: Win7 Dectecting Hard Disk Problem with TOSHIBA MK505GSX ATA Device

New Info - 

Windows 7 can't find any problems with the drives directly -

Computer Mgt - Disk Management - Select each logical partition - Ran Tools - Check for Errors -

Windows 7 indicates each and every one of them is "healthly" - no problems detected whatsoever.

Also now the error messages have stopped coming up.

Not sure what is going on - but I'm going to replace my mechanical hard drive with an SSD disk anyway.

Leaning towards OCZ Vertex 2 OCZ 120MB SATA II MLC drive - super fast and will give me better peace of

mind with the mechancial MK505GSX drive going bad.  Even though it's not giving me errors right now

- going to take action to avoid disaster before it hits me.

Hope this helps someone.  I never did find out what the issue was - but it seems to have gone away for

now. 

- John

dacerealkilluh

I have been having similar issues. Initially I got the same error message. I had installed a new Western Digital drive and it went bad within 2 months. I RMA the drive and now the new drive has not had a disk error message but I have had to reinstall windows more times than I care to count because the disk keeps becoming corrupted. It starts out fine and then I get extremely slow boot times. Eventually data corruption begins to show and CHKDSK runs every time I start it. The latest time it seemed to be running fine and then I tried to boot it today and it starts very slow and when I try to login I find that the display driver is corrupted along with the windows profile. I don't know if it is a controller issue or what but I suspect it either has to do with bad controller drivers or some hardware issue with the controller. I know the drive is good because I ran diagnostics and test it in another system. Does anybody at Toshiba have answers?

smarti

I have the same issue. Toshiba laptop hard drive crashed when computer was 1 week old. Best buy replaced it with same model. computer hard drive crashed again after 3 months. Best buy sent it out for repair. I have had this computer back for 2 months and I am getting the blue screen again, warning me to back up data because my drive will crash. I have written to Toshiba but they have never contacted me. i will never buy another toshiba again. 3 hard drives in 6 months, on 2 different computers!!!! I'de say thay have some type of problem with their hard drives.

Regular Contributor
mikie39

I've seen these problems with lots of toshiba hard drives during years of computer repair work.  Toshiba drives fail so badly that I remove and throw them away.  I've never had any problems with western digital drives (in desktop or laptop use) and I recommend using 7200 RPM drives to improve laptop performance.  On the desktop side I recommend raptor or velociraptor 10,000 RPM drives from western digital (the performance improvement is fantastic).

Of course going to SSD will give you more reliability then any hard drive can provide.

Side note about western digital -- If they ever fail during warranty (which is usually 5 years) the company not only replaces them but often sends a larger, faster or newer unit.

Enjoy,

Mike

RipMeOffAgain

SMART Hard Drive Check Has Detected An Iminent Failure

Soon after I took my HP G72B66US Laptop [ with a Toshiba MK5065GSK ] in to Staples, where I had bought it eight (8) months earlier, to have them charge me $10. for a Tune-Up, I started getting this Iminent Failure message on Restart.

According to the message and subsequent internal testing, the Toshiba MK5065GSK Internal Hard Disk is suffering from an Iminent failure.

The internal Intel Rapid Storage Technology program reminds me that the Port: 0 internal hard disk Status is: At Risk

I performed a number of the HP reccomended tests including a Hard Disk Reset.

I even Reset this laptop to Out-of-Box [factory] Settings.

The Iminent Failure messages continue to appear everytime I Restart.

HP's online/over-the-phone support is so complicated, I can't wait to get started. I have yet to discover a HP authorized in-store repair shop so, I won't get screwed with shipping charges and waiting until the warranty runs out for the repair turnaround.

Staples wants $239. for an extended warranty. This laptop cost me $549. new. I should have seen the red flag.

If you know a decent lawyer, you might stand a better chance at trying to get either of the manufacturers to refund and go elsewhere for your next computer. I will go down that exact road, if HP and/or Staples jerks me around too much.

Ace Organizer
Trina

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

zekisuleiman

Re: Win7 Dectecting Hard Disk Problem with TOSHIBA MK5065GSX Device

window 7 is detecting hard disk problem with TOSHIBA MK5065GSX Device and the problem is port 0 is at risk . what can i do to fix the problem?

"The following hard disks are reporting failure:

Disk Name:  TOSHIBA MK5065GSX  Device

Volume: D:\E:\F:\C: